Author Topic: H.M.S. Polyphemus (1881), not quite a submarine  (Read 8232 times)

Offline BobKiralfy

• Able Seaman
H.M.S. Polyphemus (1881), not quite a submarine
« on: 30 April 2012, 11:22:44 »
I am hoping that someone on the forum can help with information to help build this model, using the 1/60 scale hull from Deans Marine.  Unfortunately the only plans available are with the N.M.M. and I am advised these could cost up to ?400.  What I am looking for is someone who has built this ship, may have plans & detail photos for it, or may be willing for me to take detail photo's of their model.

I realise this is a long shot.

HMS Polyphemus was possibly the weirdest ship ever to be commissioned by the Royal Navy.  A Protected Torpedo Ram capable of a then-stunning 18 knots, and partially submersible in attack trim for maximum stealth where the waist was almost awash.  Twin additional rudders under the bow.  The first use of underwater beam torpedo tubes, plus a 5th tube inside the huge ram.  Building one has certain challenges.  To properly simulate attack mode construction has to be treated as a surface running submarine. 

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
Re: H.M.S. Polyphemus (1881), not quite a submarine
« Reply #1 on: 30 April 2012, 13:15:42 »
sorry Bob, i would have to pass on this one, i have not even researched the type of ship, although i have seen the Hull, and it does have a very sharp (long) Bowram..

Offline Manxman1831

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 30 April 2012, 14:08:44 »
Google gave this link http://www.cityofart.net/bship/polyphemus.html

Hope this helps some.

Offline BobKiralfy

• Able Seaman
« Reply #3 on: 30 April 2012, 14:22:31 »
Thank you, but I have just about everything I can trawel from Google.  Good article, plus the Wikipedia feature http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Polyphemus_(1881)
If I can get reasonable info on the decks and superstructure I can build it

Offline BobKiralfy

• Able Seaman
« Reply #4 on: 05 May 2012, 10:13:13 »
Firstly, some sincere Thank You?s.
  • To the gentleman who has been in touch by PM, very kindly loaning me his research file and plans.
  • To John Hollis who built the original model, who has emailed me very helpful information. .
  • To Ron Dean who at short notice made up a hull in time to bring to Beale Park on Sunday.

Having a detailed hull makes a big difference, and with the wealth of information supplied this project has been made possible.  I understand that this ship will require about 20 lb of ballast, and that the bow rudders were not very effective.  Due to the waist being almost awash when underway I intend constructing as if a surface running submarine.

Thanks again !