Author Topic: HMS Javelin Build  (Read 3475 times)

Offline Railbob

• Warrant Officer
HMS Javelin Build
« on: 21 January 2021, 09:54:05 »
Hi everyone, I’ve been trying to post some photos of my Javelin build but have had some issues, Colin will be adding them on my behalf ( thanks Colin). I started her around May last year and put her in the water on Tuesday. Hopefully you’ll like her .I’ve put a couple of videos on YouTube of her.  https://youtu.be/U5p9sOOt3rk https://youtu.be/539U90w0hsY

Offline Pegasus

• Captain
Re: HMS Javelin Build
« Reply #1 on: 21 January 2021, 19:43:57 »
You have done a grand job with the HMS Javelin. Thought about the Amethyst as well but it will be either Manxman or Verulam,

Offline Kiyoshi Sekiguchi

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 22 January 2021, 04:16:43 »
Hi Railbob;
I have enjoyed the video in which HMS Javelin was sailing so impressively on a calm water, leaving beautiful wakes.
By the way,did you succeed in placing the ballast as low as possible in a hull ? :grin1:

Kiyo

Offline Pegasus

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 22 January 2021, 11:10:25 »
I meant to ask you what running gear did you use ie motors propellers battery and speed controller. At which stage of her career does the ship represent. I think late 1944 because of the lattice mast. She had a busy time including the bombardment of Cherbourg with HMS Revenge, Operation Pedestal and many other actions mostly forgotten.

Offline Railbob

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #4 on: 22 January 2021, 12:05:45 »
Hi Pegasus and Kiyoshi, thanks for your comments. Pegasus I’ve built her as she was in 1944, for her running gear I have used an Mtroniks Viper 20 marine ESC with Deansmarine Kondor motors, the props are the kit supplied one which work very well and the r/c kit is an Absima SR2S .
Kiyoshi, yes managed to get the ballast right down on the keel, I also discovered that I was slightly short on weight so added an extra 200g. She’s now very stable as you can see in the video.

I’m thinking of doing a build vlog while doing Amethyst but I’ll think it over before starting,don’t want to seem narcissistic and I don’t think I could handle the fame, you never know I could end up on Strictly like a lot of vloggers ;D
« Last Edit: 22 January 2021, 12:07:25 by Railbob »

Offline Pegasus

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 18 April 2021, 16:08:24 »
Did you ever fit bilge keels to the Javelin ? They certainly work tried the Solebay on Friday she sailed a treat there was hardly any roll. However forgot to take my camera to film the occasion. will film and photograph next time.

Offline Railbob

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #6 on: 19 April 2021, 13:36:50 »
Hi Pegasus, I hope to get them fitted shortly as I’ve been busy on Amethyst and getting ready for the sailing season as soon as lockdown is out of the way. I think my arms are falling off with all the scrubbing down of sprayhoods and dodgers etc. :grin1: ::DD

Offline Pegasus

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 19 April 2021, 19:46:05 »
Hoping to get down to Richmond tomorrow morning will try to film the Solebay. Have started HMS Verulam while the kit does not come with Bilge Keels. I manages to get a book detailing the War Built destroyers and the line drawing shows Bilge Keels for Verulam and Javelin. Are you fitting them to Amethyst?

Offline Railbob

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #8 on: 19 April 2021, 20:11:24 »
I'm not sure yet Pegasus, the hull on Amethyst is much "squarer" along the sides and keel than Javelin, it might not have the tendency to roll as much. I'm a couple of weeks away from putting her into the water due to my other commitments I mentioned earlier so I'll hang off fitting them at the moment. It's a pity I'm working tomorrow otherwise I'd be at Richmond in a heartbeat. Be aware there was a submerged log about 10 feet away from the side and about 15 feet to the left of the launching area.It might be lifted out by now but just be careful.
« Last Edit: 19 April 2021, 20:13:36 by Railbob »

Offline Pegasus

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 19 April 2021, 20:26:05 »
Thanks for the Heads up.

Offline Pegasus

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 19 April 2021, 20:33:01 »
May be of help

Offline Railbob

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #11 on: 20 April 2021, 09:11:05 »
Thanks Pegasus, looking at the photo it will probably be best to fit them before I put her in the water.