Author Topic: HMS Kelly  (Read 41528 times)

Offline karlgalster

• Captain
Re: HMS Kelly
« Reply #45 on: 25 May 2010, 09:08:39 »
Hi Oliver, good to hear from you - I had wondered if you had given up on the Kelly!  :-\
Looking forward to following your progress - I note on the Javelin thread you are asking about the templates not being a perfect fit - too true. As Tommydean says you have to make the parts to fit the hull. The kit sheets of plywood with the templates marked on them are really just a guidline -you need to assess the actual shape yourself. :)
Regards
Robin

Offline hotjava

• Lt-Commander
  • I like to build things
« Reply #46 on: 26 May 2010, 05:39:16 »
Hi Robin,

Great to hear from you!  Oh no!  I haven't given up.  It took a long time to get everything cleared away and set up at my new place, but now it is done.

Yeah, it makes sense because the templates just don't fit as-is and you have to sand and trial fit before proceeding.  I have them all cut out.  Just sanding now. 

I'm going to install the shafts first before the templates.  It seems easier that way.

Your "Z" is very beautiful!
Oliver

Hi Oliver, good to hear from you - I had wondered if you had given up on the Kelly!  :-\
Looking forward to following your progress - I note on the Javelin thread you are asking about the templates not being a perfect fit - too true. As Tommydean says you have to make the parts to fit the hull. The kit sheets of plywood with the templates marked on them are really just a guidline -you need to assess the actual shape yourself. :)
Regards
Robin

Offline hotjava

• Lt-Commander
  • I like to build things
« Reply #47 on: 26 May 2010, 05:46:58 »
Tom,

Thanks for the information.  I saw that thread after posting my question.  I think I'll take that approach for the superstructure.  Did you apply the same method to the port holes on the hull?

For the hull, I was just going to seal them with tyvek and them put a drop of liquid glass onto them.

Oliver

Oliver i  have been using theTMW 16" port holes on my HMS Javalin and they have been working out great. ^^^ i found a drill bit that was slightly bigger than the inside Dia of the port hole and used a punch that was close to the size of the drill bit. i punched out some port hole windows out of some scrap poly-carb sheet then used thin CA around the edges of the windows(practice required). there is a pic of my bridge on my HMS Javalin build thread. have a look.
   Tom 

Offline hotjava

• Lt-Commander
  • I like to build things
« Reply #48 on: 26 May 2010, 05:48:11 »
Hi Mark,

It is good to be back!  100% unpacked and all settled.  Let the building begin!

Oliver

Glad to see you back Oliver, is your new work area all sorted?

Mark

DickyD

« Reply #49 on: 11 August 2010, 14:14:54 »
Hi Guys, a word to the wise. When you come to the templates and cross members to support the deck it is advisable to work to the plastic deck size if possible. I have made several Deans kits, the last being HMS Javelin, which was very similar to HMS Kelly and I cut out the plastic decks first to give me the positions and sizes of the support woodwork.
Also when fitting motors etc this is easier done before the deck is fitted, but make sure that you are able to remove them if necessary after the deck has been fitted.
As usual with all Deans kits measure twice, cut once and assemble dry before gluing, you will probably need to alter several parts.
Great kits though, enjoy.

Offline hotjava

• Lt-Commander
  • I like to build things
« Reply #50 on: 12 August 2010, 15:53:36 »
Hi Dicky,

Oh, how I agree with the deck.

One of the "tricks" that I've found is to use the deck as a template for cross member placement keeping in mine that the deck isn't a perfect fit.  On my HMS Kelly, if I had followed the printed pattern, the deck's stern would have been too narrow.  In fact, it's even narrower than the kit's plans. 

And this is so true as I've heard and experienced this myself, "As usual with all Deans kits measure twice, cut once and assemble dry before gluing, you will probably need to alter several parts." 

Have a good day and welcome to the forum Dicky!
Oliver

Offline Tommydean

• Lt-Commander
« Reply #51 on: 15 August 2010, 07:15:36 »
Oliver   the port holes on the hull havent been installed yeat.. I am still thinking of a way to make them look good and keep the integrity of the hull.
  Tom