Author Topic: H.M.S.Bronington  (Read 35123 times)

martinfbrown

H.M.S.Bronington
« on: 23 March 2015, 17:59:26 »
  :-[Hi,
      Just joined the forum. I have also just ordered HMS Bronington kit, are there any building tips for this model? I am an experienced model boat builder(over 30 years). My last build was the Bark Endeavour(part work kit) of which I still have  some work to do on her. I was going to just build Bronington as a static model, but how easy is she for R/C control. Last r/c model I built was HMS Glamorgan, in 1979, most of my builds have been static since then.
Martin

martinfbrown

Re: H.M.S.Bronington
« Reply #1 on: 23 March 2015, 19:04:51 »
Can anyone suggest a suitable r/c system for HMS Bronington, thanks
Martin

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: 23 March 2015, 20:37:11 »
Welcome to the forum Martin, all my ships are RC, though they don't sail that often but for me making them work is all part of the build, the good thing about boats unlike aircraft, is they don't need expensive multi channel RC systems, a simple two channel 2.4 gig is ideal, I use a 2.4gig Saturn Six because I have working turrets/radar etc.
 ^^^                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

martinfbrown

« Reply #3 on: 23 March 2015, 20:53:33 »
I was going to build the kit as a static kit, but I may as well build it as an R/c version. I don't know if the instructions contain any radio details, but I should receive the kit hopefully later this week.
Martin

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: 23 March 2015, 22:33:19 »
You will find all you need to know about running gear in the guide sheets in the kit, nearly all Deans kits are designed for RC. :)

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: 24 March 2015, 08:54:09 »
Welcome Martin, the Bronington is a nice Little Minesweeper, under the product line of the Compact class kits, to this extent, you can use all sorts of methods to RC you model, strip a servo and you have a motor and a ESC in one..

you might find this post an interesting read..
http://www.deansmarine.co.uk/index.php?topic=653.msg4809#msg4809
or this one.. (Strip a servo)
http://www.deansmarine.co.uk/index.php?topic=659.msg4855#msg4855

as you are a model builder, then the only tip I could suggest, would be to take your time, and think each part through, and if there are any questions we are here to help, and of course there are very helpful people in the Deans Workshops..

martinfbrown

« Reply #6 on: 24 March 2015, 09:49:07 »
Thanks very much. I was in the Royal Navy Reserve in the late 70's early 80's and we had Ton Class Minesweepers. I have sailed in a few and actually went on board HMS Bronington, but Prince Charles was not in command at the time. I am looking forward to building Bronington.
Martin

martinfbrown

« Reply #7 on: 27 March 2015, 15:10:22 »
I have two small motors which came from the gearbox on a model tank. I think that these would be ideal for powering HMS Bronington. Now for the r/c, I don't have an old servo that i can strip down, so can anyone suggest a two channel r/c system that would be small enough for Bronington, rx,tx plus servos/speed control? thanks
Martin

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: 27 March 2015, 19:30:03 »
Check out www.cornwallmodelboats.com they stock everything you will need, including a Tamco 2.4ghz radio and receiver at £35 and I'd recommend using mini servo's in a compact hull, they also stock small ESC's,, batteries etc. They give very good mail order service.
 :) ^^^

martinfbrown

« Reply #9 on: 27 March 2015, 19:34:10 »
hi,
      Thanks very much, i will have a look.
Martin

martinfbrown

« Reply #10 on: 28 March 2015, 18:01:28 »
I have been looking at the Tamco radio gear, yes, it is okay. Been looking also for servos, I have found some small ones, SG90 Tower Pro on eBay for £4:20 for the two. Going to have to buy two new motors also, as the two I had, one of the connections has come off, and no way to repair it. I have been looking at Graupner Speed Motors 260size, I think these should be okay. Will the SG90 servos work okay with the Tamco RX? Only ESC and battery pack to sort out after that.
martin

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: 28 March 2015, 18:25:23 »
Yes Martin the SG90s are fine I bought two this week from eBay and have bought them before and they will work with the
Tamco,  ^^^

martinfbrown

« Reply #12 on: 28 March 2015, 18:34:55 »
Thanks Joe, Will the Graupner 260 motors be okay? Also, can you suggest a suitable ESC and batteries please. Apologies, if I seem a beginner at this, but it is over 30 years since I built an r/c model boat, as I have been building static models.
Martin

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: 28 March 2015, 18:49:58 »
The 260 Graupner motor is only 3 volt so will restrict what battery you use, I'd go for the MFA 140/1 6 to 9 volt range so you can
 use a 7.2 volt nimh battery , An Mtronic marine ESC 10 amp would do fine and very reliable and has a BEC so you don't need a
 separate Rx battery. :)

martinfbrown

« Reply #14 on: 28 March 2015, 18:53:07 »
Thanks very much again.I will google those.
Martin