Author Topic: S S MEDEA  (Read 9728 times)

Offline rondean

• First Sea Lord
  • Admiral
S S MEDEA
« on: 12 May 2011, 18:32:16 »
Dear Sir,
I would be delighted to have my model of the SS Medea included in the Deans Marine customers web site.
I selected Medea because of her Scottish heritage, and having admired the restored vessel when I first visited the San Diego Maritime Museum in Sept 2009 and I just had to make Medea my third model boat build having started this new hobby late 2009. It was however only when I came across an article about Medea in the anniversary edition of Model Boats magazine was I aware that Deans Marine offered a kit for Medea. Frankly it was a no brainer and I just had to undertake this build. I started construction early summer, however when my wife and I decided to return to California on holiday,I suspended the build process before going to far as I now had an opportunity to again visit Medea, but this time I would study the ship in greater detail taking plenty of pictures as I wanted to enhance the model, and to incorporate as much detail as possible. Since returning from the US and resumed work on Medea, I have continuously tried to improve the model at every stage, and now what you see is the fruits labours.
Incidentally the SD Maritime produce an excellent booklet titled "Medea and the Classic Steam Yachts" this and a book by Craig Arnhold the historian and librarian of the SD MM which is a complete history of the vessel and the families who built and owned the ship, have proved to be interesting and good reference material.

Incidentally as you can see from my mail of yesterday, the Maritime Museum who also received a picture of my model, are keen to sell the Deans kit in their museum store.

The main changes which I made and which I think have resulted in an excellent model are;

a) Replacing the vinyl decking with lime strip planking.
b) Forming the capping rail on the main and top deck with U shaped walnut strip.
c) Covering the deck cabins with mahogany veneer, and creating the "panel" pieces which are below the window line.
d) Brass portholes with glazing.
e) Replacing some of the key white metal and plastic fittings with finely made brass fittings (see top deck).
f ) Adding detail to the lifeboats such as ribbing and oars.
g) Creating the impression brass grills on the glass skylights by using brass rod.
h) Added strength given to the support structure for the lifeboats and the wing parts of the top deck by the use of 2mm square brass tube.

Would be happy to answer any questions on my model or indeed on the subject of Medea as she is today.
 Further couple of pics attached.
Regards
 Alan Collins