Author Topic: H.M.S.Bronington  (Read 35129 times)

martinfbrown

Re: H.M.S.Bronington
« Reply #15 on: 28 March 2015, 19:47:48 »
When you say the esc has a BEC and does not need a separate rx battery, it runs from the 7.2volt battery pack? I cannot find a suitably small 7.2 volt pack.
Martin

martinfbrown

« Reply #16 on: 28 March 2015, 21:37:04 »
If I went with the graupner motors, could I then use a 4.8volt battery pack? and still use the Mtronics esc.
Martin

martinfbrown

« Reply #17 on: 28 March 2015, 21:45:59 »
I have a battery pack that takes 4 AA type cells, could I use this battery pack with the MFA motors and Mtronics esc? thanks
Martin

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: 28 March 2015, 22:15:04 »
Yes you could use either of those options, but you will be surprised just how much ballast even a small boat will need,
You may find you can use a standard 7.2 battery pack in lieu of ballast, my HMS Bramble is only just over 800mm and has two
7.2 packs.  ::DD

martinfbrown

« Reply #19 on: 28 March 2015, 22:46:33 »
Thanks again.I will go with that option then(my battery pack, the mfa motors and the mtronics esc. I will order them tomorrow
Martin

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: 29 March 2015, 08:13:03 »
might be worth a look in the Chandlers section of the Deansmarine Shop..!!
this Motor might do the trick..!
http://deansmarine.co.uk/shop/product_info.php/cPath/5_13/products_id/2905
this ESC should be OK too..!
http://deansmarine.co.uk/shop/product_info.php/cPath/5_29/products_id/451
Deans do a Saturn X6 (6 channel, 2,4ghz)
http://deansmarine.co.uk/shop/product_info.php/cPath/5_29/products_id/2795

martinfbrown

« Reply #21 on: 29 March 2015, 08:33:45 »
Thanks for those links, had a look at them and it works out more expensive using that gear, but thanks anyway.
Martin

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: 29 March 2015, 10:17:11 »
You can get a good idea of how much ballast the boat will need,   before you drill any holes in the hull, mark the water line on the hull using the plan for measurements, you only need a mark at the bow and transom, float the hull in the bath and add weight, pieces of lead, nuts and bolts etc. till the hull is on the water line and level, now weigh the contents of the hull, now weigh each item of the running gear and estimate roughly how much the superstructure will weigh on Bronnington it will be quite light, the sum that is left is the amount of ballast, I prefer to use useful ballast ie. batteries instead of lead, as said my Bramble has two 7.2 volt battery packs plus lead ballast and will run for nearly two hours. :)

martinfbrown

« Reply #23 on: 29 March 2015, 11:20:11 »
Thanks, I have a decision to build the model as a static model now, but thanks to all who posted and gave me help.
 Once I start the kit, I will post my progress, I still have a little bit work left on Endeavour that I am building.
Martin

martinfbrown

« Reply #24 on: 29 March 2015, 14:37:00 »
By the time I actually start building Bronington, I will probably go with the r/c version. I have some work to finish on my Endeavour model, and hopefully start Bronington after that.
Martin

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: 30 March 2015, 07:44:59 »
Thanks for those links, had a look at them and it works out more expensive using that gear, but thanks anyway.
Martin
there are so many variation that you could use, some a little more and some a little less expensive, its all down to your own choice and preferences, you could even use very small brushless motors and Lipo batteries, the choice is endless now a days when it come to Micro Gear... Happy Building

martinfbrown

« Reply #26 on: 30 March 2015, 08:03:41 »
Thanks again, I will probably go for the R/c version when I start the build. I have still got a couple of static models to complete. I took early retirement in December, so in theory, I should have plenty of time for building work,but this does not always work.
Martin

martinfbrown

« Reply #27 on: 03 April 2015, 20:00:09 »
Now decided to go with the r/c version now. Is the Tamco radio okay, as I have always used Futaba in the past?
Martin

martinfbrown

« Reply #28 on: 05 April 2015, 19:54:34 »
Just ordered the R/C bits and pieces for Bronington. Tamco radio combo, two mfa 140/1 motors, and mtronics viper marine 10a esc from Cornwall Model Boats, and one SG90 servo from ebay. Total of £64:60.
Martin

martinfbrown

« Reply #29 on: 10 April 2015, 21:13:01 »
I have all the gear now for r/c system on Bronington apart from a 7.2volt battery pack which I am going to get locally tomorrow. I have been away from r/c boats for too long,as they are so much different now. One or two questions to ask. Receiver plug on the esc(mtronics viper 10a) and the receiver plug on the servo(Tower Pro SG90) are not keyed, and they can be plugged into the rx either way round. What is the correct way to plug them into the rx? I know the servo is plugged into channel 1 and the esc is plugged into channel 2. I actually thought that the plugs would be keyed so they could not be reversed. Or does it not matter which way they are plugged in. thanks
Martin