Author Topic: HMS Cossack  (Read 7820 times)

Offline Tjorven

• Warrant Officer
  • Building HMS Cossack
Re: HMS Cossack
« Reply #45 on: 03 January 2019, 20:54:46 »
@Ron: am working with the sheets you mailed me, so far they look very good.

@all out here: I got a problem getting 2 pieces of brass etched railing together. I tried soldering (but I have to admit my cheap-ass soldering pen only has a large pen so that might be the issue) and tried using cyano (but that didn't worked at all).
I tried to put short pieces of the railings onto a standing post (if you understand what I mean).
Or should I overlap the railings and sand them down a little bit? I have been testing on 2 pieces of scrap, but I don't want to ruin too much of it since I have  a limitted supply.

New pictures will follow shortly.

Online rondean

• First Sea Lord
  • Admiral
« Reply #46 on: 04 January 2019, 08:43:41 »
@Ron: am working with the sheets you mailed me, so far they look very good.

@all out here: I got a problem getting 2 pieces of brass etched railing together. I tried soldering (but I have to admit my cheap-ass soldering pen only has a large pen so that might be the issue) and tried using cyano (but that didn't worked at all).
I tried to put short pieces of the railings onto a standing post (if you understand what I mean).
Or should I overlap the railings and sand them down a little bit? I have been testing on 2 pieces of scrap, but I don't want to ruin too much of it since I have  a limitted supply.

New pictures will follow shortly.

Hi
 When i want to join stanchions make the join at stanchion post, the other end the three rails, join them just behind the post with a slight overlap, the secet of a good join is CLEAN, make sure the brass at the joint is bright and clean with fine sandpaper, then tin with flux or use solder paint.
 a few pics of the rebuild I am on over Xmas break

Offline Tjorven

• Warrant Officer
  • Building HMS Cossack
« Reply #47 on: 04 January 2019, 15:56:36 »
thanks Ron, I will try this weekend again.

Offline Tjorven

• Warrant Officer
  • Building HMS Cossack
« Reply #48 on: 22 January 2019, 18:27:25 »
So after a long silence, here is the work I have done since last time:

The aft superstructure is partially done, I still need to do the E-conning but for that I am looking for some more info, or manual or guide since I have nothing on that part so far. I assume it is supposed to have wooden planking as floor, but any more information is welcome.

I have also finished the platform for the quadruple vickers cannons, complete with railing.

Last I have made the aft chimney with all details. Only thing left to do is to fix the ladder between the AA platform and the platform on the chimney, once I have made the platform on which it all will sit.

Offline Charles Hart

• Petty Officer
« Reply #49 on: 24 January 2019, 09:20:27 »
Coming along very nicely!

Offline mikearace

• Captain
« Reply #50 on: 29 January 2019, 12:41:26 »
Nice work

Offline Tjorven

• Warrant Officer
  • Building HMS Cossack
« Reply #51 on: 13 March 2019, 20:25:19 »
And a further update on my boat,

last month I have been designing the guns that will go on, as the kits delivered ones are, well, moulded parts and it didn't came together all to well.

So here are some renderings, based on the Norman Ough plans and photographs founds on the internet.

Also I am looking for any info on the depth charge delivery mechanism at the stern. It's hard to believe it's not in a rack but I cannot find any specific info other then it was a small rack and I find different numbers (1 rack with 2 throwers, another website is saying 2 racks 2 throwers).

Any specific info on the rack (or maybe even a plan) would be much appreciated.

**pictures will follow shortly, as the rendering is taking some extra time**

Offline Tjorven

• Warrant Officer
  • Building HMS Cossack
« Reply #52 on: 17 March 2019, 20:09:02 »
As promised some pictures: