Author Topic: Some questions of a new member  (Read 5612 times)

Helmut

Some questions of a new member
« on: 09 December 2007, 14:20:19 »
Hi,
this is Helmut, 59 years old, living in the southwest of Germany.

Well, I've never built an R/C-ship in my live, but now I think about it and I am looking around for a good one. So I found DeansMarine and I find it interesting. But I did not find a dealer of Deans in Germany. As a newcomer I have lots of questions, maybe the answer will be useful for others as well. So, here are the first ones:

1st - "Superstructure and decks in 1mm plastic, ..." - What kind of "plastic" is it? Is it Polytyrol or Resin or what else?
2nd - What kind of glue is recommended to fit that "plastic"? Is it the same as for use with the hull? What kind of glue ist useful to fit superstructure and decks to the hull?
3rd - It would be very helpful to have information in the internet about what motors, couplings, and so on are recommended or even strictly needed for one ship, so that one can order those parts together with the kit itself (to find the information with the kit is too late, because then a second order must be done).

Regards
Helmut

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
Re: Some questions of a new member
« Reply #1 on: 09 December 2007, 18:16:05 »
Hello Helmut,

i also live in Germany, in the Ruhr area.
being a very good friend of Mr. Dean, i offerd my help on rebuilding his Website which i think has turned out reasonably good, and we are working on a Online Shop that should open up next year with a bit of luck.
so any comments are welcome, such as your 3rd comment i will try and implement that as soon as possible
to your comments:
1. the plastic is Polystyrol most of the fittings are white metal and Resin.
2. the normal type of glue for Plastic, i use mainly "UHU plast spezial" bonds very good when Plastic to Plastic, "UHU plus acrylit" i use for Wood to Hull and Decks to Wood also for the Motor mounts and Propshaft, basicly anything thats in the Hull, and for anything else i use "UHU sekundenkleber blitzschnell"
3. the information will be worked on for the future, thankyou.

hope this has helped a little