Author Topic: Maersk Trein  (Read 8412 times)

Offline Dennis

• Captain
Maersk Trein
« on: 08 February 2020, 20:49:41 »
Hello everyone, I have begun my next build the Maersk Trein. Its tha largest model I have attempted. So here goes!! ::DD
« Last Edit: 08 February 2020, 21:25:13 by Dennis »

Offline swiftdoc

• Captain
Re: Maersk Trein
« Reply #1 on: 09 February 2020, 09:07:40 »
Hi Dennis,

Glad to see you back with a new challenge. I will follow your build with great interest. You will need help to get her into the pond later ;D

Cheers,

Arno

Offline Dennis

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 09 February 2020, 17:24:04 »
Hey Arno happy to hear from you. I am definitely going to need a bigger van to get this thing to the water for sure... ::DD

Offline Dennis

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 09 February 2020, 18:19:38 »
After installing the shaft and motor into position I have installed the deck beam supports and two stringers along the bottom of the hull. I did these out of hard wood for added strength as opposed balsa. I have also install two main bulk head walls for added strength and to help pull the twist out of the hull. which is common in fiberglass hull. All in all it is coming along.

Offline Dennis

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 09 February 2020, 18:21:04 »
More pics of the support frames and bulkheads.

Offline Dennis

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 15 February 2020, 21:27:42 »
Working on the electronics compartment I began by installing a raised floor to keep things high and dry. Also have a center cut out where later all the wires will feed through to keep things as neat as possible. Next primed it out and start the sanding. I also located my cut out under the superstructure and installed the deck supports for that and double the support for the transom.

Offline Dennis

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 21 February 2020, 05:06:59 »
Its know time to turn my attention to the thrusters. On this hull just like the real ship it will have a bow and stern thrusters. For the bow thruster I wanted to move it as far forward as possible so I ended up grinding a little on the inside of the hull to allow enough room for the flange were the motor attaches to the top of the tube. Tight fit but got it in. On the stern thruster it was a little tricky due to the prop shaft  but manage to fit it. The stern thruster is just slightly higher than the bow thruster but should do ok. After fitting I glued them in using epoxy for strength and waterproofing, sanded smooth and primed. Having both should make handling very interesting around the docks.

Offline swiftdoc

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 21 February 2020, 20:35:59 »
Your build looks very neat and crisp, Dennis! The stern thruster should be ok, it is sitting far enough under the water line from what we can see on the photo :)

Offline Dennis

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 22 February 2020, 19:10:36 »
Thanks Arno, I was worried that I did not have it the same distance as the front thruster. But I think you are correct should be low enough below the water line. Cant wait to see how it does at the pond!!!

Offline Dennis

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 28 February 2020, 04:40:59 »
Started to work on the rudder and rudder shelf. Decided to go with the split rudder design just like the real ship, it gives you less response than a full rudder but I am using two thrusters on it so should be just fine. Have in stalled the rudder shelf using ply for strength and have epoxied it in place and have it in primer. I also have finished fitting the rudder and have it in finish primer as well. There is also a pic showing the location of the rear thruster. It sits right on top of the shaft tub.

Offline Dennis

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 28 February 2020, 04:42:05 »
A few more pics of the rudder and shelf...

Offline FJF

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: 11 March 2020, 08:18:16 »
Hi Dennis,
Very nice build!
Was the split rudder part of the kit? Did you make it yourself?
Thanks.
Frank

Offline VM

• Able Seaman
« Reply #12 on: 31 March 2020, 14:09:00 »
Hi Dennis, Fantastic stuff....will follow your build with interest as I am contemplating getting this kit myself...

Could you kindly provide the details of the Thrusters, Motor and Prop Shaft you are using??

Offline Dennis

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: 07 April 2020, 05:30:12 »
Hello gents, hope everyone is doing well and staying safe. As for the rudder it comes in two parts. In that  way you can build it as a solid one piece rudder or do a split rudder design. If you go with the solid rudder it does give you more control on turns but I figured I was going with two thrusters so I opt for the split design. As for the running hardware it is as follows, The propeller is 147-17 Brass propeller 50-R-4bl-M4. The propeller shaft is 301-06 2xM4 lg 290mm. The thrusters are 108-03 19x22x154mm. The motor is the falcon 550. Hope the info helps.

Offline Dennis

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: 21 March 2022, 02:26:19 »
Hello everyone been away for a good while but am back to building again. Last time I posted I had the inside of the hull in primer. After which I have done a lot of sanding and have it in top coat. Along with that I have also reinstalled the motors for the thrusters and wire chases to support the wires to try and keep it clean. I also fabricated  the steering arm for the rudder as well, went a little bit heavier this time as the rudder is fairly big. Enjoy!!