Author Topic: HMS Zulu build  (Read 323050 times)

Offline minerva

• Captain
Re: HMS Zulu build
« Reply #300 on: 17 November 2014, 19:59:59 »
I thought that was the definition of a "Tiffy" - can work out the cubic capacity of a jam jar , but can't get the lid off"
Perhaps the box was made of sterner stuff !!!

pete(digger)

« Reply #301 on: 08 December 2014, 19:55:51 »
im trying to rebuild/repair hms nubion and have got 2 decks painted diffrent colours, 1 green the other grey, whats correct? can remmber hms achilles (group 8 far east deployment) and her decks were green!

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #302 on: 13 December 2014, 15:26:37 »
As mentioned on page 20 of this build Green is the most likely colour, so as one has been done that colour match the other and you will be OK. ^^^

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #303 on: 13 December 2014, 16:30:32 »
Hi Pete
In the eighties HMS Zulu had the bridge deck and part of the quarter deck up to the mortar station planked, a section of deck at the bows was red oxide, the remainder  was green, I can't say whether HMS Nubian was the same but as sister ships I would imagine she would have been. ^^^
« Last Edit: 13 December 2014, 18:32:10 by radio joe »

Offline Troy Tempest

• Building HMS Zulu since 1987
  • Lt-Commander
« Reply #304 on: 13 December 2014, 17:19:42 »
As you can see from the photos below, Zulu's focsle was green in 1977 (when I took these)
Interestingly on close examination the areas painted black beneath the anchor cables (normally lines a little wider than the cables themselves to mask wear on the deck) appear to have been painted as one large rectangle across a large part of the deck!

Offline minerva

• Captain
« Reply #305 on: 13 December 2014, 19:44:22 »
Usually the Scotsman ( The patterned doubler plate covering the deck below the cable working area)
 is painted a different colour to the surrounding deck. Perhaps in this case just just joined both areas of
black paint. Things changed over a few months depending on who was running the FX party I assume.

Offline walkingman

• Able Seaman
« Reply #306 on: 14 December 2014, 00:09:34 »
I was a member of Nubians crew from 1968 till she went for a refit in Rosyth in 1971. She had her metal decks painted green and the bridge decks and both the port and starboard waists were planked with the exception of the mortar well and flight deck which was non-slip black. The mortar well was green (painted it often enough). She also had a black band edged in white round the forward funnel during that period. The wasp was pennant No. 457.

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #307 on: 12 January 2015, 19:08:51 »
Hey Let Go Aft
I couldn't reply to your e-mail it seems your inbox is full , so here is the information you wanted,

I use Raboesch Exposed Propshaft with Support Bracket maintenance free and waterproof for Zulu I used a 4mm at 330mm long
shaft and a 154mm tube they are a bit pricy but I think worth it, just smear the shaft with grease on final assembly and that's it done, the shaft can be cut to suit as the inboard end is plain.

Joe

Offline let go aft

• Able Seaman
« Reply #308 on: 12 January 2015, 20:22:59 »
Many thanks Joe. am struggling a bit with this part of the build.

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #309 on: 12 January 2015, 21:06:37 »
Post a couple of photos of the bit your having problems with so we can try and help.  :) ^^^
Joe

pete(digger)

« Reply #310 on: 25 February 2015, 20:59:28 »
hi "let go aft" hows the build coming on? can i ask if when youve finished biulding her, might i have the paperwork (plns/buildsheet) please for my rebuild? many thanks, pete

Brian Dobinson

« Reply #311 on: 17 March 2015, 14:50:38 »
Sorry guys, some one may have asked this already, but, what grey paint have you used for the hull and superstructure? I have Halfords grey primer, but I think it is a bit dark, and not true UK warship battleship grey!

Any suggesions?

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #312 on: 17 March 2015, 17:12:05 »
Hi Brian
I used Humrol acrylic 129 gull grey on Zulu hand brushed, and I'm using Ford poplar grey spray paint on my present non Deans Type 42 build, no doubt rivet counters will tell you these are the wrong colours etc. But remember use what you are happy with, I prefer a slightly weathered look hence the lighter gull grey.  ::DD

Brian Dobinson

« Reply #313 on: 17 March 2015, 17:56:26 »
Thank you very much for that, I presume the ford grey paint is available in Halfords?

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #314 on: 17 March 2015, 18:17:32 »
Yes Brian the Ford Poplar grey is available at Halfords and best used over grey primer. ^^^