Author Topic: M.V. Velarde build  (Read 42595 times)

Offline swiftdoc

• Captain
Re: M.V. Velarde build
« Reply #60 on: 20 February 2017, 08:49:47 »
Thank you for the kind words.

The figures are made by Preiser. They are not the right scale (1/87th instead of 1/96th) but you can hardly recognize the difference.

Have a look here for instance:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Preiser-10423-H0-Arbeiter-mit-Schutzkleidung-6-Figuren-handbemalt-Neu-/232212103631?hash=item3610eb81cf:g:QbsAAOxy9eVRQeLu

and

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Preiser-10037-H0-Autokran-Personal-6-Figuren-handbemalt-Neu-/361883351475?hash=item5441edb9b3:m:mXr969nHChIuyspcZK12Qjw

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #61 on: 22 February 2017, 05:40:48 »
the figures that i have use are from Preiser (non paited) like the ones in the link below, most people know this name from model railways, they also do some 1:100 scale figures as well, some ready painted some not!

if you google with this search option you will find a few shops in the UK that sell these figures:

"Preiser detailed-figures 1:100"
https://www.preiser-figuren.de/massstab_suche,1:100

mainly used in Architecture offices?

order numbers from Preiser:
74090, 190 pices unpainted, allsorts
74009, 6 pices painted (orange) mechanics

some shops do the unpainted ones in groups of six, like this german shop for example!
this is were i got my figures from:
3 figures came from part no. 124501
2 figures come from part no. 124510
3 figures come from part no. 124529
the rest landed in the bin..!!!
http://www.modulor.de/shop/oxid.php/sid/x/shp/oxbaseshop/cl/details/anid/TLGM/pgNr/2

Offline thomas australia

• Able Seaman
« Reply #62 on: 12 September 2020, 08:03:51 »
Hello everybody.
I don't know if I'm doing this correctly, I have just joined the Forum as I have recently purchased a Velarde kit.
I have been a modeller for many years and am now semi retired.
Does anyone have any tips or traps in the building process for Velarde? I am a little daunted at the moment with doing all the cutouts in the hull, however will follow the build instructions as far as drilling around them first and then using a cutting disc and grinder to finish. Does anyone have any advice as to how to proceed with this critical first stage?
Cheers Tom

Offline colin

• Building HMS Enchantress
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #63 on: 13 September 2020, 09:47:11 »
Hi Tom,
I have not built the Velarde, but I would imagine it's much like any other kit, and the procedure/process is much the same...
I think the Velarde kit has laser cut plastic, all of the edges need cleaning/sanding to remove the laser cut gloss (burnt) before glueing..

As for drilling holes in fiberglass.. I personally drill a hole that is at least 2 times smaller than the hole required, then open it out with a very fine files..
Because the fiberglass is prone to chip when drilling or using corse files..

I would only use a sanding/cutting disc, or grinder if the hole when finished would be twice the size of the grinder/sanding disc..

Having said that, if for example the freeing ports were 1cm x 2cm I would used a small drill and drill lots of little holes around the marked area, staying well within the marked area, then with a fine file open the hole to the required size..

This is the way I would do it.. others might have other ways..

Offline swiftdoc

• Captain
« Reply #64 on: 13 September 2020, 20:22:55 »
I did it the same way as Colin has explained. All of the openings you can see at the first batch of photos in this thread were made using this method: first drill some small holes and then open it using very fine files. It takes some time but is well worth the effort as you can be sure that the edges will not chip.

Offline thomas australia

• Able Seaman
« Reply #65 on: 16 September 2020, 07:25:26 »
Thank you for your replies.
swiftdoc your Velarde looks beautiful and it's just going to be a case of slow and steady.
Thanks again
Kind regards
Tom