Author Topic: HDMS Tordenskjold, alternative Type 14 frigate.  (Read 34850 times)

Offline hother

• Warrant Officer

Offline NickD

• Warrant Officer
Re: HDMS Tordenskjold, alternative Type 14 frigate.
« Reply #16 on: 20 October 2018, 18:51:21 »
Yes, the radar is the same, AWS-1 . All four Bellona class corvettes receives this radar during modernizations at 1960-1963.
The AWS-1 was Decca Radar’s first S-band sea-going radar. The product was developed in 1956/7, initially to address a Royal Danish Navy requirement for Air and Surface Warning with Target Indication.
AWS-1 and its 3D stabilized version AWS-2 can be seen on HMS Mermaid, Iranian Alvand class frigates, Brasilean  Niteroi class frigates, Ghana Kromantse class, Nigerian Dorina and ERIN'MI corvettes and also on some asian countries ships.

Offline NickD

• Warrant Officer
« Last Edit: 05 January 2019, 21:06:40 by NickD »

Offline hother

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #18 on: 06 January 2019, 18:19:49 »
Thank you so very much for your splendid photos. She is a beauty.

Looking forward to see and hear much about your projekt. ^^^

And a very happy new year to you as well. :smiley1:

Offline mikearace

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: 08 January 2019, 14:56:39 »
Interesting project that's coming on nicely.  It's a good imagination of a variation on these often overlooked workhorses.  They were very seaworthy, even if they did roll a lot.  I like your choice of weapon fit to beef up the firepower, particularly the A/S launcher forward but I do recall the original third Bofors on the quarter deck of type 14s was soon removed as it was virtually unusable in any sort of swell. I think if they had been exported to a NATO navy, other than the Indian exports, the weapons and sensors would have been changed, a bit like Dutch Leander's such as the Evertsen,  so your thinking wouldn't be too far off the mark I'd guess.  I look forward to seeing your progress. 

Offline NickD

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #20 on: 08 January 2019, 22:16:46 »
Thank You all for the kind words!
About the third Bofors, I read about that, so I tried to find better position for the 3 in guns. It is one deck upper and moved close to the center of the ship as possible, but without sacrificing of the firing arc. Unfortunately there is no many free space in such small ship, and i cant figure better position. I tried to calculate metacentric height too, but my data is quite approximate. Abstract from that, i saw nothing dangerous, compared to the real variant.
I hope the project will go on faster, when I finish with the decks. All other detail added will be easily visible, then. I have some tiny Neodym magnets to be used for deck hatches locks. Also I plan to add an antislip Chequer Plate surface to the foredeck, close to the Deans blueprints.
I will post the results as soon as i made it!

Best Regards and have a nice evening!

« Last Edit: 08 January 2019, 22:41:58 by NickD »

Offline NickD

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #21 on: 03 February 2019, 18:10:47 »
Good Evening!

A few elements in the middle of the painting. Details nicely seen!

Afterdeck superstructure still in the middle of the print, I suppose it will be left for a next week.

Offline hother

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #22 on: 04 February 2019, 13:33:16 »
Looks like you are doing a fine job. Looking much forward to even much more photos ^^^

Offline NickD

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #23 on: 09 May 2019, 21:26:48 »
Hello again!
Sorry for my long absence - some medical problems and a lots of routine responsibilities.
But work still goes on, even it is somehow slow.
There are some of new things done:

A pair of Oerlicons for fishery protection.
I found a place for them on the central superstructure, near the fire control radar.

3d printed, designed by me rear running light.

Rear running light working. Still not painted.

An example of deck hatches magnetic locks.

Improvised paint workshop. Rudder is ready, main gun internal parts on primer,
rear running light received paint too.

Main deck ready.

Rear superstructure 3D-printed by my friend.
The starboard blast screen replaced. You can see part of the old style blast screen on the port side.

Antislip coating glued to the foredeck.
Horizontal RC anttenna is visible too.
It will be masked with ASW mortar.

Rear superstructure with the main gun partially painted.

Main gun partially painted, You can see gun sight and control panel too.
A very little of them is visible, so I decide not to 3D-print them, but to make them scratchbuild manually.

Another view of the main gun.

Have a nice evening!

Offline hother

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #24 on: 12 May 2019, 08:51:39 »
Very nice to hear from you again. Looking forward for even more photos of your frigate. ^^^

Offline NickD

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #25 on: 13 May 2019, 12:30:08 »
Thank you very much! I'll try to work (and post photos) more regularly. I was a little tired from working in basement these days, so I decide to put a hammer aside for a little, and have some fun with paintbrush instead.
Sorry, the items are not fully finished yet, but I enjoy like a little kid (this is actually my first model paintjob, please, dont judge me very hard!) ;)

Offline NickD

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #26 on: 16 June 2019, 00:57:02 »
Hello again!
A little more finished elements:

Bofors ASW final and ready to be mounted to the model:

40mm Bofors final, colored as on Peder Skram:

Mk 33 Gun mount completely colored, still without windows.

Rear running light painted, assembled and working.
It can be disassembled safely, if changing of the LED is required.

I take few day-offs to work on the model, because slow progress killing me!
So, I hope I can share an update for the whole model soon.
Have a nice evening!

« Last Edit: 16 June 2019, 00:59:10 by NickD »

Offline hother

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #27 on: 16 June 2019, 23:55:47 »
Thank you so very much for your very nice pictures. I can see, that the 40mm bofors guns is similar to the type used on the RDN Frigates HDMS Peder Skram and HDMS Herluf Trolle. And the last time I saw the main guns was on the RNN Oslo class frigates.

Good jobs my friend.

Offline hother

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #28 on: 17 June 2019, 00:17:24 »
Thank you so very much for your very nice pictures. I can see, that the 40mm bofors guns is similar to the type used on the RDN Frigates HDMS Peder Skram and HDMS Herluf Trolle. And the last time I saw the main guns was on the RNN Oslo class frigates.

Good jobs my friend.

Sorry, I saw a little late, that that you do mention HDMS Peder Skram. Actually the 2 Frigates was Destroyer types, but due to political problems, they could only be classified as Frigates.

Offline NickD

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #29 on: 18 June 2019, 14:46:29 »
That was strange to me, such a powerful frigate... Now I understand, thank You!
I try to use maximum of existing ships as reference to have realistic and detailed exterior. Such detailed photos are very difficult to find, I have only 6 large and clear photos of Type 14 frigates, which I consider as treasure! The way-out of the situation is to use photos from real museum ships of the era. So I use widely HDMS Peder Skram, HMS Cavalier and HMS Belfast as reference. I found many photo tours with close up photos of some details like lamps, loudspeakers, phones, junction boxes etc. Some of these details I already made as 3D-models for printing, others still waiting.
I also fixed a little the color of the Boforses, making them not so chocolate like :) The problem was,that my paint looks dull initially, but applying the varnish give me unexpected effect on this specific paint. I already fixed that and can post photos later with more realistic color of the domes, along with some other new details ready.
Have a nice day!