Author Topic: HMS Illustrious.  (Read 363537 times)

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
HMS Illustrious.
« on: 23 August 2013, 13:23:58 »
I have just about finished the build of HMS Solebay and have been looking at two new builds.  The long term one is HMS Illustrious from 1942 to 1950.   I have been looking around for information and I do not seem to be able to get hold of ship plans with out paying an arm and a leg.   Has any one done the same and have a set of plans that I could use to help me build her.   I believe there is also a book on HMS Illustrious does any one know the book code number for her.

Offline andy

• Warrant Officer
Re: HMS Illustrious.
« Reply #1 on: 23 August 2013, 14:41:45 »
There is a series of books called "Anatomy of the Ship" and they have a book on the HMS Victorious. You may want to take a look at.

Andy

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: 23 August 2013, 14:44:37 »
Hi Paul
Talk about jumping in with both feet, If you are sticking to 1:96 scale have you thought about the size of her roughly 7. 3/4 feet long and about 1 foot beam, hope you do mate, will watch with interest.
« Last Edit: 23 August 2013, 15:08:47 by radio joe »

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: 23 August 2013, 17:28:57 »
Yes Joe, I have seen the size a club member is building HMS Illustrious the last one with the left ramp on the bow.  He has been working on it on and off for 5 years.   I want a long project along with a short one like the Hospital ship Stolaf.  So I have started to look for hulls or plans.   I might even build my own hull if I can get the correct plans.   The Deans Marine have a hull which is not accurate below the water line but its not too far out.   So once I have a set of plans and see what the difference is I will by the Hull and then use the list of parts Deans have got that would suit this ship.  I spoke with Deans this afternoon about her and I quite like the price.   They do not have one in stock they will need to make one, it will take about a week.   The size is large and will require some thinking on transporting.  I have heard that a member of this forum has build one and cut it in half and bolts it together at the water.   I hear he along with others may be at the Deans Open day.  So may be I should drive down and see.

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: 23 August 2013, 17:49:46 »
Sounds like a great project Paul more power to you hope you find all the "bits" for the build.  Joe

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: 24 August 2013, 11:31:45 »
There is a series of books called "Anatomy of the Ship" and they have a book on the HMS Victorious. You may want to take a look at.

Andy
Hi Andy,  Yes I am looking out for one but the cost seems to be around ?50.00 plus and a new one in the hundreds.  So I am looking out for an Ebook or a really low price second hand book.   But the plans would be the best then I have some think to compare with and measure.

Offline rondean

• First Sea Lord
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: 24 August 2013, 15:03:28 »
Bob says he will try to be at the show on the Sunday with the model for you to look at, and you can contact him through Deans Marine, they will give you his phone number.
some pics of his model for you passed on to us to put on the site
 hope this helps
 Regards
 Deans Marine

Offline rondean

• First Sea Lord
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: 24 August 2013, 15:04:33 »
and some more

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: 24 August 2013, 18:17:04 »
Thanks Ron,  I will try to arrange my weekends so that I can try to drive down or take the train.  Will let you know what I am doing.   The hull that was used on this model was it a Deans  mould? Paul

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: 24 August 2013, 18:28:08 »

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: 26 September 2013, 22:17:20 »
Well now that I have stopped work,(retired as of now to day was my last day) I can get down to planing my next build.  Off to the printers to see if the plans I got will print out to a full 1/96 scale for the ship.   Then finish off fitting the crew to HMS Solebay and put her in dry dock while I am away.  Once I know I have plans then the next step is to get the main parts of the build from Deans.   I still do not know if I want to try to build the hull from the sections or get a moulded hull.   Read so much about having to make adjustment for the section measurements from the plans that I will need to seek advise from some one who has done a hull from the plans and work with the sections. 

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: 26 September 2013, 22:51:05 »
Hi Paul, congratulations on your retirement, I hope you enjoy it as much as I do after 50 years working you can do what you want when you want, well with her in doors permission of course lol. . Joe

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: 29 September 2013, 18:54:20 »
Have now acquire a copy of the Aircraft Carriers of the world, 1914 to the present day by Rodger Chesneau.  Also got a book on Destroyers by Antony Preston.   Got them at the local charity shop, still hopping to find a copy of The Anatomy of Ships HMS Victorious.

Offline cabin boy

• Warrant Officer
  • Retired 67 years
« Reply #13 on: 29 September 2013, 19:31:34 »
Hi Paul Congrats on your retirement, a whole new adventure, with the time to enjoy it. Have a great time Regards Clive

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: 30 December 2013, 09:45:08 »
Well update on my new build for 2014.   Have a nice copy of the Anatomy of Ships HMS Victorious which will guide me on my new build.   Have been collecting die cast models of Spitfires for the flight deck.  The scale is 1/100 which is the next size I can get.   Have arranged with a UK company to supply me 20 at a price of ?4.99 each.   So some will have their wins cut and folded up for deck storage.  So with the 1/96 plans I only have to order the hull and the other items Deans ave for the build.  Hope every one had a great Xmas.  Paul