Author Topic: HMS Zulu build  (Read 321220 times)

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
Re: HMS Zulu build
« Reply #30 on: 07 October 2013, 15:41:30 »
Hi Tanzy,   If any of my build logs help anybody I'm only too pleased, I've learnt from some very talented members of this forum, I think that's what the forums all about.  Joe.
« Last Edit: 07 October 2013, 16:18:26 by radio joe »

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: 07 October 2013, 18:48:36 »
Well I certainly enjoy the challenge of these kits, and tend to only use the instruction sheets as a guide to assembling the superstructures and the plan to position the fittings any thing else I do my own thing.  Joe.

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #32 on: 07 October 2013, 20:01:05 »
Build is coming along nicely Joe, but remember there are 5 long months for winter and you need to slow down or take more time in the detail, with lots of photos and written detail of how you got there so that I and others can drink our tea or cocktails and study your work.  (hows the weather in the UK?  can still watch you from afar Joe.)

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: 07 October 2013, 20:49:19 »
Hi Paul, hope you are enjoying your trip, weather here is quite good, and yes I know I have to try and slow down, but maybe the whole winter was a bit optimistic LOL... Joe.

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #34 on: 10 October 2013, 16:37:29 »
I've fitted the main bulkheads at the foc'sle brakes I'll fit more when I locate the batteries, ESC. R/C gear etc. and fitted deck bearers and cross members, I like to get to this stage before I fit the rudder and prop shaft, I find it makes the hull more stable and better to handle, next I fitted the rudder a couple of spacers and tape to hold upright before fixing tube with epoxy and some stiffeners, next I fitted the 4mm. Raboesch open prop shaft and "A" frame, set shaft tube in first and then the "A" frame  (easy one this being a single shaft),and then the motor.
I intend turning both turrets fitted directly on to the servos most likely using a couple of servo morphs so I need to establish the position of both servos before the deck is finally fitted. Joe.

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #35 on: 10 October 2013, 18:41:14 »
Hi Dave, yes I do prefer the ships boats from him, for 1:96 the detail is very good, and to make the most of the postage I usually get a few miscellaneous  fittings like white metal water tight doors which I think are a bit better than the resin ones, although having said that the resin doors in this Zulu kit are quite good, and with these old style warships you can't have too much clutter. Joe.

Offline mikearace

• Captain
« Reply #36 on: 10 October 2013, 19:52:05 »
Joe, I thought this is a slow winter project????

Your not cutting any corners as always and doing a great job but its not going to take long at this rate!!

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #37 on: 10 October 2013, 22:32:12 »
Yes you are right Mike, but it doesn't seem that quick to me, it's more to do with having a lot of spare time and there's a lot of more complicated parts of the build to come. Joe.

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #38 on: 15 October 2013, 15:08:43 »
Just installed the rudder servo same setup as my other two, I noticed the rudder was turning the opposite way, on investigation the only difference was the other two were Futaba servos and this was a Hitec, of course I could just reverse the channel but as I use the Tx for all my ships I did not want to have to keep reversing the channel, I remembered I had a Futaba servo in an old yacht and as it has it's own Tx , I swapped it for the Hitec and refitted the Futaba to Zulu which now works fine, I had not realised the servos of different makes throw different ways, You do learn something everyday.

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #39 on: 15 October 2013, 16:12:51 »
Today I installed the forward and aft turret servos which will carry the gun turrets directly on top, I plan on using two  Action P96's to run them more realistically, this is what I should have done to Solebay's turrets instead of push rods, never mind you learn a little more with each build.  Joe.

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #40 on: 15 October 2013, 17:15:53 »
sometimes by turning the servo round, so that the arm of the servo is facing the bow insted of the stern, changes the direction... and yes some firms use a different current polarity to drive the servo motor.

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #41 on: 17 October 2013, 16:02:16 »
As in my previous builds I'm making the R/C switch accessible from the deck in the guise of a deck fitting, probably a mushroom vent that is pulled upwards for on and down for off, this way you only need a small hole in the deck instead of a slot that would be needed for a sliding action, I've pre fitted the decks but have left the access hatches till later I prefer to make up the basic superstructure modules and use them to mark the relevant hatches in the deck, the main bridge module on this one sure looks complicated I'll have to get my thinking cap on.  Joe

Offline Tanzy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #42 on: 17 October 2013, 18:03:34 »
Hi Joe, I have not started mine yet due to being busy at work. I am enjoying your build and reading the instructions when you post and it all seems clearer now...hurrah! Can you please post a top shot of the whole ship without the deck on? Many thanks.  ^^^

Offline Tommydean

• Lt-Commander
« Reply #43 on: 18 October 2013, 08:33:29 »
Like your idea for your switch ^^^

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #44 on: 18 October 2013, 10:26:27 »
Hi Tanzy,  Hope the pics help, because of her length it's difficult to get close in one photo,

Hi Tommy, after I built my first kit "Solebay"  I would take her down the lake and have to fiddle around taking off the superstructures that are held down with elastic bands  to turn the R/C on and off, so when I built Bramble I made the switch accessible from the deck and was so pleased with the easy access at the water side I did the conversion on Solebay which had two ESC's so two switches which I simply wired into one switch with a rod through the deck and an ammo box on top, so now I do it to all my builds, but I'm sure I'm by no means the first to do this.  Joe