Author Topic: Maersk Anglia  (Read 136298 times)

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
Re: Maersk Anglia
« Reply #15 on: 24 February 2013, 10:59:52 »
I see from the photos that the deck has markings on showing the position of deck equipment and other markings, are they printed on the deck when you got the kit or did you put them on your self before the start of the build? 

She looks great and the build looks nice and clean, keep up the good work.  Paul ^^^
« Last Edit: 13 March 2013, 08:12:17 by paul swainson »

Offline Dennis

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: 24 February 2013, 17:16:52 »
Thanks everyone!! Hey Paul as for the deck markings the kit comes that way already. Really makes it easy to see where everything goes. I took some photos of the decks before I prime. That way I can use it them as a guide later in the build.

Offline Dennis

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: 06 March 2013, 14:47:44 »
Hey everyone, another update on the build. I have been working on the superstructure and the fun task of cutting out all the windows. So far I have the window frames in place, once they are sprayed with primer I will give them the final sanding to the proper size. Also have the ac room built along with the pool, all waiting to be prime before adding hand rails, ladders, so forth. I have also begun adding the many supports along the top of the superstructure.

Offline Dennis

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: 06 March 2013, 14:50:23 »
Here are a few more pics. Also have the fore mast built as well as the main mast.

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: 06 March 2013, 16:56:51 »
Hi Dennis, She is looking grand,  I like the windows, the effort you have put into them is quite obvious.  ^^^

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: 06 March 2013, 20:31:24 »
Yes I agree with Joe lots of time and effort has gone into this build.  I notice the structure walls of the bridge and cabin have been cut out side the lines drawn on the styrene from Deans.  Is that due to the size you have taken from the plans or was the markings smaller then what is actually required to meet the plans?   

The reason I ask is that in my build I found the areas marked out did not seam to fit with the plans.   While I like building Warships I would like to build a liner particularly a Hospital ship and I think the best way to build this would be from a hull and then scratch build from the plans that way I can cut each component out from the plans with a fair bit of confidence that it will fit.

Offline Dennis

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: 07 March 2013, 16:05:54 »
Thanks, hey Paul as for the cutting out of the structures. I always cut outside the lines just to leave me some extra material to work with. On this build the hull is close to the plan but not exact. So I have tried  to find a happy medium between the two. For example, when I was building the superstructure I measured both sides before cutting them out. They where different from one side to the other. Then when measuring the plans, they where slightly different as well. So in the end I try to split the difference to get it as close to the plans as possible. I also use alot of photos of the real ship to aid me in most of my builds, that seems to help alot when I need to find the exact size of things. Thats why on alot of my builds you will notice I rarely go by the lines. They are mearly just a guide for me to work off of.

Offline swiftdoc

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: 09 March 2013, 08:13:57 »
Hi Dennis,

your build looks really great ^^^ I have just begun my Muirneag build and have noticed that you improved the kit basis (i.e. stern door). I also modified the door according to the photos of the original.

Offline Dennis

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: 11 March 2013, 00:45:21 »
Thanks Arno, glad to hear you have started your build. Hope to see some pics of it soon!!!.

Offline Dennis

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: 13 March 2013, 03:10:35 »
Hello everyone, a few pics of everything in primer. Next I will be adding some of the brass work and sanding the frames down to their proper size. After which I will add the gutters to each of the frames just before painting. I also still need to cut in the three windows on each side of the hull just below the main superstructure as well and add the frames.

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: 13 March 2013, 08:17:10 »
The primer looks nice and even, no runs or areas that have more then others.   How did you apply the primer?  (air brush, paint brush or spray can)  either way its a great job and a good foundation.  Paul

Offline radio joe

• JOE
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: 13 March 2013, 09:44:32 »
Hi Dennis  I think the priming stage is quite a major turning point in any build, all the superstructure joint lines disappear all the white plastic is gone and the detail stands out, she looks super Dennis.

Offline Dennis

• Captain
« Reply #27 on: 13 March 2013, 13:26:03 »
I agree Joe, once the primer is  on it is time to work on some of the finer details such as stanchions, railings, and so forth.  :) As for the primer Paul, I apply everything with an air brush. I am not very good  with a brush like Colin. His brush work is amazing. I painted sport fishing boats for 15 years, so all I know is break out the spray gun and go at it.  ::DD

Offline mikearace

• Captain
« Reply #28 on: 13 March 2013, 14:53:03 »
Lovely build

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #29 on: 13 March 2013, 22:38:13 »
Hi Dennis,  I have always in the passed used a brush, but this time invested in a small air brush compressor and a single action air brush with a glass feed bottle fitted below.  Not gravity fed.  I am using Humbrol Acrylic paint 12ml tins.  So to get this to work I think I must thin down the paint with about 10% water to allow the paint to flow.  Going to try it out soon but what do you do.  Paul