Author Topic: HMS Amethyst  (Read 9656 times)

Offline Darren Williams

• Able Seaman
HMS Amethyst
« on: 09 January 2016, 22:18:20 »
Happy new year all, after purchasing HMS Amethyst at the Christmas weekend all I wanted to do was start they build, but no as soon as I got home this was taken and wrapped ready for Christmas by orders of the wife. So the the build started on the 28th December and the panic began, as this was my first build but with guidance from my dad all has started well.

Reading through the instructions and starting step by step first with work on the hull ready for bulk heads to go in this was fine until installing the prop shafts sausage fingers, note to self install prop shafts first in future builds.

Amethyst has progressed a lot further since photos were taken, motor mounts installed modified as space is tight, servo mount installed. Decks are being prepped for fitting, which has caused issues with location of bulkheads but we shell overcome I like a challenge.

More pic's to follow hope you will enjoy my build log from start to finish it may not be technical and with correct terms but photos may help others.       
« Last Edit: 17 January 2016, 20:08:44 by Darren Williams »

Offline Darren Williams

• Able Seaman
Re: HMS Amethyst
« Reply #1 on: 17 January 2016, 20:39:29 »
Battery tray installed at base of hull which has assisted with straightening hull.

ESC/RX shelf above battery tray which will be held in by velcro to assist with removal.

Rear/Stern super structure had to be built to assist with fitting of decks, this was due to lower deck being a tad long ok 30mm but this will be over come as unable to cut excess. Bulkhead between lower and upper deck had to be moved this will be re-installed once lower deck installed.

Portholes drilled ready for a bit of tweaking prior to 4mm brass tube fitted and glazed.   

Offline karlgalster

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 19 January 2016, 18:44:25 »
Hi Darren
I like your build and enthusiasm. How do you intend glazing the brass tube portholes? I use epoxy resin with a cocktail stick with the porthole horizontal as suggested by Deans Marine.

Robin

Offline Darren Williams

• Able Seaman
« Reply #3 on: 20 January 2016, 13:52:00 »
Hi Robin

Thank you for your kind comments

The brass tube will be held vertical on tape and epoxy resin to seal, then finished with liquid glass once placed.

Offline karlgalster

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 20 January 2016, 16:26:34 »
Liquid glass - very interested to see how that turns out. Is that like the Deluxe Materials Glue 'n' Glaze product?
Robin

Offline Darren Williams

• Able Seaman
« Reply #5 on: 21 January 2016, 14:19:56 »
Just double checked the product is Solid Water not liquid glass this was recommended by Ron

Offline Darren Williams

• Able Seaman
« Reply #6 on: 04 April 2016, 21:30:43 »
Ok more progress since my last post as you will see in the photos

Offline karlgalster

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 05 April 2016, 18:00:52 »
Coming along well.  :)

Offline ericm

• Able Seaman
« Reply #8 on: 31 May 2020, 20:28:26 »
hi Darren, you say fitting battery box helped straighten the hull, could you explain please.  I am going to order this model tomorrow. looks good progress with your build.  Ericm