Author Topic: HMS Illustrious.  (Read 363581 times)

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
Re: HMS Illustrious.
« Reply #15 on: 30 December 2013, 16:16:32 »
Hi Paul, Happy new year to you and I look forward to your next build. Joe

Offline mikearace

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: 30 December 2013, 19:32:04 »
Well good luck with it Im sure it will be a satisfying build.  If the spits are die cast @20 in your ACG that might be an awful lot of extra top weight.  I know its a substantial hull and beamy but any thoughts on if there will be any adverse impact on so much extra weight high up at Flight Deck level from them all?

Offline Fighting Sailor

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #17 on: 30 December 2013, 23:00:28 »
Hi Paul,

My buddy in L.A. Ca.  Mike Ploeger has built the most beautiful 1/96 model of USS Shangri La and can give you some great advice as to how to proceed.  He also came up with his own castings for the aircraft which are hollow, very light and very detailed.  You can look him up on the modelwarshipsunderway forums. He is a member of Task Force 96.  I have several of his aircraft which I am incorperating into a future project USS San Jacinto CVL 31...   The forum is located at: www.modelwarshipsunderway.com 

Steve

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: 31 December 2013, 00:15:21 »
Hi guys,  I have looked at the weight and will have about 12 on deck with others in the hanger, also the wings can be removed and the inside of the fuselage can be skimmed out to reduce the weight, also the wings.   I go 20 so that if I make any errors I have a few to play with.  Better safe then sorry.

I have looked at some of the other ideas and feel that with the mould kit that Joe used I might be able to mould some as these kits do break down into wings fuselage, prop and wheels.   There fore ideal for that work and the detail would be great as the hard work has been done.   But we will see the total weight of the  planes is less then the weight that will be in the hull to give stability.

Will take a look at at your mates build Steve and see what extra in ideas I can find.   Always use more info to assist in my build.   Have been looking at motors and ESC to see if brushless is the way to go too.

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: 31 December 2013, 09:28:39 »
Hi Paul, I came across these photos of Seafires folding wing configuration, you've probably already seen them but I thought I would post them in case they help, and don't forget about the A-frame arrestor hook, but knowing you, you have most likely thought of that. Joe.

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: 31 December 2013, 12:09:36 »
you could also make your own resin versions.... !!  8)

got my self a starter kit, arrived today.... (thanks for the link Joe)

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: 31 December 2013, 13:22:17 »
OK Colin, I hope you find it as fascinating as I do, it's quite amazing what you can do with a bit of imagination and an invaluable extention to our hobby. Joe.

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: 04 February 2014, 18:23:49 »
Well all the Spitfires arrived today, and looking at them it will be fun to cut the wings to folding position and fit the landing claw hook.   Had a good read of the Anatomy of ships for HMS Victorious, and see a lot of the drawing are in scales from 1/550,1/275,1/250,1/200 and as low as 1/15.   Need to find away to increase the scale to 1/96 for those above and to descale those below 1/96.   If I remember my maths correctly to convert small size to large size take the 1/550 divide by 1/96 and I should have the percentage to increase the magnification of the drawings.   i.e. 550/96 = 5.729%, can any one confirm if that is correct?
« Last Edit: 04 February 2014, 18:25:20 by paul swainson »

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: 05 February 2014, 06:09:23 »
it might be easier to get some of these to chop up before you start cutting the ready built ones...!!

Deans Aircraft Kits

ref. your maths, that's how i would have done it... now whether that's right, would be the next question  ::DD ::DD

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: 05 February 2014, 09:16:04 »
Hi Paul and welcome home,   now your talking about maths my brain just shut down, never was my strong point,  I just find out a size of the actual object in feet and convert it to 1/8"s  I can manage that That's why I like 1:96 .  Joe

Offline cabin boy

• Warrant Officer
  • Retired 67 years
« Reply #25 on: 05 February 2014, 14:31:07 »
Hi Paul Joes maths spot on. If you have an actual scale model and not the actual full size measurements i.e. 1/550 then multiply by 550 thus producing life size  measurements. Then divide by 96 (1/8)
Cheers Clive

Offline mikearace

• Captain
« Reply #26 on: 05 February 2014, 20:01:43 »
Paul

Have you seen this months Ships Monthly?

http://www.shipsmonthly.com/magazine/latest-issue

It contains a 4/5 page article on Illustrious class carriers.  Not hugely in depth but another piece of research to add to your list that you might find useful.

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #27 on: 06 February 2014, 15:54:22 »
Yes Colin, will order one or two of the Spits from Deans, but they are Mk x, the air craft I have are Mk 1 and 2 which fit the era of the ship when built and before she was modified for the Pacific.   I am playing with glue and solder to see how the bond will take for the wings.  The Landing claw will drill very nicely into the frame of the plain.

Hi Mike no I do not have or see that magazine, looked at the web site and did not see anythink but will visit my local paper shop and see if they have a copy.  Saw the article on the Oz new Camberra class Helicopter ship L02, have see her in Williamstown and posted some photos of her  on my flicker account and have others on my hard drive if any one wants to see them.

There are scale drawings on the book on HMS Victorious and to be able to use them I will need to enclage them with a photo copier to the size of 1/96 so that I can then reproduce the item.  A lot of the items on this ship will have to be scratch built and as there is not  lot of photos of close up detail having to find all I can from scale plans.

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #28 on: 11 February 2014, 15:04:12 »
Well guys here is my first pro-to type of the seafire with folding wings.   I made a template of where to cut and drill for the wings to be supported, and then cut to see how it would go.  I have decided that the wings are thick enough to take 2 x 0.51mm wire  inserts to give more strength to hold the wings in position rather then bonding  as an additional support beside the two upright beams as per the real thing.  Some paint work will be required to cover the cuts and scratches.  Paul

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: 11 February 2014, 16:26:55 »
Hi Paul, Looks like a very nice job from here, As I understand it she carried some Swordfish, The old stringbag is one of my favourite old aircraft and of course payed a major part in the defeat of Bismark, will you have any on board. Joe