Author Topic: Hand painting  (Read 5407 times)

Offline Jeremy

• Lieutenant
Hand painting
« on: 29 April 2012, 18:05:03 »
Colin,

I noticed in your last few posts you mentioned that you hand painted your incredible model :) I always have a battle with myself wether to rattle can, airbrush or hand paint. Having seen the results that you have acheived I'm stunned. My  questions are what size brushes do you use?,  do you thin your paint, do you wet and dry after painting?  :-\ probably have another 20 or so questions but these will do to start with  In fact I think you should do a masterclass on the finer arts of hand painting ^^^

Jeremy

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
Re: Hand painting
« Reply #1 on: 30 April 2012, 12:56:54 »
Hi Jeremy,

the SS Furie, Lis Terkol, and HMS Inflexible were all Brush painted, i don't suppose i have any tricks up my sleeve to explain the out come as a good result, probably just put it under time an pations with a very steady hand in parts..
and like all good painters and decorators, the brush strokes all go in one direction..

the size of my brushes go from 0.3 all the way up to 5, most of them are made out of Badger hair, plus most of them are round in shape, i have a few Flat ones for doing large areas, for example the Hull.

thinning the paint depends on what Job is at hand, the Hull i did not thin the paint, were as the railings i thinned while brushing, in other words, dip the Brush in the thinners, then in the paint, then brush the railings, depending on the result, is whether the brush goes into the paint or thinners first for the next brush strokes.

no sanding between coats of paint, unless there has been dust settling during painting.

all of my Brushpainting comes out of the 14ml Humbrol or Revell enamel paint tins.

once i get a few minuets I'll take some photo's of my brushes..