Author Topic: My Build Of HMS Veralum  (Read 13926 times)

Offline Pegasus

• Captain
My Build Of HMS Veralum
« on: 12 April 2021, 17:03:03 »
I ordered the kit on Thursday and it arrived Saturday morning thanks Ron excellent service as always. Unlike most of the other kits the Veralum does not seem to get the same attention in the forum as some of the other kits. So I will do my best to Illustrate the build and welcome observations and advice.

Offline HFloyd1987

• Petty Officer
Re: My Build Of HMS Veralum
« Reply #1 on: 12 April 2021, 18:46:08 »
Sounds good!  I’ll watch eagerly on the railing section!  :grin1:
« Last Edit: 12 April 2021, 19:04:29 by HFloyd1987 »

Offline Pegasus

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 12 April 2021, 19:37:14 »
The ones supplied with tis kit are the same as the ones on the Solebay. These stanchions are etched in 12th spring brass for ease of fitting in deck. They are also available in Deans Chandlers in the photo etch section.

Offline Pegasus

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 12 April 2021, 19:53:23 »
My interest in the V class destroyer started in the 1970s while serving my apprenticeship. We were in the canteen most of the men I worked with were ex servicemen. They were talking bout their experiences Jack was in the far east on HMS Cumberland, Malcolm was a pilot with the Fleet Air Arm in the Pacific but it was Sam's Story of the 26th Destroyer Flotilla Saumarez, Venus, Veralum, Vigilant, and Virago. Sam served on HMS Venus and told the story of the sinking of the Japanese cruiser Haguro on 16 May 1945 by the flotilla in the last great classic Destroyer action.

Offline Pegasus

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 14 April 2021, 10:59:04 »
Everybody has there own way of building. I removed all the parts from the trays and place them in boxes either by build type guns etc or by material type metal or resin this makes it easier to work with it also helps protect the from two Grandchildren who insist on helping me.

Offline Pegasus

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 14 April 2021, 11:12:11 »
The first job I like to do is all the snagging (clean the resin and metal parts of any flash) I also take the opportunity to pin the parts this helps later in the build with Painting and gluing firmly on the deck etc. I find this saves a lot of time later when it comes to the final build.

Offline HFloyd1987

• Petty Officer
« Reply #6 on: 16 April 2021, 20:24:13 »
How do you clean up the rudder? Do you sand it down smooth?

Offline Pegasus

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 17 April 2021, 14:19:13 »
I did not use the rudder supplied being a member of a boat club I have picked up a number of items like rudders, motors, couplings etc so I used one of the copper rudders which are lighter on the previous kit and this one. The original one was rubbed down until smoother the painted and fitted to a tug one of the members was building.

« Last Edit: 26 October 2021, 16:44:42 by Pegasus »

Offline Pegasus

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 11 October 2021, 17:12:37 »
I put the build of the HMS Veralum on the back burner during the Summer. as the Covid restrictions eased the Model Boat Club started to become more active and I have been spending time sailing rather than building and we had major work in the garden which took up a lot of time. Now that winter is on the way the garden needs little done in it . We are still sailing on a Wednesday and a Sunday but now I will back into building
I intend to do this build differently from the last by building and painting the super structure and the small parts (guns. boats, Etc) by leaving the hull and fitting (motors, battery servos etc) I can calculate the ballast required and the Bilge Keels required.
I will probably take well into the new year to complete but will comment and photograph each stage of the build.

Offline Pegasus

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 15 October 2021, 20:31:48 »
The Galley

Offline Pegasus

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 15 October 2021, 20:32:42 »
Gearing Room 1 without AA guns and fittings
« Last Edit: 15 October 2021, 20:59:27 by Pegasus »

Offline Pegasus