Author Topic: HMS M18  (Read 20415 times)

Offline ship's doctor

• Lt-Commander
HMS M18
« on: 01 June 2016, 20:41:23 »
New project - I picked up one of the new HMS M15 kits at the wicksteed show. I've decided on HMS M18, which was one of four sisters with the mark X 9.2 inch gun.
In the box you get a fibreglass hull with plating detail, laser cut plastic sheets, fittings tray, proptubes, plastic props, CD with lots of photos, instruction set, plan, brass wire and rigging thread.
I'm using the book 'big gun monitors' as a reference.
Started on the superstructure, went together in an afternoon - the laser cutting really speeds things up. The portholes are very sharp as they are all identical and in a perfect line. There was one fit issue with the plastic, which can be corrected with careful trimming, I think this a first run kit so I will let deans know if might be corrected. M18 has a slightly different bridge to M15, I've added on splinter shields to the bridge in 0.5mm scrap plastic.
I've also built the 6pdr Hotchkiss with a scratch built mount, and the 12pdr gun. These have some really good details.
Photos to follow!
James
« Last Edit: 01 June 2016, 21:01:14 by ship's doctor »

Offline ship's doctor

• Lt-Commander
Re: HMS M18
« Reply #1 on: 01 June 2016, 20:53:05 »
Photos...

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: 02 June 2016, 15:39:51 »
James, you little devil... you...  ;D
what's this, a break from the big one..  ::)
hope you enjoy...

Offline raflaunches

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 02 June 2016, 16:16:34 »
I must admit that I too fell to the charm of the monitors but went for the M33 as I like the splinter paint work!

Looking forward to building her, nice work so far James, and good to see you again at Wicksteed. Hope to see you in September for Rons open weekend. ^^^

Ian Armstrong

« Reply #4 on: 02 June 2016, 22:46:07 »
How do. It was nice to meet you at Wicksteed James. I finally bought the other M15 kit on Saturday and have started with the weapons. There was a miscast 6pounder gun in mine, but this is being rectified as we speak so that is good. The 12pounder is a lovely litle kit and looks the part in grey.

Once my Tug is repaired and a proper cradle made, I will make a proper start on my kit.

I wish you well with yours

Offline James59

• Able Seaman
« Reply #5 on: 03 June 2016, 20:44:07 »
Hi
I've just joined the Forum and I was having a mooch around and found you guys and Monitors.
I'm interested in the subject myself and have a copy of Ian Buxtons excellent "Big Gun Monitors" my interest comes from a superb article by Paul Freshney in Model Boats some years ago where he scratch built HMS M15 @ 1:48 (I think), I think you can still get the article from Model Boats and although its a larger scale the article has a lot of useful info and images that would help with enhanced detailing.
I have a copy of the article myself so if your struggling I'm sure we can arrange something.

James 59

Offline Ballastanksian

• Petty Officer
« Reply #6 on: 03 June 2016, 22:01:54 »
It looks a great kit so far. I assembled the 12pounder and it looks a treat. I see what you mean about the HA pedestal James. I fancy doing M19 with the 9.2inch MkVI as I have references to the interior from 'Naval Gun' by Hogg and Batchelor. I will build the MkX mounting just to help Ron out.

Sorry if you read two versions of this message chaps but I wrote one before I joined and it is probably awaiting moderation!

Offline Ballastanksian

• Petty Officer
« Reply #7 on: 05 June 2016, 20:52:34 »
Further to our discussions on this class of vessel, and seeing Jame's work on making the 6Pdr High Angle, I found this image online showing one serving as an AA gun in Belgium.

http://www.richardgilbert.ca/achart/public_html/articles/wwi/30nelles.html .

Ian:O)

Offline ship's doctor

• Lt-Commander
« Reply #8 on: 07 June 2016, 22:12:12 »
Thanks for the replies everyone, I will have to try to source a copy of the model boats article!

It's a good photo of the AA gun - hopefully mine is a reasonable representation! There are some photos online of the mount on HMS M33 which I think was similar.

Will try to get some more done this weekend - mainly tidying up & sanding the superstructure at the moment, which doesn't really show up in photos :)

Offline Ballastanksian

• Petty Officer
« Reply #9 on: 26 June 2016, 16:35:51 »
Oh yes indeed! How did you find the parts fit and dimentions on the superstructure?

TTFN.

Offline ship's doctor

• Lt-Commander
« Reply #10 on: 30 June 2016, 18:28:45 »
The height of two (I think) of the side pieces was incorrect, otherwise very good. The cross braces needed about 2mm trimming off them.

Bit of a busy time at work so not much modelling done ... only thing is I realised the modified bridge I scratch-built for M18 was wrong (didn't leave clearance for the mast to pass so not salvageable.  >:D ) So that's in the bin and another one built now  ;) 

Offline Ballastanksian

• Petty Officer
« Reply #11 on: 23 July 2016, 20:24:07 »
I know what you mean. I did that when building a destroyer bridge. I subsequently found a plan of the bridge and realised mine was tosh. Back to styrene square one.

I am trying to find info about bridge layouts as M19 (the one I am doing) has a wee trapesoid wheel house and bridge. Where did they put the map desk/table chart house/cubby (sic)??? on small bridges?

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: 24 July 2016, 13:55:31 »
Hi Ian, Interesting little ships the Monitors, I'll be watching your build of M19, but need photos you know I'm blind without them,  ::DD ::DD ;D

Joe.

Offline ship's doctor

• Lt-Commander
« Reply #13 on: 04 January 2018, 17:51:58 »
Some progress on HMS M18 - I hadn't realised how long I had left this topic!

Ian has discussed this build in a lot more detail for M19 here and on Model Boat Mayhem.   

Hull - fitted out with balsa along the edges/hardwood supports, kit supplied deck installed. Anchor tubes drilled through & plastic tube installed. Prop tubes as supplied in the kit, installed with epoxy/milliput, with an extra hardwood block drilled through to support the inner ends. Rudder scratch built from brass sheet as per plan in 'Big gun monitors'. Power supply - small 6V lead acid battery. Mtroniks 10 amp speed controller.

Superstructure:
- Bridge scratchbuilt as I messed it up the first time. Bridge fittings a mixture of scratch/kit supplied. Blast screens from milliput. Bridge roof from litho plate.
- Funnel: different size to M15 so replacement scratch built using tube (the plastic tube inside a till roll, scavenged at Deans workshops!). The cowl vents are deans fittings, extended with plastic tube to get the correct height & save weight, faired in with plastic putty.
- Boats: Kit built using the laser cut inserts which are great. Extra detail on the supports from plastic strip.

Main armament:
I turned a new barrel from brass based on the plans in 'Big Gun Monitors' and drawings/photos online. Detail from scrap plastic/ spare bomb from an airfix B5N2 'Kate' kit. The gun house is mainly from the laser cut parts supplied in the kit. This is heavy (about 30 grams total I think on the scales) but I have tried to save weight elsewhere - we shall see if it is a disaster on sea trials! Just wanted to improve my lathe skills really!   

Masts are brass tube, as supplied in the kit but modified to fit the plans of M18

Deck - white metal/resin from the kit & spares box.

Hope this is of interest! To be honest quite a lot of 'artistic licence' used this time...

James

Offline karlgalster

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: 06 January 2018, 11:08:00 »
Nice clean build. The turned barrel is superb, what lathe have you?
Robin