Hints and Tips > Electrics

Set up for Rudder servo/linkage.

<< < (2/4) > >>

colin:
Hi Paul,

the set up is nearly correct...
servo at the furthest point, now you will have to move the connection on the rudder closer to the rudder post..
you might have to move the servo further to the rear transform, so the linkage remains reasonably straight...

paul swainson:
Thanks for the information, will try moving the rudder connect closer to the rudder.   I was wondering if there is a longer servo arm to which I could use or a 90 degree angle rudder arm.   This may help with pushing the rudder arms futher over to increase the angle on the rudder.  I have used the standard 4 arm control cutting off one arm.  If there was an arm which is longer by 10mm this may help.

mikearace:
Colin is right from the pic in that you have the linkage to the servo arm on the furthermost point of the servo arm but there is no room to manouvere it so as to result in more circumference travel than where it is now.  To do this you would need to maybe move the servo.  Or,  I suggest you maybe want to try and discard that linkage to the servo arm and between the tillers, leave the servo where it is and use piano wire to link the servo to the tiller and then to each tiller in the closer holes to the rudder shaft.  Not sure if that makes sense but I think I understand what I am saying.  That will allow you to experiment with each hole to see how much extra throw you can get.

colin:

--- Quote from: paul swainson on 23 April 2012, 15:58:20 ---I was wondering if there is a longer servo arm to which I could use or a 90 degree angle rudder arm.
--- End quote ---

Yes Paul, would be the answer.

there are lots of ways to lengthen the Servo arms or use a 90 degree tiller...

Tiller Arm not to sure of the size of your rudder post, from the photo it looks as if its 4mm..

for your set up... i would first try and get some different tiller arms... make the linkage between the rudders on the stern side of the rudder post, and then the servo to rudders on the front side of the rudder post, as in the drawing.. ^^^

paul swainson:
@ Mike, Will remove the arm from the servo, and the connecting rod to the rudder arm.   Then connect the servo using wire to each each rudder arm starting from the closes and work my way to the furthest and measure the throw.   Got that, so what do I attach to the servo to hold the wire, a four arm or 6 arm servo control arm?

@Colin,  When I look on the internet there does not appear to be any measurements given for servo or rudder arms.   Do you know of a site that may make them to suit?   Your diagram is great but I do not have the space at the back of the rudders to link them as per your diagram.   I might look at making a smaller connection to the rudder which may leave enough space to fit a connection, but I feel there is not enough room for this., the connection has to be in the front.

Thanks guys for the help in this matter.

Paul.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version