Author Topic: Z37  (Read 92005 times)

Offline karlgalster

• Captain
Re: Z37
« Reply #30 on: 28 March 2009, 12:41:51 »
A bit more progress on the Z37. All three single 15cm gun shields and the dual 15cm turret  were scratch built ( kit vacuum moulded version is OK but I wanted something closer to the actual design). All built from drawings and photos. 0.25mm, 0.5mm and 0.75mm styrene used. The gun barrels are the kit items with a "bellows" added as this is what most photos show. I say "bellows" but I am sure this is not the correct term - perhaps someone knows? I used super fine Milliput for the bellows. This is excellent once hard as it can be carved, filed and sanded to the shape required - whilst wet I found it was impossible to shape as required so a large blob was applied where the bellows was needed for shaping later. Photos below show the gun shields warts and all - they will look better once painted, trust me.
Robin

Offline karlgalster

• Captain
« Reply #31 on: 28 March 2009, 12:44:10 »
and some more...

Offline Belgium Crazy Team

• Lt-Commander
« Reply #32 on: 28 March 2009, 20:03:51 »
Very nice....
That gives indeed a nice addition to the kit...
Kurt

Offline hotjava

• Lt-Commander
  • I like to build things
« Reply #33 on: 29 March 2009, 02:55:48 »
Hi Robin,

Wow!  Those turrets look perfect!  I love zooming in and seeing all your details!  Thank you for sharing.
I know it takes considerable time to build, take photos and write.

Oliver

Offline karlgalster

• Captain
« Reply #34 on: 29 March 2009, 16:45:08 »
Hi Oliver, the writing and photos don't take up much time compared to the building. Sometimes I end a three to four hour session and am amazed how little I have to show for it. Those turrets took an awful long time. I have finished the two funnels now - they took even longer - but more on that later.
Robin

Offline karlgalster

• Captain
« Reply #35 on: 04 April 2009, 12:12:42 »
Hi all,
A bit more progress on the Z37. Both funnels have been made and the torpedo tubes. The funnels use the kit vacuum moulded funnel halves but with styrene plates added top and bottom to provide firm bases and a flat support for the funnel caps. The funnel caps are scratch built. The kit caps are OK but there is a problem. The Z37 is a 1936A (mob) destroyer which I believe are the most elegant of the German destroyer types. The kit forward funnel cap is most definately not representative of the 1936A (mod) design. The kit cap is much more like the earlier 1936A type (e.g Z25, Z26) which are lower and more angular. I suspect I am in danger of coming across as a bit of a rivet counting anourack - but never mind. My funnel caps are made of multiple layers of 2mm stryrene carved and sanded and hollowed out on the inside. The rails around the funnels are made up of 29 swg tinned copper wire (0.035mm) and built up on the funnel. This wire is excellent and has remarkable flexibility qualities after soldering without breaking the joint.

The TTs are scratch built apart from the tubes themselves and the tube doors. Had to guess at the components on the tubes as my photos/drawings are not detailed enough.

Once again items will look a whole lot better when painted.

Robin

Offline karlgalster

• Captain
« Reply #36 on: 04 April 2009, 12:14:06 »
And torpedo tubes....
« Last Edit: 04 April 2009, 12:15:12 by karlgalster »

Offline hotjava

• Lt-Commander
  • I like to build things
« Reply #37 on: 04 April 2009, 15:05:17 »
Excellent Robin!

• Lt-Commander
« Reply #38 on: 06 April 2009, 06:53:02 »
superb...

Offline karlgalster

• Captain
« Reply #39 on: 28 April 2009, 16:33:55 »
Getting near the end of construction of Z37 but have a question that perhaps can be answered. The Z37 has many of the standard German WWII square life rafts attached in places where they could easily be released or float free in the event of a sinking. What colour should they be painted? The information I have is conflicting. Yellow would be a logical choice and I have seen a model by Markus van Beek with yellowish rafts. Photos I have are in black and white so not very helpful except where the ship is in dazzle paint the rafts are painted in the same pattern/colour. Any ideas? I attach a photo showing roughly where I am - the clipper "Atlantic" bow looks a bit exaggerated but I bottled out of carving up Deans Marine's hull to alter it!!!

• Lt-Commander
« Reply #40 on: 29 April 2009, 06:52:12 »
Well done!
If you're going to apply dazzle paint, then the life rafts and auxilary boats often follow the pattern.

On allied ships the life rafts don't have a specific color, most of the time the color of the superstructure is used (light or dark grey)

Kurt

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #41 on: 29 April 2009, 07:02:05 »
I'll ask my German friend who is Building the Z6 scratch, he might know, and then I'll get back to you.. Hopfully tonight..

your Z37 is coming on nicely, hope to see it at the Openday in September..

Offline Mark

• Captain
« Reply #42 on: 29 April 2009, 16:00:07 »
I think that sounds like an order from the Admiral!  ;D

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #43 on: 29 April 2009, 19:58:48 »
There is a book called Paintwork of German Warships
ISBN 3-7637-5964-6
Anstriche der Deutsche Kriegsmarine

the colour stated for the liferafts is : RAL 1003 which is a yellowy colour

hope that helps

Offline hotjava

• Lt-Commander
  • I like to build things
« Reply #44 on: 30 April 2009, 06:29:25 »
Robin,

Very nice!  You're building really quick!

Oliver