Author Topic: HMS Inflexible  (Read 320925 times)

Schmidt

Re: HMS Inflexible
« Reply #30 on: 15 December 2009, 19:33:54 »
Hello!
I just joined the forum because I am going to start building the Inflexible too. I was the lucky one to get the first ever sold kit together with a "number ohne"-signature on the plan by Mr. Dean himself.
The hints I already got from this report here are of outstanding importance for me. I am looking forward to any prosecution.
I have already built a ship from the Inflexible-"family", the Chinese Ting Yuen, built on a German dockyard in the 1880s.
If you like to see: http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=39135

Schmidt
« Last Edit: 16 December 2009, 07:24:48 by Schmidt »

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: 16 December 2009, 11:40:16 »
i am sure during the next year or so this thread will grow to a reasonable size, as i get time i will continue posting my findings and adding Photo's of the parts built.

@ Schmidt, your Ting Yuen is also a nice model, i think i might have to pick your brains about making the Sails.

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: 19 January 2010, 16:05:51 »
its been a while since i have posted in here, and as always i have been a little busy, not forgetting that i am a working person and only have the weekends to do any Building.

the second turret is in the making, i have managed to fix the Ram onto the Bow and mould it into the Hull.

the raised bow has been fitted in place; this took some doing, not forgetting what is mentioned in the instructions, that the Bow at 110mm from the bow must be 100mm wide this is extremely important, if these measurements are wrong then the raised bow could be to wide or to narrow, this would mean that the Forward flying deck would not fit snugly up against the raised bow.

after days of applying filler and sanding it down only to apply some more i have managed to thicken up the area around the propshafts, this is not mentioned in the Kits instructions nor is it on the Kits Plans, but the information that i have from books, photo`s and other plans, there is a deffinate evidence that this area is a lot thicker than just a propshaft of 6mm in diameter.

hope you all enjoy the photos

Offline Mark

• Captain
« Reply #33 on: 20 January 2010, 07:49:03 »
That looks like a very good weed removal tool you now have on the front of your model  ;D

The filling around the prop shaft is excellent, it is often a point on a model that is neglected.

Mark

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #34 on: 20 January 2010, 18:47:04 »
 ;D   ;D   ;D  i like the idea of that Mark, might be better if i mould a sharp edge into the Bow as well..  ;D  ;D

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #35 on: 02 February 2010, 05:41:53 »
some weekends it seems as if nothing gets done... but i am hard at work on this project, i have been doing some drawing for some Brass etchings, that are not supplied in the kit.

for example there are turnbuckles that hold the turrets to the turret ring, most of the rigging is also held in place on the deck with turnbuckles.

also all of the blocks wether small, single or double, i have drawn them and will replace the moulded parts that came with the kit with this update.

in previously built models i have noticed that the metal blocks that come with the kit do not like being under strain, they tend to break, at least with brass etchings there is a little more strength so the rigging can be reasonably taught.

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #36 on: 04 February 2010, 16:53:48 »
through the preparations over the past couple of weekends, and last weekend i glued the first part of the sides to the gangway, and just now have glued the rest of the sides in place, they have now been pined to hold in place and can dry over night, so its all nice and firm for the next stage.

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #37 on: 15 February 2010, 17:16:54 »
been down the cellar most of the weekend, i was allowed out for meals.

there is not much to see but here goes.

after looking at a few photo's some of them were of original Torpedo boats and some were the photo's of the kits torpedo boats, i have decided to completely remake my Torpedo boats, there were so many different types of these small craft, basically all are based around a steam Picket boat.

the photo in the top left corner is from the kits instructions, so you can see what has been cut away and what has been replaced.

the remainder of the photo's show my new version, its still in the making but the general layout can be seen.

most of the vacform deck was cut away, which left me with a big hole to fill, part of the hole was filled back in again with a flat piece of 1mm pastic card which is were the engine room is, the aft open area had its side walls installed and a floor, on the top edge is some round plastic to give the top edge the proper finish.
the wheelhouse was also finished in the same way, the photo's that i have show an open wheelhouse with a canvas roof, which will be added later, once the deck and hull has been glued together.

i have even made a couple of 'A' frames for the propshafts and made some Exposed prop shafts,  will just have to find some nice Props now, although the brass etched ones in the kit could be used.

there is still a fair bit of work to be done on the fittings, but i think its looking good.

in the photo's its not quite noticeable how big/small these Torpedo boats are so heres the dimensions;
roughly 20cm long x 3cm wide

Offline karlgalster

• Captain
« Reply #38 on: 16 February 2010, 17:23:05 »
Hi Colin.
Looks like a major project in itself - should be able to add quite  lot of detail on a 20cmx3cm boat but it will be worth it. When I look at a warship model my eyes tend to be drawn to certain aspects - the funnel/s  (breadth, height, rake), gun turrets (realistic or not), masts (rake), rigging (can be too heavy and obstrusive), boats (realistic or not).

I think many vacuum moulded items in kits need a lot of work to make them appear a good representation of the original.

Just my thoughts

Robin

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #39 on: 17 February 2010, 06:51:49 »
Hi Robin,
its allways the little things that make a boat/ship stand out from the rest, for example on my Lis Terkol the extra aerials, and the life belt holders and rope that goes round the life belts, just a few of the added features, and i am sure there will be quite a few added features with this project, so far on the turrets; the canvas holders and the wing nuts, how many other Infexible's will have those things on it. 

Offline karlgalster

• Captain
« Reply #40 on: 17 February 2010, 12:58:02 »
Not many I would think. Looking forward to seeing the Inflexible progress Colin.
Robin

Offline Mark

• Captain
« Reply #41 on: 18 February 2010, 08:33:54 »
Very nice Colin, the ships boats are one of my favorite parts of a build, it's always good to see the detail being added as so many times you look at a model and see solid lumps for the ships boats.  ^^^

Mark

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #42 on: 14 March 2010, 17:05:39 »
i have been working on the torpedo boats a little...

just got to make the holders for the torpedo's and a few minor little things, then its time to paint them..

Offline Mark

• Captain
« Reply #43 on: 14 March 2010, 19:04:36 »
Looking very good, where was the steering position on these boats?

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #44 on: 15 March 2010, 07:22:15 »
most of the steam Picket Boats had the helm just behind the engine room, on the photos that i have there no helm shown, but i guess this type of Torpedo boat had the helm under the front canopy..

well that's were i will be putting mine  ;)