Author Topic: light grey spray paint  (Read 16368 times)

Offline satinseat

• Able Seaman
light grey spray paint
« on: 06 January 2017, 13:54:23 »
hi all,
always used the polar grey as suggested on my warships and been very happy but can anyone suggest a lighter and darker alternative for a bit of variety please?
thanks
ian

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
Re: light grey spray paint
« Reply #1 on: 07 January 2017, 10:10:04 »
Hi Ian, sorry cannot help you on that one... I do not know the correct colour table for warships...
You will be better of contacting the workshops direct. ..
maybe minerva or Troy Tempest could help you

Offline Troy Tempest

• Building HMS Zulu since 1987
  • Lt-Commander
« Reply #2 on: 08 January 2017, 18:41:10 »
Minerva will undoubtedly be the oracle here as she is a very experienced modeller in these scales.
I foolishly sprayed my hull of HMS Zulu with Halfords Grey primer which (in partial answer to your question) is darker than Polar Grey - unfortunately its a lot darker!
If you want variation then I would suggest using pre-shading and highlighting spray techniques a used by aircraft scale modellers.  Provided you decant the rattle can to an airbrush so you can use light coats that would allow any pre-shading to show through.  An alternative is to use colour washes as lowlights and of course apply weathering. Personally I like my warships 'tiddly' without rust streaks or weathering but I appreciate that some find that unrealistic in appearance. 
We are back to personal taste here.
« Last Edit: 24 January 2017, 09:44:57 by Troy Tempest »

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: 09 January 2017, 16:48:23 »
There is another method you could use and that is to have a chat with your local body repair shop/Garage.  They mix all the vehicle colours and they have all the paint matching tabs. (these are matching colour tabs) with every colour in the motor trade.  You could ask them to have a look at the Polar grey and they can make it darker or lighter by mixing to match the shade you want.   They have to do this to match faded paint work on older cars.  A good painter is able to do this.  Also the paint is now Acrylic and is water based to match your primer.  They can mix small or large quantities.  As I have a large hull to paint this is the way I am going. 

Offline cabinboy

• Petty Officer
« Reply #4 on: 21 January 2017, 18:03:52 »
from cabinboy.. I am working on a Deans Marine   And Ron Dean adviced me to HALFORDS FORD  polar grey .

Offline minerva

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 23 January 2017, 09:24:58 »
Hi Guys,
 Sorry I've been away from the forum these past few weeks
due to a family bereavement. I can confirm that I use Halfords
Ford Polar grey for my post WW2 hulls. I first prime with Halfords grey primer.
In fact my whole hullo on a post war RN warship is all Halfords  spray paint.
Red primer for the anti fouling, matt black for the boot topping and ford Polar grey for the
weather works.

Norm Hill

« Reply #6 on: 25 January 2017, 00:08:10 »
The correct colour for Royal Navy Warship topsides is.......bs381c LIGHT WEATHERWORK GREY gloss/semi & matt finish
This can be mixed by any car repair shop with a mixing system for about £10.00 per can. Also available via e-bay slightly cheaper.

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: 30 January 2017, 20:20:52 »
The colour code for most ship upto 1947 was 507b medium gray with the deck (metal) 507a.  Some of the destroyer fleet had a mixture of 507b with 507c and white.  But all changed after the war to 507c

Offline Railbob

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #8 on: 18 November 2020, 21:17:01 »
Hi, just found this thread and I thought I would let you know that you can go to any B&Q Valspar paint desk and get a colour match for Ford Polar Grey. A 1 litre tin of wood and metal satin costs about £21 and should see you through probably most of your life  ::DD. It's water based and fully sprayable. If you are wanting some just ask for Royal Navy Grey Narn 22 as it is saved on the computer .

Offline Pegasus

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 20 November 2020, 16:30:26 »
Paul right with his paint although after the war the Royal Navy used MS4a Home Fleet Grey for all ships this paint was a shade lighter than 507c.Your Hms Fencer is excellent and I prefer your camouflage to the actual carried during the Artic convoys and the strikes against the Tirpitz. During her time with the BPF when the was painted with a dark grey hull and light olive upper works.