Author Topic: HMS Inflexible  (Read 322139 times)

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
Re: HMS Inflexible
« Reply #60 on: 06 June 2010, 17:40:45 »
which also gave me plenty of time to carry on working on the Forward Flying Deck.

obviously a lot of the things that i have been doing this weekend i can not show you all at present, as they are drying from being painted.

this weekend i have been painting a lot of the fittings for the Forward Flying Deck, so hopfully in a few weeks this part of the build will be finished, apart from the Mast.

Offline Mark

• Captain
« Reply #61 on: 08 June 2010, 14:47:04 »
I notice in the top of the funnels you have put some fine mesh, this is not something I have come across before, can you tell me what it's function is???  :-\

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #62 on: 08 June 2010, 16:36:58 »
i thought it looked nice, and to stop things (unwanted fingers) or leaves or general things that fly around in the air disappearing down the funnel, and me forgetting to clean the funnel out every now and again.

back in the days of Steam powered trains (locomotives) a mesh was placed in the top of the funnel so as hot ashes or sparks did not escape the system, it was known that crop or woodland fires near railway lines were caused by escaping embers.

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #63 on: 05 July 2010, 16:08:36 »
here is a small update, the Torpedo boats are finished and ready to be mounted on the Aft Flyingdeck.

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #64 on: 25 July 2010, 12:43:28 »
the forward searchlight platform is finished and will be packed away in silk cloth until the rest of the forward flying deck in finished.

the searchlights have had some hand wheels added that did not come with the kit.

and i have been building allsorts of fittings including painting them.

the second photo is of the 4.7" QF guns there is eight of them on this ship two above the forward anchors, four on the forward flying deck and two on above the aft anchors.

this is a kit in its own rights, i have also fitted hand wheels to the guns. these are also not part of the Kit.

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #65 on: 03 August 2010, 16:30:11 »
reading through some of the older entries in this forum i stumbled over this comment from Mark in his Dreadnought thread.

You are always only limited by your imagination and the time you put in.

and i thought this photo fits that comment right down to the ground... here is a couple of the fittings for the forward flying deck, yes all the parts have been hand painted with a paintbrush.

Offline karlgalster

• Captain
« Reply #66 on: 03 August 2010, 17:45:07 »
Very fine work Colin - the skylight portholes must have been quite fiddly!
Hope that's not your only ruler.  :(
Robin

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #67 on: 03 August 2010, 17:50:25 »
thanks for the vote of confidence..  ^^^

the skylight portholes are 2mm in size were the window part is, and yes they were quite fiddly, two sets of tweezers one in each hand to place them correctly into the drilled hole.

i do have a few other rulers of varying lengths but from the quality not much better  ;D  ;D  ;D   but i still manage to get the bits and pieces in the right place.

Offline hotjava

• Lt-Commander
  • I like to build things
« Reply #68 on: 05 August 2010, 06:32:13 »
Beautiful build Colin!  Thank you for sharing!

Oliver

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #69 on: 05 August 2010, 10:44:26 »
Glad your enjoying the read and photo's Oliver

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #70 on: 08 August 2010, 19:40:55 »
and here's some more photo's and a small update into my Build-

the first photo is of the Torpedo Net Platform, its obvious that the Nets have not been tied down yet, there still waiting to be folded and rolled, the build its self; theres a few metal fittings to be worked on and the railings have been made in the same way as the charthouse.

the second photo is of the Military Tops, that have had a few changes made, according to the information i have, the parts that i have added are not in the kit, but most have them lying around (Micro Strips from Slaters)
the Military tops that are described in the instruction would look like the one on the far left hand side with out the Brassrods, on the right the compleated items ready to be installed onto the masts.

to get the Brassrods in the right place and for the ring around the top, i made a paper aid so all the parts were evenly spread.

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #71 on: 07 September 2010, 19:46:25 »
time for a very Small update, mind you these things take there time to produce and theres not just one of them...
there two masts on this ship.

the rigging is not just glued to the mast, so here we have the rings that go round the masts and have the rigging threaded through the Small holes, this has been achieved by soldering cut of railings stanchions to Brass tubing that has been cut into rings

top left: there are 2x 4mm rings, one with 5 and one with 2 hoops for the rigging, these will be fitted to the top mast.

bottom left: is the mast base

bottom and right: are 3 x 10mm rings, two with 5 hoops and one with 6 hoops

on the far right of the photo, you can see what they look like when slotted over the 9mm mast, they are obviously not in there correct position yet.

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #72 on: 16 September 2010, 16:00:35 »
just to show you all that i paint with paint brushes and not a spray gun.

the walls are a yellow, i have already painted this color twice, the walkway and steps are a Brown that has only had one coat so far, you can still see the white of the plastic coming through the color, and eventually the railing will be painted white.
« Last Edit: 16 September 2010, 16:01:20 by colin »

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #73 on: 16 September 2010, 16:04:23 »
a small update on the front flying decks mast, that only parts now missing are the yard arms, which will be compleated this weekend.
the parts awaiting the sawblade just happen to be laying next to the mast.

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #74 on: 20 September 2010, 19:27:30 »
the First Yardarm is finished and ready to be applied to the Mast.  ^^^