Author Topic: Slow response of rudder-angle?  (Read 6587 times)

Andrée

Slow response of rudder-angle?
« on: 14 August 2009, 17:36:11 »
Hi there!

I think that the biggest problem with modelships is the fast respone of speed and course-changes. A real ship has a very slow response in these parameters, being slower with bigger ships. According to this problem I wonder if someone knows if there are any devices which can be installed to prevent these problems, for example a device which make the response of the rudder-angle slower? I think it's a very big intrusion in the scale-performance to have a response which's almost immediate. 

Best Regards
Andrée Falkenberg
Sweden

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
Re: Slow response of rudder-angle?
« Reply #1 on: 14 August 2009, 17:52:43 »
some servos have a very slow responce... for example the servos that are used in retractable gear in Model Aeroplane's..

another way would be to reduce the voltage to the servo motor...

as for the speed of a model thats of course down to the motor that is installed, a high torque, low RPMs is always the best type of motor for Merchant ships.

Andrée

« Reply #2 on: 14 August 2009, 20:01:56 »
That was a good idea, perhaps I can find a servo with a very low speed. I have to check this up, I think it would be great to get a response at 0 - 45 degrees in five seconds when giving full rudder.

/Andrée

Offline karlgalster

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 15 August 2009, 12:02:58 »
Action Electronics have the very thing for you. It is called the P96 "ServoMorph". It is a device placed between the receiver and the servo which can limit the movement of the servo and can slow down the response of the servo. Both functions are adjustable by screwdriver. See www.action-electronics.co.uk/mixers.php
Robin
« Last Edit: 15 August 2009, 12:04:13 by karlgalster »

Andrée

« Reply #4 on: 15 August 2009, 12:27:31 »
Hi Robin!

Thanks a lot for your reply, I have never heard about this company before. The P96 seems to be exactly what I'm looking for, it's good to have the option to select the rudder-speed you want. Do you know if there are any other devices which can give the same effect with the propeller-speed. It would be fantastic if you can add the natural delay between order and actual change on the propeller. For example, the ship makes 0 knots when you give full speed ahead, the speed of the propeller is given proportional during (let's say) 5 seconds, until it reaches full speed. Have you any idea?

/Andrée

Offline karlgalster

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 15 August 2009, 16:59:12 »
Hi Andree, I am certain you can use the servo morf for motor speed control as well as the rudder. Nowever, beware of what you wish for. Although you would get a more realistic control of your model the use of this device has its disadvantages if you intend sailing in the company of other boats. I find that very often emergency reverse of the motor is necessary to avoid a collision with another boat whose skipper might be bit of a novice (e.g. a small child). Under these circumstances if you have a servo morf in the motor control then of course hard astern will have a delayed effect!!!
Robin

Andrée

« Reply #6 on: 15 August 2009, 17:14:02 »
Hi again!

You have a very good point here. If you're using delay in both rudder and propulsion, then it can result in a disaster if other ships aren't responding to the upcoming situation (just like in the real world). I have to think about this carefully before I'm deciding anything. But you have to admit that it would be more feeling to run the models in this mode, since it's more like the real things

/Andrée

Offline karlgalster

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 15 August 2009, 17:21:53 »
I know what you mean. Would be a nice thing to install as an experiment. I have seen one demonstated on a table but not actually on a model in water. If it the effect was too scary you could always adjust the delay to a minmal amount.
Robin