Author Topic: Hms Manxman build  (Read 3587 times)

Offline pokherman

• Petty Officer
Hms Manxman build
« on: 20 February 2019, 20:01:32 »
Hello guys.. Thought id start the build of my new project.. Hams Manxman..

Sorted out my work benches and moved the biking gear out the way.. Cleared and found all my modelling tools and organised the kit out to see what was where, and most importent what I needed..

Any way, on with the build..
I actually started the build yesterday afternoon, during that time I cleaned the hull to remove all the left over wax that could be there with a few wipe downs with Meth spirit and a very fine scotch brite pad. Had to file the front escape hatches and recess with the Dremel again as the molding was a bit poor in this area, and is to be expected in such small areas, turned out really well, after checking the hull over and cleaning a few little blemishes up, I sanded down the top edges to the top of the plates on the hull. marked off a 2mm line by making a little jigg up and running it along the top edge, I think it will be ok, Also I cut out the deck supports, The instructions say this is Plywood,, but the kit suplies the thicker plastic sheet to use. Im tempted to use the plywood but i think that , by the time all the cross members and struts are in place the plastic one will be fine.

Then, All of today was spent on fitting the prop shafts in place... Blimey! what a job lol...

Trying to make sure the shafts are at the right angle and alignment was a right old bish bash of a job.. Im sure there are easier ways of doing it but I got there in the end.. I used P38 to fix in place...I need a bit more practice with this stuff i think..lol.. not the neatest job but i think it will work.

Ian

Offline pokherman

• Petty Officer
Re: Hms Manxman build
« Reply #1 on: 26 February 2019, 18:38:00 »
Hi..
Thought Id fill you in on what ive been doing on the build to date..
Well not to much really.. had some awkward start times for work so didnt get much of a chance to get back to the bench really...

But.. since the last thread, I have sanded smooth the exit points of the prop shafts, And since then I have cut out the decking and have been sanding it to size and shape for a good fit. Im still wondering what and how Im going to get the front and rear guns moving yet, so Im trying to find some info on how this is done ( any helpful pointers would be greatly apphreciated )

And this is as far as i have got. Cause i cant glue the deck down without sorting that. So while im searching for info im going to start on the top half of the boat tomorrow. maybe have a go at building the guns.
Ian

Offline Krisptrs

• Able Seaman
« Reply #2 on: 26 April 2019, 16:47:50 »
Enjoy,
I've just finished her and put her in the water for the first time last Sunday. She was a joy to build and sails superbly
I hope you get as much enjoyment as I did.
Krisptrs

Offline Tjorven

• Lieutenant
  • Building HMS Cossack
« Reply #3 on: 26 April 2019, 20:46:46 »