Author Topic: First post  (Read 3681 times)

Offline CJ

• Able Seaman
First post
« on: 23 February 2019, 12:18:42 »
Just a short intro from your newest member. I am not only new to this forum but also new to modeling, apart from static plastic kits that is. I have spent many hours trawling the internet looking at what kind of modeling might suit me best (with my looks fashion was quickly dismissed  :-[). Live steam loco's, planes, tanks, drones, trucks, cars, et al - all studied and dismissed until I came to RC boats.

I have read many sections of this forum and I have to say that when looking through the Customers Builds I realized just how much I have to learn, the knowledge and skills shown were amazing.

So bearing in mind how much I have to learn its hoped that members patience won't be too strained when my questions start flooding in, at least in the beginning.

I'm already thinking that my first model might be the Type 2 HSL, something that's not too demanding.

Offline pokherman

• Petty Officer
Re: First post
« Reply #1 on: 26 February 2019, 18:53:22 »
Well from a newbie to a new newbie... Ill be the first to welcome you!!

Im building my first Rc boat from Deans called the Hms Manxman.. good luck with your build what ever you choose, look forward to reading your thread
Ian

Calypso

« Reply #2 on: 28 February 2019, 17:24:42 »
An update! Trying to reduce my near vertical learning curve I decided to buy a used ready built model - the intension being to get on the water asap. It’s a model of Calypso (Billing kit I think) that was originally used as a display model in a modelling shop. The chap got it from the shop owner for his son about 18 years ago and added the RC gear sometime after. According to him, it has only been used 3 or 4 times on water.
I expected to have to update just about all the RC stuff but was surprised to find most of it was old but serviceable. It has a Msonick 3 reversing ESC, 2 x MFA/Como Drills motors and a Hitec servo. All I had to do was get a new 6v SLA battery and replace the old Chrystal type receiver for the one that came with my new Transmitter. Once connected up it all worked, unexpectedly I have to say.
Next thing is to join the local model club that has exclusive use of a massive lake in Eastbourne.

That’s the good bits, now the bad. I have learn't my first lesson. Boats with lots of superstructure and high antenna etc are not for the novice. I wondered why the chap I bought it from treated it like a newborn baby. I had to re-attach quite a few bits and open a hole in the deck for the battery that was a few mm higher than the original. Worse, one false move and those long bits of wire sticking 280mm above the deck are primed to take your eye out.

My ultimate aim is still to build a Deans kit and have decided it will be Crash Tender (176). This will provide enough challenges, taking into account my inexperience, but not wasting too much cash if I cock up.

Offline john melville

• Able Seaman
« Reply #3 on: 02 March 2019, 17:13:00 »
Hi, I am a newby,  I nearly bought that boat from a guy in godstone, but decided to buy
a deans kit of the media,would any one like to build it for me, as I am no good at building? or does any one have one fot sale?
john.