Author Topic: HMS Bramble build  (Read 157030 times)

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
Re: HMS Bramble build
« Reply #165 on: 15 February 2014, 19:47:27 »
Hi Sago,  Paul has about covered the tools etc. But there is another requirement, bucket loads of patience, you are, like myself, a carpenter and joiner and used to crafting things with your hands, my friend, you should have no trouble adapting those skills to model ship building, if you need help any time we are pleased to answer your questions. Joe.
« Last Edit: 15 February 2014, 19:49:10 by radio joe »

Offline mikearace

• Captain
« Reply #166 on: 15 February 2014, 21:11:22 »
Sago

I have not artisan skills or training as such my training and skills lie in paper pushing!  However with some patience and a little common sense and using the advice and tips picked up from others I have managed to build a few passable builds from Deans.  Im sure if I can do a basic passable build without being a skilled craftsman, Im sure you will have no problem turning out something excellent.  Remember though that these kits benefit from significant input from the builder as opposed to just putting them together - sometimes people do buy them open the box and are disappointed as its not quite the 'airfix' kit they were expecting.  This site has loads of builds with great tips and everyone on here does learn from each others builds.     

Offline Sago

• Able Seaman
« Reply #167 on: 16 February 2014, 13:29:49 »
Hi - Mike & Joe. Many thanks for your interesting replies which have given me the confidence that I might be able to complete a "BRAMBLE" model to represent HMS Wave - M385. My time aboard was somewhat short as she ran aground in St. Ives bay on the 30th September 1952, having taken shelter from imminent gale force winds forecast at this time. She was eventually re-floated and resumed service with the Fishery Protection Squadron until she was placed in reserve in July 1958 and was sadly sent to the breakers yard in 1962. After her refit following her salvage recovery from St. Ives her armament was revised, however I shall fit her out with her original WWII armaments as I remember her.

There is a book which details HMS Wave's grounding with lots of interesting information about HMS Wave and other Algerine Fleet Minesweepers. If any one is interested I would be happy to loan the book for a look see on the understanding that I would want it's return.

Regards - Sago     

Offline mikearace

• Captain
« Reply #168 on: 16 February 2014, 15:26:28 »
Interesting to hear about your time on Wave.  My father, who sadly crossed the bar 10 years ago, was on Mariner in 1952-54 on the Fishery Protection Squadron running out of Chatham so although I haven't build an Algerine they are of particular interest to me and every year the ruined chapel at Old Portsmouth I lay a floral tribute for him on behalf of our family.   Mariner soldiered on until       

Offline rondean

• First Sea Lord
  • Admiral
« Reply #169 on: 16 February 2014, 17:38:19 »
Hi all
 one of my favorite boats for looks, cute with lots of interesting parts, some pictures of one of the models in our showroom
hope you enjoy
regards
 Deans Marine

Offline Delboy1958

• Able Seaman
« Reply #170 on: 23 August 2017, 10:27:32 »
Hi Joe
Really nice build like the look of this model.
regards
Derek

Offline Aidan

• Able Seaman
« Reply #171 on: 11 April 2018, 19:40:15 »
Hi Joe , please could you tell me what paint/colours you used for the wooden decking and the blue anti slip? on the deck
Many thanks
Aidan

Offline Smudger

• Able Seaman
« Reply #172 on: 03 August 2018, 15:50:59 »
Great build - just like to say how good your posts are with the photo's.
These are very helpful to myself and probably others who not as experienced as yourself.
An Inspiration  - especially deck fitting, hatch location and deck clutter (always a problem for me).
I am trying to keep my build HMS Pakenham (which not a kit, just plan, which is not good) for my boat far as correct as possible.  I Have come to the conclusion that you can sometimes do your on thing in certain cases. There is very little info online about her and no photo's
Thanks again