Author Topic: HMS Pakenham G06  (Read 3252 times)

Offline Smudger

• Able Seaman
HMS Pakenham G06
« on: 19 December 2017, 09:48:05 »
Hi My name is Ian - new to Rc Ship modeling, but not to modeling.
I in the process of carrying out research on my uncle's ship HMS Pakenham.
I have a DM plan HMS Onslow with fittings ( including 4.7" guns on it) etc - not too much detail on it though ( but that ok, it,s a start)
I have purchased a DM fibreglass hull and is a start.
The question I have is, Pakenham was fitted with 4" guns x5 ( 4 turrets with Gun shields / turrets)
These guns are very different in design to the 4.7".
I am trying to find out what design of gun shields she had on her - Not been able find any good pictures of her)
There seems to be various ones during WW2 - I have purchased the book Fighting Destroyer: Story of H.M.S. "Petard" HB G.G. Connell  - which had 4" gun turrets which are very different
to the others I have seen photo's of her and she has high turrets (for want of a better word).

Does any one have any ideas on what was fitted to her and any other useful info on her ( including camo colours which seen on one photo I have - I am trying to get this model exact in every way if I can - the model is for my mum's family ( their  brother was killed on her Stoker 1st Class Bernard William Frank Lunnon -  Scuttled off Sicily after surface action on 16 April 1943)
Thank you

Offline ship's doctor

• Lt-Commander
Re: HMS Pakenham G06
« Reply #1 on: 19 December 2017, 11:19:18 »
Hi Ian
I have also been researching the O&P class for a model.
The shields on the P class are a very unusual design, they are different shapes on each side which confused me for a while!
There are basic line drawings of the shields in the book 'destroyer weapons of ww2' by Hodges & Friedman (which discusses the class in some detail), well worth getting.
Had to put my building on hold due to work commitments but can send you what I have by email later. Good luck!
James

Offline Smudger

• Able Seaman
« Reply #2 on: 19 December 2017, 14:44:18 »
Thanks for the heads up on the book - will see what a can come up with.
I have got some feelers out on this subject and other details.
I will post these as and when I find info.
Good to see there are others looking at these ships - I do see many of them.
Thanks again.
Will post pic,s of build when I start.

Offline ship's doctor

• Lt-Commander
« Reply #3 on: 19 December 2017, 17:42:45 »
The other references I think are useful are the Ensign 6 O to Z class destroyers book (though mainly covers the O's, less on the P's), and the profile morskie book for HMS Onslow which would be similar to Pakenham (shapes of deckhouses etc.)

There is a discussion on the sinking of Pakenham here http://www.worldnavalships.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2456&highlight=HMS+Pakenham
- with an excellent photo of pathfinder which would be useful for model building. You need to register to see the images. This actually mentions Bernard Lunnon so you may have seen it/contributed to it already!

Very difficult to comment on the camouflage colours - the multi- coloured profile looks like a one off design ? - though there are experts out there! One of the photos on google search shows dark hull/light upperworks which would probably be the mediterranean grey and home fleet grey, or variants of, depending on the year the photo was taken (several of the O's eg. Oribi and Onslow were painted in this from 1941-42).   

The plans I have from Deans/Profile Morskie are OK but I'm stuck on some of the details not shown - in particular the positioning of the propeller shafts/A frames which are not shown in cross section on any plans I have seen. I was thinking I might need to order copies of the plans from the Maritime museum in Greenwich but this is expensive so quite a commitment!