Author Topic: HMS Cossack motor/speed issues?  (Read 1169 times)

Offline PompeyMarine

• Able Seaman
HMS Cossack motor/speed issues?
« on: 11 June 2023, 10:46:11 »
I bought a built Deans HMS Cossack, with all gear installed with the exception of batteries.

Everything works when testing in my pool, but at first I noticed there was no forward propulsion. Added more ballast to help get the props deeper into the water, which help marginally, but not much.
As reverse seemed to be quite fast, I thought maybe the props should be swapped around and viola, I now have forward movement.......but without turning the rudder, it kept going to port. So I took the boat out and watched the props. As I increased speed the starboard prop turned correctly, but the port one hardly turned?

This is my first foray into the world of RC boats, so could I have advice on what I need to do please? It's running two identical motors from one ESC.

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
Re: HMS Cossack motor/speed issues?
« Reply #1 on: 12 June 2023, 07:38:07 »
You probably have a problem with one of the propshafts causing drag, which makes it harder for the motor to turn the propshaft..

Disconnect the motors from the propshafts and try turning them by hand, they should turn freely..

You might have to dismantle the propshafts, and give them a good clean out..
Then with the correct lubrication put everything back together, making sure that the proshafts turn freely..

It also sounds like, that your speed controler, might be set up wrong..
If you have more speed in one direction, for example the motors turn faster in forward or reverse..  you might have to re-set your speed controler..

On other thing, even though you say, the motors are identical, one of them might have problems with its bushes..  I suppose that the motors are not brushless.. 

Offline PompeyMarine

• Able Seaman
« Reply #2 on: 14 June 2023, 22:53:58 »
Thanks for the reply Colin. Wise words indeed. ^^^
Investigating further, when I ran the props at full pelt together, it looked like it had cleared the problem, as they were both turning at approximately the same speed. When I boat it in my pool, it actually moved forwards well, although seemed to go slightly to the left when the rudder is dead centre (I’ll come back to this in a bit).
The next problem was although it was going at speed, the left propeller kept coming off, so I have bought some thread lock and lock nuts to try and help.
Testing the boat tonight I noticed that my original issue was back with one prop turning slower than the other. I have bought some GT85, but not had a chance 9or the knowledge) to clean it out yet.
It was while testing tonight I noticed my next problem….. both props are turning the same way. I’ve read about having to change over wires on one motor, but can anyone help with what I’m meant to do please? Not sure if it’s brushless motors I have or not.

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: 15 June 2023, 06:09:47 »
so it seams that you will have to dismantle your Propshafts to give them a good clean..
GT85 should be Okay..
Brushless = 3 wires go from the speedcontroler to the motor..
Brushed = 2 wires go from the speedcontroler to the motor..

Yes...  Propellers that keep coming off, is because there not locked against a nut.. a spot of loctight helps, but normaly not essential..
you can see this in the attached photo..

You should have a left and right handed Propeller, if you have two of the same type of Propeller then you can not swop the wires over on the motor..

But yes, that would be the normal practice..

you might like to take a look at my HMS Toutou build..  you can see the locknuts against the propellers, and also a left and right handed propeller..
https://www.deansmarine.co.uk/index.php?topic=1101

Offline PompeyMarine

• Able Seaman
« Reply #4 on: 15 June 2023, 22:43:18 »
Thank you Colin.

I have started on your advice tonight but didn’t get far  ;D

Tried to undo the nuts holding the propshafts, but couldn’t find the right sized spanner…..now on order from Amazon  ::)

Tried to get the wires out of the Tamiya plug for one of the motors…… wires came out, connectors stayed in! Another order for Amazon made !!

Offline PompeyMarine

• Able Seaman
« Reply #5 on: 18 June 2023, 16:54:17 »
Well after a week of issues, today she had her maiden sailing and went beautifully....until one of the props fell off :D
But whilst she was running, she sailed like a dream.

Offline rondean

• First Sea Lord
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: 24 June 2023, 10:31:12 »

Offline PompeyMarine

• Able Seaman
« Reply #7 on: 25 June 2023, 07:34:59 »
I don’t know how many times I’ve watched that video Ron  ^^^

Just waiting for payday and then I can get some propellers to replace the lost one  ::)