Author Topic: Weapons  (Read 20031 times)

Offline karlgalster

• Captain
Re: Weapons
« Reply #30 on: 02 March 2009, 18:59:55 »
Kurt, you are a mine of information! Thank you once again. I think I will use the Baltic Scheme Hellgrau (RAL 7038) which from my English-German dictionary is light grey as it is the lightest grey feasible (unless the model is an e-boat). Baltic colours probably not really that appropriate for Z37 as I  think it spent most of its career on the Atlantic coast of France. I will have to use a little modeller's licence! I think Humbrol 27 matt camouflage grey may be a closer match than 147.
many thanks
Robin

Offline Belgium Crazy Team

• Lt-Commander
« Reply #31 on: 02 March 2009, 19:33:28 »
As she did spend most of her time in the atlantic, you can also use 32.1 Nebelgrau.  This is a color very close to the light grey.

This is a tip I received from an WWII sailor:
Did you know how that they "prepared" the colors?  Every vessel had his supply of white paint.
To obtain the color that they wanted, they added color pigments.  So every time they mixed the colors it was approximatly the same color.
This was normal with the allies, so I think I can say the Germans used a similar system.

When I paint a hull, I always try to paint with several brands of paint, the color is almost the same, but when you look at the model, you can see that here are differences.
Kurt

Offline karlgalster

• Captain
« Reply #32 on: 04 March 2009, 18:18:12 »
Kurt you are quite right 32.1 Nebelgrau looks very close to Humbrol 147 so 147 it will be. Interesting about the mixing of paints to achieve the desired grey on RN ships in WWII. I know the Admiralty had specification numbers for the variuos greys but I suppose it makes sense to mix on board to something like a colour chart rather than carrying tons of drums of various grey paint.
Robin

Offline Belgium Crazy Team

• Lt-Commander
« Reply #33 on: 05 March 2009, 06:54:15 »
I think when the ships is completely repainted in a dry dock that then the correct paint is used. 
On shore they have time to prepare in advance...

Kurt