Author Topic: what to do????  (Read 3712 times)

Offline big ian

• Able Seaman
what to do????
« on: 13 October 2010, 17:02:43 »
Hello, my name's Ian :smiley1:, i have recently joined the forum and just brought a model of HMS Javelin, having had a little bit of experience building model boats, i thought id go for it and build myself a boat, what i want to know is.......the port holes in the hull of javelin, is it best to drill them out or paint them later intact as ive seen both and a bit of advice on what you think is the best result would be welcome  :).
 Thanks in advance.

Ian.

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
Re: what to do????
« Reply #1 on: 13 October 2010, 17:42:08 »
there is lots of things one could do, i guess that depends on how good the Modelbuilding skills are!

for my next model (a third class cruiser) i will probably drill them all out then add a backing to seal the hole and once the hull is painted i will fill them in with epoxy which stets clear when dry.

from Mark in the HMS Kelly thread
1. Using the right size end mill for the porthole scale, jig the hull on a block and mill out the porthole, but don't break through. Then using a hole punch and some thin clear polystyrene sheet punch out windows the same size. When the hull has been painted, the porthole recesses can be painted a darker colour and the porthole glass stuck in using non-fuming super glue. I have used this successfully for many years and after several mishaps all I have lost is the window and not watertight integrity.

2. If you are cutting out the portholes so you can illuminate your model, back the portholes with wood and then mill through the lot. Cut perspex rod to the combined thickness of the hull and wood, polish to a good finish by holding in a drill, then once the hull is painted, apply a ring of a suitable thick water proof glue around the end of the rods and with a screwing action put them in the holes. The screwing action will spread the glue evenly and make a good seal. Hint: try this on a prototype first to get the amount of glue correct so you don't end up with a large amount all around the edge of the porthole.

Offline big ian

• Able Seaman
« Reply #2 on: 13 October 2010, 17:53:49 »
Hi colin, thanks for the info, im going for the drill out and fill with epoxy.  ^^^

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: 13 October 2010, 18:04:23 »
not forgeting the porthole rims to make everything stand out

some can be found here