Hints and Tips > Do's and Don'ts

Railings

<< < (2/2)

karlgalster:
Word of warning - at the bow make sure you drill a maximum hole depth of 2mm otherwise there is a danger of drilling out of the ship's side due to the flare of the hull :'(
Another thought - the bow handrails terminate at the most forward point of the bow's point with the "bull ring" which is used for passing mooring hawsers through. On an actual ship the bull ring appears to at the very end of the bow. The Kelly kit has a white metal bull ring but I could not work out how to locate this where it should be due to minimal deck area to bond it so. I could have drilled and bonded a bit of brass rod into the underside of the bull ring to give the bond to the deck extra strength but the shape of bow at that point would have made drilling into it very difficult to accomplish without damaging the bow. I compromised by setting the bull ring back from the point of the bow by about 3mm but it does not look right. Perhaps you can devise a better solution Oliver.
Robin

hotjava:
Hi Robin,

Thanks for the information regarding rail drilling and the bull ring.  I'll watch out for that and see if I have a solution to the bull ring problem.  If not, I'll just copy what you did.   :)

Take care and thanks for the information,
Oliver

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version