Author Topic: HMS Inflexible (1880 or there abouts)  (Read 18883 times)

The Unknown Sailor

Re: HMS Inflexible (1880 or there abouts)
« Reply #15 on: 11 March 2009, 17:56:30 »
Heh Colin

Here is some more useless information for you about HMS Inflexible

Her first Captain was one J.A.Fisher, later to become the First Lord of the Admiralty, and the driving force behind the development of the Dreadnought, and the Battle Cruiser concept.

She was laid down 24 Feb 1874 in Portsmouth Dockyard, and completed in December of 1880, a long time, even for that age.

She had 24" armour around the citadel, the thickest of any capital ship built in a British yard. 22" bulkheads. She was 320' pp  344' oa with a beam of 75' on a displacement of 10,822  tons (load)    11,760 (Deep)  She had a top speed of 15.4 knots, and a radius of action of 4,140 nautical miles @ 10 knots with a coal capacity of 1,300 tons max

She took part in the bombardment of Alexandria in 1882, where it seems she inflicted as much damage upon herself as the enemy, for the blast effect from her guns, apart from smashing many of her own boats,  caused much structural damage. Her slow rated of fire - one broadside every two minutes, meant she was not a very effective ship in terms of naval combat, and she turned out to be a dead end, developmentally speaking. Very interesting ship, none the less.

As well as the two submerged torpedo tubes in the bow, she had the facility to launch torpedoes  from a scoop at the bow, which was lowered, and then down which the torpedo would be launched; and then a system near the stern, where by means of an arrangement of tall sheers, the torpedo could be thrown (or launched from the side of the ship)...good luck trying to find any info on that peculiar set-up Colin.

Reference R A Burt  "British Battleships 1889 - 1904"

The Unknown Sailor

« Reply #16 on: 11 March 2009, 18:17:54 »
Hi Colin

Lets see how this works. I took some photos of pictures from Mr Burt's book,lets see how they come out posting them to the forum

The Unknown Sailor

« Reply #17 on: 11 March 2009, 18:20:07 »
Hmmm...not too successful,    :-\    oh well, worth the try

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: 11 March 2009, 19:25:05 »
a good try, thanks, i think I'll have to find that book as well.

The Unknown Sailor

« Reply #19 on: 11 March 2009, 20:14:03 »
Hi Colin

I think there is only one other photo of Inflexible in the book. It is mostly concerned with the Royal Sovereign Class and beyond, up to Dreadnought. It has one chapter of the development of the Ironclads leading into the main focus of the  book. So, it might not be quite the source material that you are looking for. I was looking for those torpedo launching devices in some of the photos of the other ships of that period....but no luck. So, you may end up spending money for not much advantage ...at least from your personal  perspective. Just thought I'd let you know. It is however, a great source for photos and construction details for the vessels covered in its chapters.

BALDWIN

« Reply #20 on: 14 April 2009, 02:06:12 »
Warship, Volume IV has a short chapter on the Inflexible along with a number of photos.

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: 14 April 2009, 17:49:01 »
thanks for the Info.. ;D

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: 06 May 2009, 19:30:19 »
does anyone have any information about the 2nd Class Torpedo Boat that was on board the Inflexible?

a diecent photo, how and were the Boiler was positioned
and any thing about the Torpedo cradles

Offline Mark

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: 07 May 2009, 13:27:57 »
Colin,

This is the best I have come across for this type of craft and gives quite a lot of detail. Most of these steam vessels carried on board had the boiler centrally placed, as can be seen in the photo when you look at the funnel and vent position.

The torpedo cradles are also shown. They are a basic cantilever launching style with a bar running between the two cradles. I have a drawing that shows how they operate if you want I can scan it for you?

Mark

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: 07 May 2009, 13:35:51 »
that photo is absolutly fantastic, yes please i must have it, and anything else you might have, i'll PM you my mail address..

Offline Mark

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: 07 May 2009, 16:45:25 »
I have emailed you the drawing and will send you some hi-res versions of these two.

Mark

BALDWIN

« Reply #26 on: 14 May 2009, 01:34:04 »
Mr. King does a nice job in his book on modelling Victorian Battleships.