Author Topic: SS Furie  (Read 49845 times)

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
SS Furie
« on: 20 August 2008, 13:33:37 »
The next Project that i have underway is the SS Furie.

Here is a photo of her, moored outside the Steam Museum in Maasluis (Holland).

photo's of the model in due course.
« Last Edit: 06 September 2013, 06:17:02 by colin »

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
Re: SS Furie
« Reply #1 on: 20 August 2008, 13:38:47 »
so here's how i made the Rudder.

you can see the Original Prop and Tiller arm, insted of these i have used a tiller arm from Robbe and a Brass Prop from Raboesch

the plateing is from Microstrips, and little brass nails they have been shortend.

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: 20 August 2008, 13:58:35 »
here comes the next Photo.

instead of using the Wood that is supplied with the Kit, i decided to use Plastic, there is enough excess in the kit to supply all the side supports plus all the "H" (or so called double "T") beams.

Cut out of strips of 5mm wide 1mm think then glued together to form the "H" as can be seen in the photo.

These types of Beams can be purchased ready made from Raboesch, but I guess that takes the fun out of Model building

The Prop shaft is also from Raboesch part No. 301-01 then shorted to the Length needed

The Motor is from Buehler, a low RPM about 7000, high Torque about 20watts, low ampere about 2Amps at full drain, this will run off a 6 Volt 4Amps sealed lead acid battery from Panasonic, this will give ample sailing time, as "Full Drain" (blockage of the Prop) hardly ever happens, the motor only costs about 5 Pounds.
http://www.hobby-lobby-modellbau.com/onlineshop/index.php/cat/c391_B-hler-Motors.html

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: 26 August 2008, 09:29:56 »
here's a photo of that shows most of the lockers and skylights.

as most of my projects that i build are always altered in some way.

this time i have used Brass Portholes from RB Fittings, instead of the fittings that came with the Kit.

http://deansmarine.co.uk/shop/product_info.php/cPath/1_4/products_id/682

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: 27 August 2008, 12:06:30 »
how quickly can one build a Model ship, no this can not be true, only days have passed and so much has been built this can not be, your asking your self's?

of course not, some of these photo's are months old, if i remember rightly i started on the Hull in June 2008 and had two weeks Holiday at the end of July so i have managed to get this far, so quickly.

hopefully all going well, and another two week Holiday in December, she should be finished, so please be patients

the Engine room cover on the Original ship is a rectangle in shape with square corners, unlike the Vac form part that comes with the Kit, so in the same way as the Lockers or Bridge was built, I have made the lower part of the Engine room cover, the Vac form for the Upper part was used.

With a little brass wire, some micro strip and rod, the hinges and handles were made, and then to top it off some more portholes from RB Fittings.

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: 27 August 2008, 12:18:01 »
Here we have the Bridge deck, this is were one could spend hours, thinking about whether to use the plastic that comes with the Kit or to make the hole thing out of real wooden planks!

Being that I am not really into wooden parts on my ships (problems when painting and trying to hide the Grain of wood, there is always the big Problem of water and wood does not go well together).

I decided to, as per the Instructions, score the plastic so it looks like planks of wood, so far this seams to have the necessary effect.

The uprights on the inside of the Bridge deck walls and the what looks like a door, are not really described in the Instructions, but can be seen on the Plans and in the Original Photos

So with a little bit of Micro strip, and later some Brass rod for a door handle these parts were also finished.

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: 27 August 2008, 12:35:46 »
So far so good, here's the Bridge its self, plus the chimney.

All relative straight forward, just a lot of Micro strip to be cut up into little bits then glued in place.

To make the little brass loops or tie downs (what ever you would like to call them) is reasonably simple.

I have a small round file that is conical in its shape, so with this and long nose pliers I can bend Brass rod around it to form a loop (Circle) in different ring sizes.

Anyone that is coming to the Open Day 2008, on the Saturday afternoon should be able to see this production, if there is room in the Car!

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: 13 October 2008, 11:26:19 »
here we have some more pictures for you all, as you see i have not been sitting still and doing nothing!!

we have the Masts that has been made out of Brass (all parts supplied by Albion Alloys) Plus of course the Navigation lights supplied in the Kit.
http://deansmarine.co.uk/shop/index.php/cPath/51

also there is the Main Towing Winch, this is a very straight forward Build, in comparison to the Anchor Winch.

and last but not least, my way of making the little Dingies look a little nicer, by using some
1,5 x 1,5mm and
1 x 1 mm Micro Strips

i don't think theres much need to explain the makings, the photo's speak for them self's?
« Last Edit: 02 September 2014, 06:40:16 by colin »

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: 23 November 2008, 16:55:33 »
we are now getting near to compleating this Model!

just the rigging to finish

sorry about the quality of the photo's it was evening and i had to use a flash!

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: 23 November 2008, 16:57:09 »
and a couple more Photo's of the Hole Ship

Offline karlgalster

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 23 November 2008, 17:51:30 »
Very nice model Colin. May I enquire what paints you used and how applied?

Robin

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: 24 November 2008, 05:09:19 »
Hi Robin,

of course you may enquire!!! we are all here to help each other!!

for many years now i have used Humbrol enamel paints, but i gather that they will be faded out for the acrylics, I'll have to learn again then!!

on this ship, all the painting was done by normal painters brushes, of course in different sizes..

once dry then sprayed with a clear satin varnish, a normal spray can from your D.I.Y shop

on the hull there are a few coats of varnish, thus if at anytime the ship bumps into anything, or a scratch, the main paint job is not harmed, all that needs to be done to repair the Job, spray with satin varnish again and the scratch disappears

Offline colin

• Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: 01 May 2009, 17:41:02 »
its been a long time since i have posted in this thread, the winter wait is over and now that we have such beautiful weather its time for the very proud owner "my Wife" to take the Furie on its Maiden Voyage and to get the Furie Christend
(the name "Furie" in German also means "wild Horse") "no comments from me"

the first Photo; waiting for the Christening and the launch off of the Clubs Slipway

more photo's to follow when i get them from the Photographer

Offline karlgalster

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: 02 May 2009, 12:08:33 »
Colin
Furie looks very good on the water. Impressive boat launcher as well. My wife also has started to sail one of my boats. We have a few local steering competitions and my wife is slowly getting better to the extent that it could get embarrassing soon!
Robin

Offline hotjava

• Lt-Commander
  • I like to build things
« Reply #14 on: 02 May 2009, 15:16:11 »
Very nice Colin!  Thanks for all the great detailed photos!
You will have lots of compliments and fun with your tug!

Oliver