Author Topic: HMS Cossack  (Read 35273 times)

Offline Charles Hart

• Warrant Officer
Re: HMS Cossack
« Reply #15 on: 22 August 2018, 19:55:53 »
More build images

Offline Tjorven

• Lieutenant
  • Building HMS Cossack
« Reply #16 on: 23 September 2018, 14:22:51 »
Yours is looking "cleaner" then mine hehe.

Anyway, since the last post I have made a (small) test run (with a "life-cord" attached to it). Found out that with the kit rudder, the turning circle at slow speed is about 2 shiplengths and at higher speeds it seemed to be more to 3 shiplengths. At this time I can live with that.

Further on I have trimmed the decks (but not glued them to the hull yet) and am working on the forward upper decks and bridge. Pictures will follow soon.

But at the moment I am having some troubles with the DC tower and the range finder since 2 items, one ofr each, appeared to be numbered the same in the kit and it's difficult to make up wich on is for the rangefinder and wich one is for the DC tower. It are the moulded bases. I think I know how it is, but then all the pieces don't fit together on the rangefinder.

Any pictures of completed ones, or how it should form up together are welcome.

Offline Charles Hart

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #17 on: 23 September 2018, 19:04:40 »
Hi Tjorven – hope attached image may help.

Offline Tjorven

• Lieutenant
  • Building HMS Cossack
« Reply #18 on: 23 September 2018, 20:59:42 »
So if I see it correctly you used the GREEN casting, wich has a greater diameter then the yellow one, for the DC tower. But on my green item, it has a door moulded in and some (miscasting) inside wich looks like an item to hold the range finder itself (but it's too small and slightly angled) but the yellow one has nothing like that + a curve at the bottom wich I don't find on the plans themselves.

Also the green one it's diameter is in accordance with the plastic bottom plate 53 on the sheets.

Did you use the vacforming for the DC tower? I tried mine but it is not as smooth as I want it so I'm gonna give it a try to make my own.

Another thing I have found is that some of the light alloy castings are a bit off. I got one item, signal lamp, D23, that should pop up over the bridge edge, but it is short about 1 cm.  And some numbers that don't appear in the trays, etc.

Offline Charles Hart

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #19 on: 24 September 2018, 11:17:26 »
Hi Tjorven – another image which my help

Offline Charles Hart

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #20 on: 24 September 2018, 11:17:50 »
And one more

Offline Tjorven

• Lieutenant
  • Building HMS Cossack
« Reply #21 on: 30 September 2018, 21:44:56 »
So, finally some long overdue pictures together with some comments.
First picture, all over with all framing and electronics wired up.
Will have to change the rudder servo for a new one soon cause with the angle testing I blew up that internals of that servo mechanically. It got jammed and wanted to turn even further so yeah, ...

Offline Tjorven

• Lieutenant
  • Building HMS Cossack
« Reply #22 on: 30 September 2018, 21:55:35 »
So I continue with some close-ups. It's not perfect, I know I made some mistakes but it's my first build, so I'm happy with it, and have learned already a lot of things how to do better or more efficient next boat.
First one is the stern with engines and rudder. 1 shaft is a little off-centre due to me not being patient enough to remove the holding tape after putting in the epoxy. That gave some problems later on with the placement of the motors but I've managed to get it vibration free.

Second one are the receiver and controllers. I need some tidying there in the wiring before I bond the decks to the hull, but that is for way later on, when I am finished with the superstructures. In my opinion making them a close fit on each other is easier when I'm able to have the deck on it's own on a flat surface.

Third comes the battery try. A rubber band keeps them in place.

Offline Tjorven

• Lieutenant
  • Building HMS Cossack
« Reply #23 on: 30 September 2018, 22:03:34 »
First picture is the trimmed decks. Only the aft of the foredeck needs to be trimmed down to where the bulkhead is.

2nd and 3th shows the acces hole with the ridge on a tight fit to the superstructure. To make this I made the superstructure first, made all components for the ridge, and placed them in the superstructure. Then out of spare wood I made a pattern to keep all parts in place, measured it out on the deck, and then bonded the parts to the deck. Will apply the same method to the stern superstructure since it worked out very well.

Last picture shows the superstructure in place.

Offline Tjorven

• Lieutenant
  • Building HMS Cossack
« Reply #24 on: 30 September 2018, 22:04:52 »
Some pictures of the superstructure. The bridge hasn't been bonded to the other part yet. And not all parts have been assembled also.

Offline Tjorven

• Lieutenant
  • Building HMS Cossack
« Reply #25 on: 30 September 2018, 22:08:35 »
In the bridge there was some 0.5mm plastic that needed to be made like it was wood, so I used wood.
Out of coffee stirrers, I made some decks. In the end it looks good, and once varnished or whatever I will do to it (unsure yet how to make them waterproof) they will be bonded to the bridge once that one also has gotten it's paint job.

Took me alot of time to make these a close fit, as each stirring stick had to be cut in half in the length to appear like a reasonable size in planking. Biggest part also needed to be elevated and the curves took some carefull sanding down. Finished those today.

Offline Tjorven

• Lieutenant
  • Building HMS Cossack
« Reply #26 on: 30 September 2018, 22:14:12 »
And then I also started on some components for the bridge so I knew where to glue in the bridge dividers.
After some troubles with the bases for the rangefinder and conning tower, I've gotten the answer from Deans.
First picture is the range finder in 3 parts still. The center pivot didn't came out of the moulding high enough so I'll have to raise it. 
The vac forming for the conning tower, I couldn't get it right. So I drew up a plan and it's going to be in a lathe- and milling machine.

2nd picture shows some parts loosely fitted to give an impression on size and location and standing hights.

3th is a sideshot to give an impresson on the hight of the elevated platform.

Offline Charles Hart

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #27 on: 01 October 2018, 12:35:38 »
Hi Tjorven – making good progress with your model! looking good.

Offline Tjorven

• Lieutenant
  • Building HMS Cossack
« Reply #28 on: 04 October 2018, 20:51:30 »
I am now working on the signal platforms, and have the bottom parts ready, and tried to bend the sides but the bend is rather strong and I don't get it right without breaking the sheet. Any hints and tricks, I tried hot water but it disformes the plastic while the bend isn't really possible to be made.

Offline Charles Hart

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #29 on: 05 October 2018, 09:08:41 »
Hi Tjorven – I used the thinest plastic sheet (0.5mm) to form the curved sides – rolled over the barrel of a marker pen, gradually increasing pressure – see attached image.