Author Topic: HMS Suffolk  (Read 106538 times)

Offline ship's doctor

• Lt-Commander
HMS Suffolk
« on: 23 March 2010, 20:12:31 »
Hi, have been following the threads on the forum for some time- picked up some very useful tips so thank you to everyone writing. I'm a relative newcomer to model boats but I hope that this will be of interest!

Just started work on HMS Suffolk. This is a new hull from Deans of the Kent subclass of County class heavy cruisers (hull would do Kent, Suffolk, Cumberland, Cornwall, Berwick, Australia and Canberra). Quite a lot of interesting options as to when to model the ships- in 1930's buff/white scheme would make a superb model, or as they appeared during WW2 after various refits and camouflages. At 1/96 scale the hull comes out at 2.0m in length and 21cm beam.

I'm trying to represent the ship as she appeared in May 1941 when she discovered Bismarck in the Denmark Strait. The information I have on the ship is quite good up to 1940, after which photos become rarer. For reference I'm using the Mar O'War County Class, Raven & Roberts British Cruisers of WW2 plus internet references (WW2 cruiser site, IWM photos etc.) Not complete but I think I've got enough to have a go!

Photos below of HMS Suffolk in 1941/42, the hull as it comes and then following sanding & fitting of bulkheads and deck beams. Suffolk and Cumberland had part of the stern removed to save weight at refit, this is the next step - will require a very steady hand...

James

Offline Mark

• Captain
Re: HMS Suffolk
« Reply #1 on: 24 March 2010, 07:51:55 »
It's a shame to remove such a nice stern.  ::)

Offline Tommydean

• Lt-Commander
« Reply #2 on: 24 March 2010, 08:45:38 »
James Thats a good looking ship and nice and clean installation of the bulkheads

Offline ship's doctor

• Lt-Commander
« Reply #3 on: 25 March 2010, 22:15:49 »
Thanks Tom, I've enjoyed reading about your HMS Javelin, it was the first Deans kit I made a few years ago. You are making a very sharp and professional job of it- should look great when she is finished!

Regarding the stern- it is a shame- maybe I'll need a strong drink as well as a steady hand!

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: 26 March 2010, 06:43:58 »
she's looking good  ^^^

from which Kit / Semi Kit / Mouldeans is the Hull, last time i was in the Workshops i didn't see it.. !!

Regarding the stern - 80% vol Rum should do the trick  ::DD

i had a similar Delmer, when i cut up my Torpedo boats for my Inflexible, but now there looking fantastic if i mus say so my self  8)

Offline Tommydean

• Lt-Commander
« Reply #5 on: 26 March 2010, 07:16:18 »
James could you post apic of your Javalin?
                                                      Tom

Offline ship's doctor

• Lt-Commander
« Reply #6 on: 28 March 2010, 20:30:22 »
I managed to find an old photo of HMS Javelin on the water (I think at Ellesmere Port show) to scan in- I built her about 8 years ago 'out of the box' without any scratchbuilt modifications.

I don't think the hull is listed yet- I just heard about it from Ron Dean when I went to the workshops to pick up some fittings for another model, when I mentioned I was interested in the County Class. I'm not sure what is planned- whether it will be added to mouldeans range or as a semi kit?

The torpedo boats are looking very good- any more photos of progress??

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: 29 March 2010, 07:07:18 »
sorry not as of yet, but i am working on it.. slowly but surly ;)

Offline ship's doctor

• Lt-Commander
« Reply #8 on: 05 April 2010, 17:43:45 »
Bit more progress this weekend, finally took the dremel to the stern after a few days of worried examination of the plans and marking out the hull. No going back now...

Offline Mark

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 06 April 2010, 08:12:27 »
Bet that was nerve racking  ;)

Offline Tommydean

• Lt-Commander
« Reply #10 on: 08 April 2010, 08:34:25 »
looks good ^^^

Offline ship's doctor

• Lt-Commander
« Reply #11 on: 04 January 2011, 18:23:22 »
Not posted anything on this for a while but a bit more progress... prop tubes, keels and rudder installed. Also been working on some of the fittings: the Walrus seaplane is a Dean's kit, wings scratchbuilt from a drinks can! Quad pom poms again Dean's with scratchbuilt covers and splinter shielding as carried on Suffolk.

I was wondering if anyone has experience of laying wood planking on plastic-card? The main deck is ply so should be no problem, but there is some planking on the superstructure which I was going to make from plastic... worried about any planking on top expanding/lifting etc?

Happy New Year!

James

Offline karlgalster

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: 05 January 2011, 14:38:30 »
A Happy New Year to you.
Looking very good work. Have never attempted wooden planking as yet but if I was doing this I  would try thick superglue over a slightly roughed up styrene deck. Best to try it on scrap platic first :). How did you make the very realistic splinter protection? :-\
Robin
« Last Edit: 05 January 2011, 14:39:38 by karlgalster »

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: 06 January 2011, 16:11:58 »
details are looking nice...

the only experience i have of wood on Plastic is one of Two;

1. as Robin suggested

2. i used UHU plus endfest 300 to glue the Wooden decks of my Inflexible to the plastic decks, a friend of mine also uses this glue to glue single planks to plastic or metal.

Offline ship's doctor

• Lt-Commander
« Reply #14 on: 07 January 2011, 21:10:49 »
Thanks for the suggestions!- will try them out on some scrap plastic...

The splinter protection on the AA mounts is again made from thin plate salvaged from a drinks can (left over from the Walrus!). The mats are then made from milliput 'superfine', given an undercoat of a dark sand colour then overpainted with a lighter cream colour. The rolled up canvas covers are also milliput. 

Electronics nealry finished so hopefully 'sea trials' when the weather is better!