Author Topic: Fairmile 'D'  (Read 16983 times)

The Unknown Sailor

Fairmile 'D'
« on: 04 January 2009, 19:25:52 »
Here's my first attempt at a Deans Marine kit (fiberglass / styrene). Colour scheme is of my own choosing, and obviously not to anything approaching original spec's. I went for a selection of grays, to get better contrast, and when all is said and done, this is a scale model of a boat which hasn't existed in nearly 60 years, so in affect, an exercise in fantasy, so I ran with the artistic license  ::)

The boat runs exceptionally well on the water...at a very good scale speed, though I did have to add about 4 lbs of lead ballast, distributed around the hull, to get her to sit right in the water.

I spent quite a bit of time on the interior / machinery spaces, and have to say, it was time well spent. The 2  6 pounder turrets rotate, courtesy of some scrounged parts out of a Meccano set..hey, they were laying about and therefore free

The Unknown Sailor

Re: Fairmile 'D'
« Reply #1 on: 04 January 2009, 19:26:56 »
Here is another

The Unknown Sailor

« Reply #2 on: 04 January 2009, 19:28:08 »
And the business end

The Unknown Sailor

« Reply #3 on: 04 January 2009, 23:18:37 »
Just took a couple of shots on the water...hope you enjoy.

The Unknown Sailor

« Reply #4 on: 04 January 2009, 23:20:46 »
Here's # 2

The Unknown Sailor

« Reply #5 on: 04 January 2009, 23:25:03 »
WOW...from an able seaman to a petty officer in one day...I should try this in real life :o

The Unknown Sailor

« Reply #6 on: 04 January 2009, 23:28:45 »
 ...the "Engine room", or at least part of it.

The Unknown Sailor

« Reply #7 on: 04 January 2009, 23:31:37 »
And finally..... the gas tank

The Unknown Sailor

« Reply #8 on: 11 January 2009, 20:41:35 »
Further to my conversation with Jonathan at Deans Marine, a most helpful individual I might add, is a brief description of "What's in there" pertaining to the last picture posted above...

Image  shows the boat, where the left hand side of the photo is looking forward towards the foredeck where the foredeck 6 pounder is mounted. what you can see in the picture, immediately in front of the batteries are the 2 fuse holders, one for each speed controller and their corresponding pair of motors - They are set with 25 amp mini blade auto type fuses, which seem to be quite adequate for the load from the motors.

The prop shafts are mounted with 40mm three  blade props, giving a reasonable turn of speed for about 25 minutes of battery life. Even after that time running, the motors, while warm to the touch, are not so hot as to induce one to recoil away from touching.

Interestingly, when testing the motors in the pool, with an amprobe, and with 35mm props mounted, at low speed, the amperage draw was 5.8 amps for the port pair and 5.1 amps for the starboard pair, however, when turned up to flank speed the combined 4 motors barely topped 1.5 amps. My theory is that as the model was held stationary - in order to get an amperage reading, that as the speed of the prop rotation increased, the load on the shafts decreased, as the water was unable to fill the void created by the the back thrust of the props in motion. Anyway, this means that I don't really know what the actual running load is, whatever, it is obviously very comfortably under 25 amps, my next trick being to change the fuses to 20 amp max, which will probably be fine, and so give the speed controllers and motors a greater safety margin.

OK, Back to your question...what's in there. Just in front of all the wiring is the switching mechanism for the turret mount motors for the 2 6 pounder guns. It is a stand cannibalized from an old Meccano set, with a piece of 1mm styrene for the mounting board for the two servos, which are connected to 2 DPDT switches, actually the switches are centre off type. These in turn are connected to their corresponding actuator motors, which turn the reduction gears, rotating the turrets at a fairly reasonable slow rate. One partial set of reduction gears/drive linkage can be seen at the extreme top left corner of the picture. The actuator motors are from a Maerklin Metal set. Bulky, a little noisy in the workshop, but almost silent out on the water, but functional, and the best part, totally free, as all the parts have been  laying about the house in boxes for years now.

The battery pack (of 4 AA type) to the right of the main 6v battery, is the power source for these 2 actuator motors, and are the only disposable batteries in the boat. Given the amount of use and amperage draw from these motors, the battery life expectancy is quite a few months, as obviously the boat isn't in the water all the time. The switch mounted above the batteries is dedicated to to those batteries and insures that there can be no chance of one of the DPDT switches being left in a closed circuit condition when the boat's electrics get shut down after use.

The shelf just visible on the port side (bottom edge) is for all the radio gear, which at the moment is just the receiver. It is high up, and out of the way, so any water shipped through the prop shafts, (which is not much), presents absolutely no danger to the radio.

The radio gear is a "Robbe" F-14 marine version, with the dual throttle sticks. I plan on installing a sound system with various noises...money permitting, in the future. With this in mind, I made a deck, between the prop shafts and the rudder assembly, where there is plenty of room to mount everything, as well as the drive mechanism for the aft 6 pounder. With engines roaring, guns blazing, machine guns chattering, and alarms screaming, it will be sure to terrorize the duck population on the lake where we run the boat, let alone what it might do to the local joggers .  ::) 
« Last Edit: 11 January 2009, 20:59:27 by The Unknown Sailor »

FrankM

« Reply #9 on: 12 January 2009, 04:43:15 »
Hello Unknown Sailor.

I am currently in the planning stage for building a Fairmile D and was kindly directed to your forum topic by Jonathan at Deans Marine.  His message indicated you might live in Australia - true?  If so, anywhere near Melbourne?

FrankM

The Unknown Sailor

« Reply #10 on: 12 January 2009, 11:39:36 »
Hi Frank

Looks like we logged in together

The Unknown Sailor

« Reply #11 on: 12 January 2009, 11:42:17 »
As to your question ... afraid not, I live in the US, on the east coast ...Miami, to be exact.

If you have any questions about the model, feel free to ask. Hopefully my answers will be helpful.  ;)

Offline grah

• Able Seaman
« Reply #12 on: 05 March 2009, 03:56:10 »
Hello Unknown Sailor.

I am currently in the planning stage for building a Fairmile D and was kindly directed to your forum topic by Jonathan at Deans Marine.  His message indicated you might live in Australia - true?  If so, anywhere near Melbourne?

FrankM

Offline grah

• Able Seaman
« Reply #13 on: 05 March 2009, 04:05:02 »
Hello Frank M,
I am about to start a Fairmile D build and live in melbourne.Perhaps we can get together to discuss building.Have built some PT boats in the last few years to 1/24 scale.

Regards
Grah.

Offline hotjava

• Lt-Commander
  • I like to build things
« Reply #14 on: 05 March 2009, 06:36:23 »
Hi Unknown Sailor,

Nice build!  How long did it take you to build something like this?  This was your first build of a Dean's kit.  Did you find it difficult?  Thanks for sharing!

Oliver