Author Topic: Builds and Questions !  (Read 18747 times)

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
Builds and Questions !
« on: 10 March 2009, 09:58:50 »
If some one is doing a Build, and putting his findings in this Forum, with Photo's for all to see, and probably gain a little help.

i think it would be better to open a new Topic and ask a Question, instead of asking the Question in the Build Thread.

i was thinking about splitting the topics Z37 and Fairmile D, because there is a lot of chit chat in there instead of just the Building / Customers Model Thread.

instead i have given Permition to Members so they can clean up there own Build Threads, so you can now;
1. Modify replies to own topics 
2. Delete replies to own topics

that way the Build Threads should stay clean of general Chit Chat !!

Offline karlgalster

• Captain
Re: Builds and Questions !
« Reply #1 on: 10 March 2009, 18:53:07 »
Hello Colin,
I think you will have to clarify what you mean. Do you mean that for a topic covering a build that only the originator is permitted to add posts to it? If so then are you saying that if someone else posts a comment or question, that is not allowed and the originator of the topic should delete the other member's post? Not sure I would be happy doing that.

I agree there is a fair bit of "chit chat" am I am as guilty as anybody but the proposed strategy may be a counter productive. I recall that a few months ago the postings were few and far between. For instance I put my HMS Kelly topic in Customers Models and for 10 months it was viewed quite a lot but a discouraging lack of any other peoples' comments etc. Only just recently has the forum began to take off - lets not discourage its development.

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: 10 March 2009, 19:53:02 »
i understand what you mean, of course i would not want to discourage the development of the Forum.

A build anyone can add posts in it, but the originator can delete any posts to keep his own Build clean of Chit Chat.
on the other hand the Administrators can keep, splitting the topics when they find Chit Chat
I am not saying its not allowed, the Chit Chat between the Build is a little disturbing, but thats my oppinion!
i was merely suggesting that Chit Chat be conducted in the General Discussion part!
and giving the chance for the Originator of the Topic to do this.

its just a suggestion and can be revoked.

The Unknown Sailor

« Reply #3 on: 10 March 2009, 21:09:19 »
Hi Colin

As one who is guilty as hell of a lot of chit chat, I tend to agree with Karlgalster, as it tends to breed a sense of camaraderie, which is helpful in building trust in relationships, and therefore encourages people to share ideas, even not such good ideas, as these can lead people to think and come up with better solutions. I think far too often, as we do not know each other, we are intimidated by that unknown person on the other end of the computer screen, and so hold our peace. We are all modelers here, of one description or another, of varying capabilities; what is more, I have found that most modelers are quite keen to share their ideas and enthusiasms with those who may not be as capable as some, in order to encourage the up and comers.

Maybe as the forum develops, you can open chatrooms in the general comments section for the more esoteric conversations, where new found friends can come together,but first the forum needs to birth and breed that friendship;  but I don't think the forum will get that far, if we or you place restrictions on what is and where things are said...no, I'm not accusing you of censorship, just cautioning against a misplaced over rigid stance. Do not miss-understand me, I do see your point as to diverting the topic away from what the focus of a build thread is about; I just feel that a friendly atmosphere will encourage greater participation, and a general increase in traffic and so onto a greater participation in the hobby.

Still, if there are others who would prefer a more structured interchange, then by all means make accommodation for their needs also.

See what you get when you give someone a promotion  :D

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: 11 March 2009, 11:10:41 »
OK, i get the drift..... theres no need for a Mutiny were not on the Bounty... but the Rum would go down nice.

I'll leave it as it is for now.

i doubt that we will ever have a Chat room, i think the forum is bringing a few Modelers together and so far from what i have read and seen, its helping some of us, and will probably help others in the future, not forgetting the main point of this forum "To Help Modelers Build a Deans Kit"

The Unknown Sailor

« Reply #5 on: 11 March 2009, 15:45:20 »
OK Colin

Here's a metaphorical bottle just for you.

Sorry that they're empty, but rest assured, they were good going down the hatch.... ;D

The Unknown Sailor

« Reply #6 on: 11 March 2009, 15:49:56 »
Ah ha...I see what's wrong, they're missing that real life experience...let me try again....

Yep...that's about the condition we were in after our night of indulgence... ???

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: 11 March 2009, 17:09:13 »
shiver-me-timber, jim-lad.....

or even rick for that matter.

daveo

« Reply #8 on: 23 October 2011, 13:55:20 »
Afternoon All,

This might sound a soft question :-[

Mark a line 2mm from the top inside edge of the Kelly hull. Use a soft pencil or felt tip.

Is the old fashion way the best way to measure this 2mm line, I.E  with the ruler, or has anyone found another way to complete this task

Dave ^^^

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: 23 October 2011, 18:27:16 »
Hi Dave,

i suppose your marking the line for the Deck beams...?

if yes, i don't really mark a line, i just put a few marks (dots) at the required height (depth), as the beams are long enough to join the marks, then when gluing the beams in place, make sure that the beams stay below the required marks.

some times i make a template up out of scrap plastic, depending on the height (depth) other than that i use a piece of broken ruler that's about 7 cm long... that way there is not a lot above the hull to hold or to balance..

regards
« Last Edit: 23 October 2011, 18:30:18 by colin »

daveo

« Reply #10 on: 23 October 2011, 19:00:35 »
Colin,

I have been racking my brains out all afternoon, then about an hour ago the wife said why dont you mark a bit of waste plastic and use that as your marker instead of using the rule as that looks very akward. I just showed her your post and she said tell Colin that great minds think alike, now she won't stop smirking ::)

Thank you for your pointers on my silly post. Why don't I just ask the wife when I get in a fix she knows it all  ;D then she would want to take over the project. She got no chance
 ^^^
Regards
Dave 

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: 24 October 2011, 07:39:48 »
Dave, i know the feeling...  ;D  ;D  ;D  never mind, problem solved and the build continues..  ^^^

I'll post a couple of pic's of the templates i used on HMS Inflexible, once i get home to night
one thing about the Inflexible, the top of the Hull is the same height all the way round the Hull.

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: 24 October 2011, 15:15:50 »
fresh out of the camera, my templates from the Inflexible, the Torpedonet Booms are lower than the Waterline.

i think the photo speaks for its self..  ^^^

daveo

« Reply #13 on: 24 October 2011, 19:47:10 »
Colin,
Exellent, that will take out a lot of the hard work with holding the ruleon such a small measurement to  mark.

Dave

Offline RHSDRAKE8

• Able Seaman
« Reply #14 on: 08 January 2012, 01:08:43 »
Hi All,
New ship builder here. Dave from Taranaki New Zealand.
I have purchased HMS Daring but intend to number her as Defender (Dad's old ship WWII)
I have washed the hull and trimmed the hull down to the sheer strake and cut out the deck templates. I am now planning to glue the balsa to the templates. I note that the instructions say ?cement balsa to all edges?. I am having trouble seeing a photo to confirm if they mean ?all? edges or the intention is just to fit balsa to the edges in contact with the hull?
FYI this is my retirement hobby but have yet to retire so could be a long job! But feel better now I have made a start.
Kind regards Dave.
 :smiley1: