Author Topic: HMS Bramble build  (Read 157033 times)

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
HMS Bramble build
« on: 12 March 2013, 13:34:49 »
Hi .Well I've taken the next step and ordered my second kit from Deans, I have chosen HMS Bramble after a lot of thought and, like a lot of the members of this forum, I like to research the ship I am going to build, me and the wife were walking at Southsea ramparts in Portsmouth and came across the Algerine class memorial and I thought then not as glamorous as the big cruisers and destroyers but non the less very important little ships and given the task that most of them had to perform during the war I find it incredible that out of 111 built 105 survived the war years,(admittedly some were damaged) and were broken up in the fifty's and sixty's with two lasting till the seventy's.
So now looking forward to delivery of the kit and I intend to use the lessons I learnt during my solebay build to hopefully put in even more detail into bramble and firstly I want to try my hand at fitting exposed shafts with a- frame bearings, I seen some in the forum and they do look the business. anyway more to come when she arrives. ^^^

Offline mikearace

• Captain
Re: HMS Bramble build
« Reply #1 on: 12 March 2013, 15:44:48 »
well good luck with the build Joe.  Have fancied an Algerine for a while and keep toying either with a Type 14 frigate or an Algerine but have two non Deans builds just started so it will be a while before I get there. 

There are so any variations and names and histories of ships of this class to give neverending options.  My father was on Mariner which started off as an HMCS then became HMS and then went to Burma and was in service until 1982 which is a pretty long and varied career.   G Sitek may be able to help with the exposd shafts although he is semi retired these days and is hard to get hold of alternitively try Model Boat Bits which also do them.

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: 12 March 2013, 15:56:32 »
Thanks mike, yes an interesting class of ship, I had not realised that Mariner survived till the eighty's I missed that one, and thanks for the info on the shafts.

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: 12 March 2013, 16:21:53 »
Hi Joe,

I will watch your build again and look forward to all those port holes you are going to cut (hehehe)  :grin1:  Paul

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: 12 March 2013, 16:30:03 »
Well Joe I know you have looked around and done your research but did you see these web site?

http://www.battleships-cruisers.co.uk/algerine_class.htm

http://gb-navy-ww2.narod.ru/HTM-MS-algerine.html

Paul

Offline ship's doctor

• Lt-Commander
« Reply #5 on: 12 March 2013, 16:41:49 »
Hi Joe,

Looking forward to this one- I've been doing a bit of reading about the Algerines recently for a potential model (which is my usual strategy when I'm frustrated with the current build... :) )

There is a pdf of the RCN modified design on the Historic Naval Ships Assoc. website. There are also good drawings of the sweep gear in the flower class 'anatomy of the ship', and discussion of how the gear worked.

Hope this is of help,

James

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: 12 March 2013, 18:27:20 »
i would to be closely watching this one..  :)  ^^^

Mike mentioned exposed shafts.... Raboesch do some as well... 2, 3 and 4 mm shafts
http://www.deansmarine.co.uk/shop/product_info.php/cPath/35_46/products_id/1142

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: 12 March 2013, 18:43:40 »
Hi Paul,  I have seen the first website but not the second, and have to say it is invaluable to all of us model ship builders so thanks for that,
and thanks James and Colin yes any help from you guys is always a help and always appreciated.
I 've got the batteries a pair of 2200mah nimh 7.2 and a graupner navy 15 esc that should fit the bill, and a saturn Rx, I tend to use the same transmitter for several models and being 2.4GHz makes it easy.as for the rest ie. motors, servos, couplings, props and upgrade shafts, I have a birthday next mouth and family have been asking what to get, well you get the idea.

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: 12 March 2013, 21:09:50 »
I see so that is how you do it, take the good lady for a walk show her the sights plant the seed and wait for the light bulb.  Then you drop the idea just a few weeks before a birthday and see what pops up.   Not a bad idea.  Will have to try that one but do not fancy a cruise on a Hospital boat in October.   But I could ask Ron for a camp pitch in his back yard and do some guard duty to get a nice price for that nice Hospital ship. ???

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: 12 March 2013, 21:18:06 »
curses you've worked out my evil plan LOL.

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: 13 March 2013, 19:05:20 »
Wow Deans don't hang around do they, the kit was ordered Monday evening and came this morning (Wednesday), so well done to them,
on opening the kit it all looked familiar and not so daunting as my first kit Solebay but I can see it will still be challenging enough to make it an enjoyable build. I intend to take my time with this one, not that I rushed solebay but I did finish her quicker than I had thought.
Checked the kit and everything seems to be present and correct, I'll now spend a couple of days studying the kit and plans and then make a start on preparing the hull.
« Last Edit: 13 March 2013, 19:09:01 by radio joe »

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: 13 March 2013, 22:40:38 »
Enjoy and I will watch your every move, lots of photos of the build with all the tricks of the trade now my lad.  Need to see how and why this time.  Paul

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: 15 March 2013, 15:40:48 »
On studying the plans one of the first things I noted was that she has a deeper draught than solebay and the shafts and motors are well under the water line,so if standard shafts were used you would have to rely on a plug of shaft grease to stop water ingress, yes I know this dose work but I feel would need constant maintenance, so have decided to use waterproof shafts, and Raboesch shaft kits would seem fit the bill, at around 60 pounds for the pair quite expensive but would give peace of mind.
I have checked out model boat bits shafts and feel that the a-frame is simply too big for a 1:96 the leg width is 15mm and the bearing is 20mm I suppose you could trim some of the legs away or even get one and cut it in half, but when you compere it to the little a-frames in the kit I think they would still look too big, plus their shafts are not waterproof, I shall ponder on this while sanding off the top of the hull.

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: 15 March 2013, 15:57:42 »
have you thought about what size of shaft to use..??

the 'A' frames in the kit might be able to be drilled out, and a nylon bearing inserted..!! if you were to use the 2mm shafts...
theres some nice 2mm props... that go up to 25mm diameter... its just a thought...!!

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: 15 March 2013, 16:38:23 »
Hi Collin,  The a-frames in the kit just have a half cup on them that bonds to the shaft tube, and I want to use open shafts the raboesch you suggested a few days ago would seem to be the way to go and maybe a smaller dia. shaft would indeed look closer to scale, a 2mm would equate to a 6" shaft, so perhaps I may go for the middle ground and get a 3mm with a 25mm prop, yes some thing to think about thanks.