Author Topic: HMS Wild Goose conversion from Deans HMS Amethyst kit  (Read 20671 times)

Offline Horatio123

• Lt-Commander
HMS Wild Goose conversion from Deans HMS Amethyst kit
« on: 24 November 2014, 16:45:29 »
I was recently offered a part started Deans kit of HMS Amethyst by my local model shop who were selling it on behalf of a disenchanted ship builder who had purchased it as a first build and lost interest . Unfortunately the shafts had been fitted in the wrong place and moved needing a hull repair , several parts of the superstructure has been started but the glue used was not holding also the decks had been incorrectly cut . I have decided to restart the build from scratch and building as HMS Wild Goose circa 1943 . I have purchased plans by John Lambert for HMS Starling and obtained  photos and info off the web . There are quite a few differences from Amethyst as the kit depicts her after her refit with lattice mast etc .
   I have built the wooden stand and I have filled all badly drilled portholes and cleaned up the hull , fitted a paravane chain securing plate to the lower bow. , made up and fitted bilge keels and stabiliser mountings , running gear is being refitted , new deck beams and hull braces made up and fitted ,new quarter deck cut out ready for fitting .
    I am rebuilding the superstructure items from scratch , the B gun deck and bridge are different from Amethyst , the quarterdeck has a lot more fittings including two twin oerlikons ,extra depth charge haystacks and stowed depth charges . She also has a pole tripod mast and a lattice radar tower aft .
 I hope to post some photos of the build in due course .

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
Re: HMS Wild Goose conversion from Deans HMS Amethyst kit
« Reply #1 on: 24 November 2014, 18:57:11 »
Hi David, look forward to seeing this one,  I've heard you won't be at Action Stations this weekend, that's a pity I would have valued your opinion of HMS Enigma on her first exhibition, but I hope all is well with you.   :)

Offline Horatio123

• Lt-Commander
« Reply #2 on: 24 November 2014, 19:32:28 »
Hi Joe .
      Sorry I can't make exhibition but my wife is having a major operation on her spine on Thursday so I will be carer , head cook and bottle washer for a while . Modelling will be on back burner for a while !
       Hope FOC at Action a stations goes well . Look forward to see your HMS Enigma at next show .

Offline Horatio123

• Lt-Commander
« Reply #3 on: 02 December 2014, 15:55:28 »
Hi Folks .
      As I was posting photos from our SWA week end in Portsmouth I thought I would add a few on this blog of progress on my Wild Goose conversion .
      Photos show modified bridge , "A" gun deck  and other basic work so far , I still have to finish running gear set up  before fixing decks in place and filling and sanding ready for base paint .
      It is taking a while as I am scratchbuilding everything  superstructure wise .

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: 02 December 2014, 19:38:53 »
She's coming along nicely David, You've done more than I had imagined ^^^
Joe

Offline Horatio123

• Lt-Commander
« Reply #5 on: 02 December 2014, 19:49:54 »
Looks further on than it actually is , all pieces are just resting in place . Just sorting out electronics etc before fitting decks . Access to internals is very restricted once decks are on . Think I might have to make new x gun deck , trying to use othe original one but I am not happy with the fit , cutting out by previous owner is not that good .

Offline Horatio123

• Lt-Commander
« Reply #6 on: 20 January 2015, 10:51:32 »
At last I have managed to do some more work on Wild Goose . The decks and running gear are fitted and I am now working on the superstructure parts . I have only used the hull , main deck  and bofors deck from the kit so far ,all other parts being scratchbuilt due to differences in design or due to poor construction by the previous owner . The bridge is considerably different from Amethyst also the bow breakwater had to b e modified , a new platform for the twin bofors on the quarterdeck made up , the bottom of the hull has been painted with red primer and the modified bow with paravane plate is visible in the attached photo. Hopefully I will be able to post another update soon .

Offline Horatio123

• Lt-Commander
« Reply #7 on: 31 January 2015, 17:01:50 »
Hi Folks,
       As it has been to cold top go anywhere I have spent the last few days soldering up the bridge wing supports , carley float frames, the radar mast , gunnery director walkway and fitting up the funnel , Starting to look something like now , just need some decent weather so I can start spraying .

Offline Horatio123

• Lt-Commander
« Reply #8 on: 31 January 2015, 17:03:32 »
sorry missed out a photo !!!

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: 31 January 2015, 20:36:14 »
Looking very good David, some nice brass there, I know what you mean about the cold and damp my Type 42 is just about ready for priming but I'll be patient and wait for warmer weather :)

Offline Horatio123

• Lt-Commander
« Reply #10 on: 31 January 2015, 21:49:47 »
Thanks Joe , pleased to hear your type 42 is coming along, look forward to seeing it .
we will have three of them in SWA area four should make for a good on water display at Mill Ryth later in the year . Exeter,southampton and Coventry !
I can still carry on making the fittings up for Wild Goose whilst waiting for painting weather ,it is all scratch built only parts I have used from kit so far are hull , main deck,funnel casing rudder and prop shafts .i will be using a few of Deans fittings too .
I am Working from John Lamberts Starling plans , photos of John a Haynes HMS Starling and photos of the actual ship on Internet , I have found a good photo of bridge detail taken from the range finder in the book of Capain Walker as well .

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: 01 February 2015, 13:58:57 »
I'm looking forward to sailing with Exeter and Southampton should be quite a spectacle, given the commission date of Southampton it's just possible they could have sailed together, the veterans are bound to question that  ::DD  yes photos are a great help with scratch building, I was fortunate to have been given 56 photos of the type 42s moored at the back of the harbour till a few months ago, taken on board by a Mayhem member they are invaluable, the Jecobin plan is ok for general arrangement but is lacking the detail I'm trying to achieve.
look forward to more of your build and the next exhibition that I think is sometime in March, it's not listed on the SWA website but I'm sure John will let us know. ^^^

Offline Horatio123

• Lt-Commander
« Reply #12 on: 01 February 2015, 17:29:46 »
Hi Joe . I think John is having some medical treatment this week hence delay in getting dates out for the SWA shows .
Action Stations is the week end of 7/8th March it is a WW2 display . Hope you can make it ?
Have managed to get the Festival of Christmas report and photos put on the SWA website at last together with the South Coast Ship Show Display report/photos .

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: 01 February 2015, 18:13:10 »
David, thanks for the information, I do hope John is OK, yes I'll be there.  ^^^

Offline Horatio123

• Lt-Commander
« Reply #14 on: 21 March 2015, 13:00:59 »
Hi Folks ,
        Build is taking a while due to other commitments and three exhibitions . Photos of progress so far , she is now starting to look the part , final fixing of superstructure parts to be done then starting on making up , moulding and fixing the fittings . Taking longer than I expected but scratchbuilding always takes a while doesn't it !!!!!!!!!! :)