Author Topic: Maersk Anglia  (Read 136277 times)

Offline Dennis

• Captain
Maersk Anglia
« on: 09 February 2013, 22:54:16 »
Hey everyone, I have begun my next build, another ferry!!! The maersk Anglia. I have so far install the shafts and rudders. The rudders are made up of two parts with the leading edge staying in a fix position. Have also installed a bow thruster aswell.

Offline Dennis

• Captain
Re: Maersk Anglia
« Reply #1 on: 09 February 2013, 23:18:10 »
Here are some pics of the electronics and motor set up. I install a mixer from action with seperate speed controlers for each of  the motors. I also build a shelf aft of the motors to house the servos, one for the rudders and the rest will be for micro swiths to operate lights, sound, and so forth. After a trial run at the pool I was amazed at how maneuverble the model was using the mixer. :)

Offline Dennis

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 09 February 2013, 23:20:51 »
A few more pics of the electics....

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: 10 February 2013, 12:21:07 »
Very neat work Dennis, I'm following your build with interest.

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: 10 February 2013, 12:35:41 »
Looking good, Like the power distributor your using there, any details on it?  Paul

Offline swiftdoc

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 10 February 2013, 16:26:59 »
Hi Dennis, your build looks great to me.  ^^^What material did you choose for the motor mounts?

Regards - Arno

Offline Dennis

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 10 February 2013, 16:39:35 »
Thanks, the power distibutor is what I use in most of my ships. It allows me to run everthing from a single 12 volt batt. It has two 12 volt, two 6 volt, a single 5 volt for the reciever, and two 3 volt. I get these from harbor models http://www.harbormodels.com/ I use one of the 6 volts for the motors and bow thrustor all run from a parrel fuse holder. The 5 volt for the reciever, the 12 volt and additional 6 volt and two 3 volts are use for sound and lights wired to micro swicths. I trip the switchs using servos. The power distributor comes ready to install. The only thing I do is relocate the battery wires to the side of the housing so it gives me more room. That is done by simply drilling a hole and pushing the wires through. I have used these with no problem at all. Not to mention it gives me alot more running time. I have run my boats as long as 4 hours strait with lights running and sound and still had plenty of power in the battery at the end of the day. Keep in mind though I use led lighting that draws way less current than the standard 3 volt grain bulb lights. It also reduces all the many wire that you would have such as serparate batt packs and so forth. http://www.harbormodels.com/site08/main_pages/power_distribution_panel.htm

Offline Dennis

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 10 February 2013, 16:47:48 »
Hey Arno, For the motor mounts I used acrylic sheet. I always have that stuff laying around and its easy to work with. I cut it down on the table saw and then us the sanding machine to finish it. Just have to be careful not to get it to hot when sanding and drilling. Like platsic it will clog up a drill bit fast if you get it to hot. The thickness I used was 1/4" - 6mm. This material is very strong. I get it in sheets from a building supply store.

Offline swiftdoc

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 10 February 2013, 17:10:22 »
Hi Dennis,

I use wood strenthened with glass fibre mesh and epoxy. It is very strong but I must confess the result does not look as neat as yours!

Regards - Arno

Offline Dennis

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 11 February 2013, 04:31:20 »
I know what you mean. I use to put fiber glass on everything and in the end would go back a fill the weave of the cloth with fillers, primers and paint. By the time I got it to where it look good it then became a weight issue. With acrylic its much cleaner and it takes to paint and adhisive well.

Offline Dennis

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 16 February 2013, 15:22:02 »
Started fitting the decks and making the hatchs. I decieded to drill out small pockets around the edge of the hatch  to set small magnets in. I did this on the last boat and it held them in place with no problem. I also left the boat deck as one solid deck instead of removing the center. It will be a good place for installing the speaker for the sound module.

Offline Dennis

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 16 February 2013, 15:27:11 »
Also while waiting for the brass to come in for the window trim I started on the hawse pipes for the bow deck. I made these out of brass and started to get a little primer on them. They still need a little sanding but there starting to take shape.

Offline Dennis

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: 23 February 2013, 00:58:21 »
Hello everyone, finnally finished the hawse pipes on the bow deck and started on the funnels on the aft deck. Here are a few pics of what has been done so far. The funnels where quit a challenge with all the different angles but I think they turn out ok. Got them in the first coat of primer.

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: 23 February 2013, 13:45:15 »
look OK to me Dennis...   ^^^  ^^^

Offline swiftdoc

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: 24 February 2013, 07:43:32 »
looks great - I like the funnels :)