Author Topic: Higgins PT boat  (Read 4059 times)

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
Higgins PT boat
« on: 03 October 2019, 18:15:14 »
some more photos have been sent into us for publication,  this model has been built from a newly released kit and it is one of the first run kits..

The PT 305 saw service in the Mediterranean. Operated along the southern coast of France and Northern Italy. Part of MTB Squadron 22(Ron22). Painted in Measure 32 modified camouflage. It was an experimental pattern that proved very effective on torpedo runs.  The insignia red on the fantail and the red star on the Radome  with the insignia yellow on the bow were for allied aircraft recognition. Only one of two fully restored operational Higgins PT boats in existence. The other one PT658 never saw service. I got actual paint samples from the current crew chief and had them copied at The Home Depot. Ocean Gray on the deck,Thayer Blue on the forward hull and Deck Blue on the aft part of hull. The M2 60mm mortar, the single 50cal. Machine guns and the 40mm Bofors containers were made by Shapeways. All the painting was by hand, no airbrush.  The boat was matte clear coated with acrylic enamel from a “rattlecan”

Offline barryl

• Able Seaman
Re: Higgins PT boat
« Reply #1 on: 07 October 2019, 18:26:00 »
Thank you for posting pictures of the Higgins PT305 that I built. I am new the the Dean's family and will gladly reply to any questions regarding the build.

Offline barryl

• Able Seaman
Re: Higgins PT boat
« Reply #2 on: 08 October 2019, 16:08:08 »
I have since replaced the four blind nuts with miniature magnets leaving the deck totally clean