Author Topic: HMS Cossack  (Read 35217 times)

Offline Tjorven

• Lieutenant
  • Building HMS Cossack
Re: HMS Cossack
« Reply #45 on: 03 January 2019, 20:54:46 »
@Ron: am working with the sheets you mailed me, so far they look very good.

@all out here: I got a problem getting 2 pieces of brass etched railing together. I tried soldering (but I have to admit my cheap-ass soldering pen only has a large pen so that might be the issue) and tried using cyano (but that didn't worked at all).
I tried to put short pieces of the railings onto a standing post (if you understand what I mean).
Or should I overlap the railings and sand them down a little bit? I have been testing on 2 pieces of scrap, but I don't want to ruin too much of it since I have  a limitted supply.

New pictures will follow shortly.

Offline rondean

• First Sea Lord
  • Admiral
« Reply #46 on: 04 January 2019, 08:43:41 »
@Ron: am working with the sheets you mailed me, so far they look very good.

@all out here: I got a problem getting 2 pieces of brass etched railing together. I tried soldering (but I have to admit my cheap-ass soldering pen only has a large pen so that might be the issue) and tried using cyano (but that didn't worked at all).
I tried to put short pieces of the railings onto a standing post (if you understand what I mean).
Or should I overlap the railings and sand them down a little bit? I have been testing on 2 pieces of scrap, but I don't want to ruin too much of it since I have  a limitted supply.

New pictures will follow shortly.

Hi
 When i want to join stanchions make the join at stanchion post, the other end the three rails, join them just behind the post with a slight overlap, the secet of a good join is CLEAN, make sure the brass at the joint is bright and clean with fine sandpaper, then tin with flux or use solder paint.
 a few pics of the rebuild I am on over Xmas break

Offline Tjorven

• Lieutenant
  • Building HMS Cossack
« Reply #47 on: 04 January 2019, 15:56:36 »
thanks Ron, I will try this weekend again.

Offline Tjorven

• Lieutenant
  • Building HMS Cossack
« Reply #48 on: 22 January 2019, 18:27:25 »
So after a long silence, here is the work I have done since last time:

The aft superstructure is partially done, I still need to do the E-conning but for that I am looking for some more info, or manual or guide since I have nothing on that part so far. I assume it is supposed to have wooden planking as floor, but any more information is welcome.

I have also finished the platform for the quadruple vickers cannons, complete with railing.

Last I have made the aft chimney with all details. Only thing left to do is to fix the ladder between the AA platform and the platform on the chimney, once I have made the platform on which it all will sit.

Offline Charles Hart

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #49 on: 24 January 2019, 09:20:27 »
Coming along very nicely!

Offline mikearace

• Captain
« Reply #50 on: 29 January 2019, 12:41:26 »
Nice work

Offline Tjorven

• Lieutenant
  • Building HMS Cossack
« Reply #51 on: 13 March 2019, 20:25:19 »
And a further update on my boat,

last month I have been designing the guns that will go on, as the kits delivered ones are, well, moulded parts and it didn't came together all to well.

So here are some renderings, based on the Norman Ough plans and photographs founds on the internet.

Also I am looking for any info on the depth charge delivery mechanism at the stern. It's hard to believe it's not in a rack but I cannot find any specific info other then it was a small rack and I find different numbers (1 rack with 2 throwers, another website is saying 2 racks 2 throwers).

Any specific info on the rack (or maybe even a plan) would be much appreciated.

**pictures will follow shortly, as the rendering is taking some extra time**

Offline Tjorven

• Lieutenant
  • Building HMS Cossack
« Reply #52 on: 17 March 2019, 20:09:02 »
As promised some pictures:

Offline Tjorven

• Lieutenant
  • Building HMS Cossack
« Reply #53 on: 14 April 2019, 19:26:05 »
So a little update, no pictures as off yet.

Been at a test-run 3 weeks ago at a local club, and it was good. Batteries ran out quickly and the steering servo broke down but all in all, it was a watertight hull and she kept floating.

Ordered a new servo and new batteries. 4500mAh lead batteries instead of 2000mAh NiMh.

Today I had a new testrun with a manouvrability contest and she handled beautifully. Didn't have to change the battery at all after 3 hours of sailing.
Also ran her at full speed. Handled like a beauty. Only had some water intake by the greasing pins on the propeller rods, so I'll have to change the lubricant I am using. I was using silicone oil but will have a test next gathering with roll bearing grease (as most of them are using that there).

On the build itself I'm currently in the cleaning of all bits and pieces. And will be doing that for some while as it are many.

I will post some pictures as soon as I can.

Offline Tjorven

• Lieutenant
  • Building HMS Cossack
« Reply #54 on: 27 May 2019, 21:27:28 »
Another update:

Fixed the decks to the hull this weekend and trimmed it all. still some gaps to fill but I mounted everything I allready have on it for a picture.

You can see also some parts in a grey primer coat.

Armament added losely are the quad pom-pom, 2x quad vickers and the qaudruple torpedo launcher. All are 3D printed. Same as the DC tower.

Still alot of work to do but I'm getting there. Next on the list are the anchor holes up front.

Offline Charles Hart

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #55 on: 28 May 2019, 10:44:06 »
Looking very nice!

Offline Tjorven

• Lieutenant
  • Building HMS Cossack
« Reply #56 on: 02 June 2019, 19:53:33 »
Thanks.

I have a problem with fixing the masts together. The soldering isn't working and need advice/tips/... anything that can help me.

I am using a Weller WSM-1C soldering station, and standard solder tin with a resin core.
The soldering is just not bonding with the brass rods. I cleaned them, sanded them down a little bit but it just isn't bonding. Any advice is welcome.

Offline Charles Hart

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #57 on: 03 June 2019, 17:44:56 »
Hi Tjorven – I use a liquid flux (ALMT.com) which works very well with a proprietary solder – I use fine sandpaper to prepare the areas to be soldered – have attached some images.

Offline Charles Hart

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #58 on: 03 June 2019, 17:52:41 »
An image of my progress so far.

Offline Tjorven

• Lieutenant
  • Building HMS Cossack
« Reply #59 on: 26 June 2019, 18:55:13 »
So I have been doing some more soldering. Here are some pic's of the aft mast.