Author Topic: HMS Illustrious.  (Read 364992 times)

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
Re: HMS Illustrious.
« Reply #240 on: 14 March 2015, 22:20:19 »
Thanks Arno, how to you mount this screw driver so that you get a straight inline hole.

Offline swiftdoc

• Captain
« Reply #241 on: 15 March 2015, 08:42:42 »
I have no mechanical device, only do it by my hands. Fort short distances it works, otherwise you will need a stand to mount the screw driver I suppose.

Offline Dennis

• Captain
« Reply #242 on: 18 March 2015, 00:09:20 »
Yea I have tried in the past to use my dremel with the stand did not work well for plastic, like Arno I think the revs are to high heating the plastic. I finally purchase a variable small drill press that seems to do much better and allows me to drill thick stock accurately. The one I use is a Skil.

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #243 on: 18 March 2015, 21:43:01 »
I have a small RS hand drill which is great for small and detail work, but will only take the dremel size accessories so I can not drill with a 3.2 mm final size, so am going to try a 2.5 or 3 mm and then enlarge with a round file, and see how I get on.  Will make a small 10 mm jig so that the unit sits square and I can drill.

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #244 on: 30 March 2015, 16:45:52 »
Well I have racked my brains and really had a hard job to find a way to drill the gun barrell access holes, which are clean and straight.  Then just like any other thought, up pops the idea.  I made a jig using a square block of wood with a 10 mm hole drilled through the centre.  Then cut the square to 16 mm in length to match the size of the tube.  Then drilled 3 mm holes in a position 3.5 mm in from each end on a straight line draw down the center.  I put each section into the center of the jig and then using my small hand held RS drill; drill it using the holes already drilled.  Job done test worked fine so onwards and upwards.

The other problem I have been struggling with hence the quiet spell is the stern of the keel.  Trying to find a way to insert the 8 mm thick prop shaft into the keel and through the bulkheads.   Well this has been done and I am now bonding the bulkheads to the keel.  Can only do two a day to ensure the glue bonds and cures to ensure a strong bond.  So as I progress will post photos for the work as I go along.  Will not bore you with photos of each frame will show sections as I go along.

Jig Photos now added to this blog

Offline Dennis

• Captain
« Reply #245 on: 01 April 2015, 00:26:32 »
Well done Paul, what a great idea!!! I will have to try that with some of the small brass I have been trying to drill as it is round stock as well. ^^^ ^^^

Offline swiftdoc

• Captain
« Reply #246 on: 01 April 2015, 07:24:28 »
great idea, Paul :) I will give a try to that as well!

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #247 on: 01 April 2015, 13:21:32 »
Your welcome guys, it helps when a problem is resolved and shared with others.  That is how we expand our knowledge base.  :)  Photo of the plank and frame to follow.

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #248 on: 02 April 2015, 13:16:57 »
Here are the frame section from 13 to 24 now in place and bonded with the prop shafts located and in position ready to be bonded once the bilge keels are in place and the location for the position of the two 'A' frames have been recorded in bulkhead 19.

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #249 on: 02 April 2015, 13:21:46 »
I am sure some of you will notice the cut out sections along both side of the frames.  These are the platforms for the boat decks, quarter deck and aft side deck ready for supporting  the decks when fitted.  There will be no need to use supports for these decks as I have put them in at the planning stage.  This will save a lot of hassle and fiddly work later, just build the decks and slide in and bond. ^^^ :)

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #250 on: 13 April 2015, 14:36:21 »
Can any one help with some information on the attached photo which show some sort of window/slide cover or filter to the rear of the 4.5 HA/LA Mk111 gun turrets.  I have done the first set of turrets and fitted the air vents and shell extractor on the the 8 turrets, but not really sure what these area are.
1. the op of the turret in the foreground has some sort of riveted seam in the shape of a cover.
2. the turret in the background has what looks like windows/filters on the belvel of the turret at the rear.

Have not been able to trace any info so any gunnery officer/seaman have an idea what they might be?

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #251 on: 13 April 2015, 18:44:51 »
Here are photos of the 1st batch of 8 gun turrets which I will use for the 2nd aircraft carrier (GRP hull).  These where a trail run to iron out the build process so the 2nd batch for the plank and frame hull will be much better.   I found some photos which show the position of the air vents and the shell case extraction chute and the rear of the turrets I have put in the detail of the photos which I think is rear hatches to enter and leave the gun turret by the gun crew.

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #252 on: 15 April 2015, 17:25:10 »
Bit more done today, worked out the area of the platform which will hide the lead weight and strengthen the frames when bonded in.  Also checked the position of the motors in relation to the propshafts.  All drive will be by belt so need to ensure clearance for the belt and pulley system.   Once the template was measured and marked out on card this was cut and as the photos show fitted in without any problem.   The template will now be transferred to a section of 3.6mm ply ready for cutting and filling to fit.   The center line will be the cut line to fit in each section and when planking is complete will be removed and bonded in once the lead balance has been put in.  All this planning now will aid the fitment of motors and servo along with wiring so I should not have to make any adjustment and work in confined places later in the build.   I will also be putting cable conduits along and through the frames to keep wiring clear and tidy.

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #253 on: 17 April 2015, 20:40:03 »
all the frames have now been installed along with the rudder and all three propshafts with A frames located and ready for the making of the securing brackets.  This will hopefully be worked out next week and then made.  Have to see what will be the best way.  Also did some work on the GRP hull in the same dock yard.

Offline paul swainson

• Admiral
« Reply #254 on: 23 April 2015, 20:20:48 »
More work carried out on Lusty, her lower deck (Plate form for running gear has been cut and fitted (temp) so that the access for the props can now be seen.   I have now removed the keel supports and turn the hull upside down.  I have started to rub down the frames so that the planks will lie as flat as possible and follow the contours  of the hull.  I have her sitting on the flight deck sheets to mark off the frame locations and work out were the bow starts and the stern so that I can make the moulded sections in these areas with balsa wood block and then sand to shape.  Tested with a couple of strips of plank wood to get the feel.