Author Topic: HMS Inflexible  (Read 320945 times)

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
Re: HMS Inflexible
« Reply #15 on: 06 October 2009, 18:17:44 »
Hi Robin, yes i am using the one from Action.

read this PDF " http://www.action-electronics.co.uk/pdfs/P94.pdf "

this speed controller is fully proportional, not only on the throttle but also on the rudder, with out any throttle, and move the rudder a little then one motor turns slowly forward and the other turns slowly Astern, the motors speed up the more rudder you give, and of course if you throttle forward a little or a lot, this will alter the speed of the motors accordingly.

i am using Mode 3, with the variable resistor set to about 50-70%

because of the size of the Ship it will not turn on its Axis, then again i did have a lot of Prop wash, probably when there is enough Ballast in the Ship and the Props are fully submerged so they don't such Air, then it will probably be a lot better.

i can also play with the variable resistor and set the percentage Higher or Lower, I'll have to ask Dave at Action and see what he thinks..

Offline karlgalster

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: 07 October 2009, 15:12:49 »
Hi Colin
You are using the more recent Action P94 combined mixer dual ESC product which can be configured to suit you requirements. This unit was not available when I built my model  - I used the earlier P40C mixer with two stand alone Action controllers. The P40c has no configurability except two dual-in-line switches to reverse motor commands and behaves as I described - i.e full power on the motors to spin the boat when applying full helm but just a smidgin of throttle. I would advise anybody else reading this to buy the P94 unit as it is much better than the earlier product.

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: 19 October 2009, 19:20:13 »
here we go with a little detail;

just a little bit of Micro Flat from the firm Slaters, at a size of 0,010" x 0,040" (inches)
that would be about 0.2mm x 1mm

these photos are of the Chart House on top of the bridge

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: 08 November 2009, 16:04:07 »
heres a couple of more photo's

most of the plastic has now been glued together now its time to sand all the joint smooth and start on the fine detail..

a little detail can be seen on the charthouse and on the Signals Office, all of this detail has been made by Microstrips from slaters.

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: 29 November 2009, 15:25:07 »
i have now had time to compleat one of the Turrets.

the Stanchion are from RB Fittings, and the rungs are from Albion Alloys.

Stanchion: http://www.deansmarine.co.uk/shop/product_info.php/cPath/1_2/products_id/731
Rungs: http://www.deansmarine.co.uk/shop/product_info.php/cPath/51_89/products_id/2577
(also available in 1 meter lengths)

the wing nuts that can be seen in the close up photo, have been made out of etched Stanchion, with the top of the railings eye cut off, i think this has the recommended effect.
« Last Edit: 09 December 2010, 11:15:05 by colin »

Offline karlgalster

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: 29 November 2009, 18:26:44 »
Very effective Colin. Coming on well.
Robin

Offline Mark

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: 29 November 2009, 20:07:19 »
Superb!

Mark

Offline Belgium Crazy Team

• Lt-Commander
« Reply #22 on: 30 November 2009, 06:29:35 »
magnificent!

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: 30 November 2009, 19:35:34 »
thanks guys...  ^^^

today i have changed the Railing rungs to 0.2mm thickness, the 0.33mm that i had on the turret looked to thick for me...  :o

http://www.deansmarine.co.uk/shop/product_info.php/cPath/51_89/products_id/2577

now the railings look a lot better...

Offline karlgalster

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: 01 December 2009, 18:06:40 »
Colin, 0.2 mm diameter rod looks a useful material. I see from your link it is nickel silver. I have no experience of using this material. How rigid is it and how easy is it to bend it? Can you solder it with a "normal" soldering iron or does it have to be silver soldered? All questions I know but I am sure many on here would be interested in using this material.
Robin

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: 01 December 2009, 19:40:38 »
Hi Robin,
at a scale of 1:96 you need the thinest stuff you can get hold of to make scale railing, i have used overhead wire from the railway firms before now, but you can only get that in 200mm lengths.
last year i was introduced to this Nickel Silver from Albion Alloys, and it can be obtained in 1 Meter lengths which is very handy for railings.
i think i would say at this thickness its about the same as Brass Rod, very flexible, i did not have to bend it at all for the Turret, it just followed the contors of the Stanchions, for the rest of the railings of the main superstructure i will have to bend it, and yes it bend very well, just about 90° angle with no curve in the corner.
i have not soldered it yet, the railing on the turret have only been tacked in place with a needle pin size drop of supper glue on the first and last stanchion, the paint work will hold the rest in place.

again i would say at this thickness it reacts about the same as Brass but more Flexible and holds its form until a good pressure is applied.
sometime if you just touch brass rod at 0.2mm it bends and stays that way, this Nickel Silver does not.

Offline Belgium Crazy Team

• Lt-Commander
« Reply #26 on: 02 December 2009, 06:30:29 »
Colin,

For some purposes I use transformer wire (0.13mm thick)
An example of the stuff:
http://www.made-in-china.com/showroom/suntekwire/product-detailPeqnmEgGFzhp/China-Polyurethane-Enamlled-Wire-for-Network-Transformer-QPN-0UEW-Y-.html

This I use to make steel cables.  You add 3 pieces of wire and twist it, so it looks as a steel cable.
I will see that i have an example of that on a deans kit.

Kurt

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: 03 December 2009, 16:37:55 »
i use those sort of wire for my lighting.... as can be seen in the attached photo... plus the micro LED's

the NiSi 0,2mm is very good for railings, it has the strength and flexibility of steel rod, with a bit of suppleness of Brass wire..

it would be very good for making whip aerials, it does not deform if slightly touched unlike brass rod would..

Offline Mark

• Captain
« Reply #28 on: 13 December 2009, 10:31:51 »
I like this idea, so I have bought myself a reel (1000M) of ebay for £6.85, should come in handy for the latest project.

Mark

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: 13 December 2009, 14:16:14 »
@ Mark, the wires are coated transformer wires so there is no chance of a short, you can even lay on the out side of the mast in some scales..

so here we go with a little more details for the turrets, i have made some canvas crates that sit on top of the turrets according to the photo's that i have.

the crates were made out of 1 x 0.2 mm plastic strips from slaters