Author Topic: H.M.S.Bronington  (Read 35126 times)

martinfbrown

Re: H.M.S.Bronington
« Reply #45 on: 13 July 2015, 09:29:00 »
Hi,
       Anyone else who has built the Bronington had any trouble with the Rudder Tiller arms? One of mine has fitted okay, but the other one has split when tightening the screw. Been onto Deansmarine, but there were not much help at all, so I am going to have to get some arms locally.
Martin

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #46 on: 13 July 2015, 10:06:41 »
sorry to say i have not done the Bronington yet..!
and i can not imagine that Deansmarine could not help you..?
either with a replacement or a different better tiller arm as they have them in the Chandlers section of the online shop.. for example..
http://deansmarine.co.uk/shop/product_info.php/cPath/5_24/products_id/424

just out a matter of interest, what is the dimension of the Rudder stay... 2 or 3 mm..?

martinfbrown

« Reply #47 on: 13 July 2015, 10:16:13 »
Hi,
       I have measured the rudder shaft with a digital vernier and also my metric micrometer and the dia is 1.58mm.So 2mm arm should be okay. Deans marine said that they would send a replacement part to me as long as I was prepared to pay any postage cost. I am not cribbing about the postage cost, but thought they would just send a replacement anyway. I am going to try and repair the arm, so I can get a secure fitting to the shaft. The arms supplied are a sloppy fit anyway. Actually, less than 2mm would be better, as it is easier to drill the hole to the correct size. Thanks
Martin

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #48 on: 13 July 2015, 10:28:45 »
i don't think you will be able to find a tiller arm smaller than 2mm

martinfbrown

« Reply #49 on: 13 July 2015, 10:34:52 »
Hi,
      Yes, I have been looking online. Smallest seems to be 2mm. I have actually found some arms I had from years ago, which have a larger hole, if I cannot repair the original arm, I will just fill the hole in the old arms I have, and drill them out. I have not really got onto the rest of the model, I was trying to get the radio gear sorted out first. Thanks
Martin

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #50 on: 13 July 2015, 11:50:21 »
Hi Martin, I guess your talking about the white metal tiller arms in the kits, personally I never use them, preferring to make my own, so I have a few white metal ones in the come in handies box, if you want a couple PM your address and I'll send them to you. ^^^

martinfbrown

« Reply #51 on: 05 August 2015, 13:07:26 »
Fitted the tiller arms that radio joe gave me, by drilling and tapping the centre boss of the white metal arm 2mm and secured to the shaft with a 2mm bolt. Much better than the way Deansmarine have them fitted(with a self tapper). Doing it this way, i was a bit worried as the arms are a little higher on the rudder shafts and there may be bother with the deck, think it should be okay though.I was quite disgusted at the response I received from deansmarine, saying that this model is beyond my building experience, consequently, I will not deal with them again.
Martin

martinfbrown

HMS Bronington
« Reply #52 on: 01 September 2016, 09:22:52 »
Hi,
       Building HMS Bronington at present, has anyone built her? Just wondering if there was any tips/problems thanks
Martin

you have already asked a similar question so I have merged your Old topic with the New one

martinfbrown

« Reply #53 on: 02 September 2016, 08:01:48 »
Thank you.