Author Topic: HMS Bulldog - compact kit  (Read 26255 times)

Offline karlgalster

• Captain
Re: HMS Bulldog - compact kit
« Reply #30 on: 19 March 2016, 15:45:49 »
Hi guys. I took the Bulldog to the lake for a trial run. The photo shows the boat in the calm of the launching dock whereas conditions in open water were quite windy. The boat works well. The "poor man's mixer" works quite well giving a very tight turning. However the rudders will need some fine tuning in that the rudder movement is too much on full helm giving a partial braking effect. On full helm the inside motor is switched off so heading into the wind the partial brake effect on the outside prop resulted in minimal forward thrust. Reduction of rudder movement should help.

Offline swiftdoc

• Captain
« Reply #31 on: 19 March 2016, 19:44:01 »
Hi Robin, she is a real beauty on the water  ^^^ :) ^^^
Regards Arno

Offline karlgalster

• Captain
« Reply #32 on: 20 March 2016, 12:53:06 »
Thanks Arno.
Robin

Offline Troy Tempest

• Building HMS Zulu since 1987
  • Lt-Commander
« Reply #33 on: 21 March 2016, 17:18:21 »
She looks terrific in her element

Offline karlgalster

• Captain
« Reply #34 on: 21 March 2016, 19:13:43 »
You are right, despite only being a tiddler at 24 inches she does seem a good sea boat (as DM states in their bumpf).  :)
Robin

Offline swiftdoc

• Captain
« Reply #35 on: 21 March 2016, 19:19:51 »
Did you already test her maneuverability going astern, Robin? None of my ships is really good at that especially in windy conditions which I regret when it comes to our club  competition.
Arno

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #36 on: 22 March 2016, 05:36:14 »
you have done your self... or your wife proud there Robin... ^^^

@Arno.. nearly every single ship/boat that has a single prop has Problems going Astern, even the real things have Problems.  :)
Now, depending on the RPM's of the Motor, the direction of Motor turning and the direction of prop turning.. this can be Counter balanced.. but does not always work.. most twin shafted ships cancel this Action out with, in or out Tuning props..

Offline swiftdoc

• Captain
« Reply #37 on: 22 March 2016, 18:34:15 »
@Colin: You are right, Colin: today we made a trip by ship at the lake Trasimeno in Italy during our holidays in windy conditions. The captain needed five trials to berth the ship successfully ::)

Robin's aim is fantastic: a small model for the wife which performs well astern. I might be tempted to copy him 8)

Offline karlgalster

• Captain
« Reply #38 on: 23 March 2016, 19:17:13 »
Bulldog certainly goes astern in a very controllable way. The owner has already had a go and seems happy with it (thank heaven  ^^^). I have given it a good coat of varnish but once the wife gets going on steering competitions there may be a few marks on that nice pristine white hull. ;D.

Robin

Offline swiftdoc

• Captain
« Reply #39 on: 24 March 2016, 08:18:41 »
Thanks for the information and good luck for the competitions! ^^^ ;) ^^^

Offline blitzbob

• Able Seaman
« Reply #40 on: 13 December 2018, 14:17:52 »
I'm about half way through. Love your model. But I've never come across a kit with so many differences between the plan, instructions etc. You've done well but I think the kit is poor.

Offline karlgalster

• Captain
« Reply #41 on: 13 December 2018, 18:56:27 »
Hi blitzbob, thank you for your kind comments.
You are quite right, like all the DM kits I have done HMS bulldog does have some shortcomings  ::DD

I think most modellers who buy multiple DM kits are semi scratch builders who like doing their own thing including their own research into the original vessel and its fittings and with this approach one tends to forgive some aspects of the kits. I tend to use the kits as a guideline to the model and do not take anything as gospel.

For new comers to the hobby the kits can be very frustrating.  >:D

I have (wife actually) been sailing the model for some time now and it works very well. Although diminutive in size it rides choppy waves well with no tendency to get swamped. Being light with a high bow it is a good "sea boat".

Anyway, good luck with your build and if you want more info on mine please ask.

Robin