Author Topic: SWA Exhibition  (Read 17778 times)

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
SWA Exhibition
« on: 27 August 2013, 11:24:48 »
I took part in my first Surface Warships Association Exhibition last week end and really enjoyed it They were a friendly bunch who made me feel at home from the start, The photo shows Bramble and Solebay in some very grand company, and I have to say Deans were well represented some from Deans kits and some built on Deans hulls, I was inspired for my next build as they were clearly a talented group of marine modellers who complimented me on my work and I picked up a lot of tips from them which I know will be helpful in the future.
I mentioned my next build would be HMS Cossack in another tread but having seen the excellent ships on display I noted that there were a lot of destroyers so I may rethink and maybe build a frigate HMS Zulu would be a possible, I'll give it some thought. Joe
« Last Edit: 27 August 2013, 20:36:11 by radio joe »

Offline andy

• Warrant Officer
Re: SWA Exhibition
« Reply #1 on: 27 August 2013, 13:30:00 »
The first event is always the best.  They all look like they belong together. ^^^ :)

Offline cabin boy

• Warrant Officer
  • Retired 67 years
« Reply #2 on: 27 August 2013, 16:12:33 »
Well done Joe, an invited exhibitor some achievement, a real feather in your cap, and well deserved.  Regards Clive

Offline mikearace

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 27 August 2013, 20:32:26 »
Grand achievement Joe.  Liked the pic.  Unless I am mistaken that looks like a Type 15 in the case behind your Battle?  Enclosed Bridge conversion so either Troubridge or Ulster most likely or even possibly Zest?  My first few weeks at sea were on Undaunted and also did a few weeks training on Grenville.  Boy could they shift. 

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: 27 August 2013, 20:44:59 »
Well spotted Mike, it is Zest, Z class destroyer converted to a type 15 frigate.  Joe

Offline mikearace

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 27 August 2013, 21:19:13 »
Wish somebody would do a hull of a Type 15!!

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: 27 August 2013, 22:52:53 »
Well done my man, well done, hand shanks all round.   I am glad you enjoyed the event and learnt new tips, which we all hope we will see in your next builds.   I bet the cases behind Solebay coast a packet.  Paul ^^^ ^^^ ^^^

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: 27 August 2013, 23:04:38 »
Thanks Paul,   there were some awesome static models there and it was impressive how they did the "sea" I post some more photos tomorrow, one job I think I have to do is make some better display cradles the original ones are really meant for transporting to the pond and look a bit bulky for exhibiting.   Joe

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: 27 August 2013, 23:20:46 »
That's why I always make a full table mounting which when I take it out its never out of place.   But I like the full glass case to keep the model in the house away from dust when not being used.

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: 28 August 2013, 17:14:37 »
Here are a couple more photo's of the exhibition. Joe

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: 28 August 2013, 17:29:06 »
Now I don't use the word masterpiece very often but the Corvette diorama in the photos are for me just that, the port side shows a motley crew tarting up the old ship and on the stbrd side the cut away sections show the entire interior of the ship including bulkheads internal plating, crews mess, boilers, engine room, tiller flat, and so on, I believe the Doner kit for the hull was a revell but the rest is entirely scratch build over 3 years by Barry Sharman using photos and documents. I would not know where to begin
difficult to get good photos due to the glass case.

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: 28 August 2013, 17:31:08 »
Yes Dave, totally agree, the exhibition cradles are my next project. Joe   

Offline karlgalster

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: 28 August 2013, 18:24:54 »
Well done Joe. SWA membership looks like a natural progression for us warship builders. Its nice to be among fellow enthusiasts for the reasons you mentioned earlier. Somehow a sleek 1/96 destroyer looks a bit odd sandwiched between a fishing boat and a tug at 1/32 on a table :-[
Robin

Offline andy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #13 on: 28 August 2013, 18:54:23 »
I mentioned my next build would be HMS Cossack in another tread but having seen the excellent ships on display I noted that there were a lot of destroyers so I may rethink and maybe build a frigate HMS Zulu would be a possible, I'll give it some thought. Joe

I built Zulu sister ship HMS Nubian from an Dean's Marine kit over 20 years ago.  It been a great one to run and is now in the proccess of being strip down for a refit.

« Last Edit: 31 August 2013, 18:33:21 by colin »

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: 28 August 2013, 19:20:42 »
Yes she would have carried a Westland Wasp at 1:96 I guess it would be about 4inches long, Tried flying helys a few years ago never got the hang of the blithers if I tried landing one on Zulu I'd turn it into a flat top.  Joe